Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big Bend Open Road Race

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would feel more comfortable doing this race in a RWD model 3 than my P3D. RWD is 10-15% more efficient and has 18” tires. I do think it’s possible make it there and back on one charge. Going to be very close not factoring in wind or cold weather.

CROSSPOST, replying to a post in another thread.

I’m interested. Appears you start in ft stockton and race south day one to Sanderson and day two race back up north. Where do you charge in Sanderson if there are 3-5 Tesla’s in this race?

Currently there is zero public charging options available Sanderson. Charlie suggested thinking about renting a generator and rigging some HPWC to it.

Currently as I understand the rules and schedule (from someone that has run in it) you'll only have about 1 hour time, maybe a bit less, to take on as much charge as you can at the mid-point. Rules about whether it is okay to do that are...well not even vague. There's not really much there.
I assume if we average 100mph we are going to cut range in half.
Maybe less range than that. The starting line is a few miles out of Fort Stockton on the opposite side of town from the Supercharger. It'll be challenging to have more than 95% charge at the starting line, as Wh/mile is poor when you have limited regen. My guess right now is it'll take ALL of that to get to the end and back, with no buffer margin.
One of us will need to bring a spare tire(s) and jack, unless the organizers have those available.
I have been doing Autocross and track events with a full change of tires and all required equipment to do a tire swap packed in my vehicle. I've got pictures, have been meaning to post about how to do this. I'm working on refining the technique, but it's already there.

I would feel more comfortable doing this race in a RWD model 3 than my P3D. RWD is 10-15% more efficient and has 18” tires. I do think it’s possible make it there and back on one charge. Going to be very close not factoring in wind or cold weather.
The RWD probably has a bit better chance. Advantage of the P is you can Track Mode during the initial pre-race charge, to start with your battery cooled. I think a sizable issue will be energy for the supercan to get rid of a huge amount of heat.

Weather of the day will also be an issue that we'll need margin for.

One issue I'm not sure about is testing. You can't really practice the race in situ until the week-of, in the qualifying runs. Beyond safety issue of running full out on a public road, if you ever get a speeding ticket in the area it is a lifetime ban from the event.

You can't really simulate it accurately with a road circuit track, because that's so much up and down putting energy into your brakes and acceleration. Maybe testing on a large oval where you could maintain roughly 100mph on corners would be the thing to get a better idea of expected performance and battery expenditure? Sad that Texas World Speedway is gone, that would probably have worked.

• Love
Reactions: TexasTeslaRacing
Are you allowed to fuel up at halftime in Sanderson?

The dragtimes guy, Brooks, had a large truck attend his local drag strip and it was loaded with batteries and two wall chargers onboard. He used it to get more charge between races instead of going back to the supercharger. Anyone in Texas have one of those we can rent???

Reactions: SammichLover
Are you allowed to fuel up at halftime in Sanderson?
As long as you are doing it in the "paddock" at the Sanderson Courthouse it isn't forbidden. The rules are very minimal around all of this, doesn't say anything about fueling up or what you can do during the turn-around. Whether it would be allowed? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I haven't contacted the head race organizers. I only know the approximate time for turn-around in Sanderson from a past competitor (who will also be running this year). I'm going to try to make room in my schedule to get out, if not volunteer, to this April's event. Get a handle on things and talk to the people that wrote the rules.
The dragtimes guy, Brooks, had a large truck attend his local drag strip and it was loaded with batteries and two wall chargers onboard. He used it to get more charge between races instead of going back to the supercharger. Anyone in Texas have one of those we can rent???
That's a pretty cool idea. Is there video or pictures online of this, how they fastened stuff down and wired it up? A full Tesla Powerwall 2.0 is 13kWh I think? That'd be about as much as you'd be able to get into an LR 3 via L2 in an hour. One Powerwall, hooked to one HPWC, per vehicle.

Last edited:
I bet this RV park has at least a 32AMP hookup we can use. Appears to be a few miles from the finish line. Who’s interested in a March weekend dry run?

Canyons RV Park
508 East Oak/ Hwy. 90 East
(432) 345-2916
(44 Spaces)
Huh, possible it has some NEMA 14-50 plugs, rather than limited to near-useless-to-us 30A 120V RV plugs, but no BEVs have ever come through and entered them into plugshare.

These RV parks do tend to fill up so it'd take substantial booking ahead.....or horse trading with someone renting a spot at the time? :)

We are working on an April 2020 timeline, so working out something ahead seems very possible. Downside is that's only about 7kWh rather than 11kWh bump.

If we get multiple entries, and that's not easy because registration fills within a few hours, we might stagger them across the 110mph, 105mph, and 100mph categories. Just so you get at least 1 across the line if it ends up tighter than expected (due to wind or something).

EDIT: I'm not sure yet about making it out in March. My schedule is looking kinda full. Unfortunately I missed an opportunity to swing through Sanderson earlier, ran short on time. Maybe will take another look at my schedule, what's going to fit for you?

Last edited:
March 16th or 30th would work best for me. I know we can't "speed" on this stretch of road, but at least we can drive the course and see what the RV park has available.

After thinking about this more today if we enter the Touring 100mph category we should make the roundtrip. Assuming we all have RWD Model 3's with 18's and no wind or temps below 50F. Shouldn't be a problem as the average temp for late April is mid 80's.

I'm not worried about low temps at that time of year. Wind could certainly be an issue. If it's a head wind in one direction would likely adjust the speed modestly up with it, and a corresponding amount down drive into it. Less than optimal as it's unlikely to fully mitigate wind effect, and if the wind changes to our disadvantage between first leg and second leg it'll really hurt, but it's a strategy to buy some margin. I'm pretty sure they sum the two leg times together for determining how close to the target time (AKA target average speed).

My intention is to aim to use AWD, because that's what I have, at 105mph average if it looks reasonably possible, because I don't have a 15 pieces of flair outlook on life. However I am still highly supportive of anyone not choosing to push that far, because I'm not a tool like Stan. :D

My intention right now is to use some sort of performance summer tires on 18" Aero rims. I'm concerned about the MXM4 getting a bit mushy & greasy under heavy use like this. I know Tesla specific version is W rated but my experience with them leads me to suspect putting them under this kind of stress won't be friendly to them. The Tesla version of the Michelin PS4S is available in 235/45R18 and is an excellent summer tire with a very good RR for performance provided. It is also a top shelf tire in the wet, on the off-chance we run into rain.

Plus I'd be happy driving on that tire away from this, for the above reasons.

The lack of Aeros rims option is definitely a mark against using the P+.

== == ==

March 30th may work for me. March 16 definitely doesn't. If you want to meet somewhere in vicinity of Austin and car pool the rest of the way we could possible do that. The tricky part is where to park for the day.

Last edited:
Mobile Charging For Everything Electric

Don't know if they can make it to Sanderson.

I'll be at the halfway point in Sanderson on Saturday the 27th. Hope to see some of you there.
Neat, I’ll contact them. I have suspicions they are using Chademo, though, because of the 50kW number.

I’m aiming to get out there. Going to sign up to volunteer so could be anywhere but I’ll get in touch.

Racers all over Fort Stockton today - some practice runs, more tomorrow.
Intriguing to watch full-race cars idling slowly through town to the hotels - just like "oh well, they're here again".

Plan to meet up at the Sanderson courthouse tomorrow with a friend's yellow Porsche - I'll be in a black S.
Hope to see some of you there.

Would like to race next year - hope others do, too.

Will post pics tomorrow or Sunday.

A Freightliner raced last year! I assume that is a full-size truck?
BTW for those interested, I have the story on this. It was the semi-tractor being used to tow the trailer carrying someone's Ford GT. The Ford GT puked out mechanically ahead of the race and they couldn't get it fixed in time, so rather than forfeit his entry the driver decided "well then, I'm just going to race the truck". LOL

Charlie,

I'm leaving straight from work today, should be into Fort Stockton at roughly midnight or so. I couldn't 100% commit before this week about arrival time so I may or may not be working as a volunteer. That's all in the email wind right now. Depending on how that works out I might meet you down there in Sanderson the morning instead.