Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford says owners can start using superchargers today (Feb 29)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is good to know that Tesla is working on a NACS to NACS supercharger extension cord that people can purchase. Hopefully ford owners buy one.
So Tesla is opening their SC network. Tesla is working on an extension cord. And, Tesla is doing everything it can to make sure it's convenient for every other EV to charge at a SC.
Meanwhile the other EV manufacturers are doing what exactly to improve on their charging infrastructure? Is Ford building a charging infrastructure like Teslas or are they just going to coat tail? What about Toyota, Honda, Nissan? So everyone is just going to produce EVs relying on the Tesla network? And how long is Teslas supposed to sustain it? Just recently on my way back from San Diego I had to wait for 15 minutes to charge at a SC. I can only imagine what it'll be like from now on.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and alexgr
So Tesla is opening their SC network. Tesla is working on an extension cord. And, Tesla is doing everything it can to make sure it's convenient for every other EV to charge at a SC.
Meanwhile the other EV manufacturers are doing what exactly to improve on their charging infrastructure? Is Ford building a charging infrastructure like Teslas or are they just going to coat tail? What about Toyota, Honda, Nissan? So everyone is just going to produce EVs relying on the Tesla network? And how long is Teslas supposed to sustain it? Just recently on my way back from San Diego I had to wait for 15 minutes to charge at a SC. I can only imagine what it'll be like from now on.
IMHO Tesla’s primary mission is to accelerate the transition to renewable energy worldwide. Therefore Tesla is primarily a renewable energy company that, for now, happens to build BEVs. The energy side of the business - megapacks, solar and charging networks - has been slower to ramp in comparison. From an energy standpoint, ramping the charging network has been job one to attempt to keep up with BEV production/demand. Now we are starting to see the megapack (commercial energy) business ramp given battery production constraints are easing. Eventually, the energy business will exceed the revenue generated by the BEV business. None of the other auto manufacturers are energy businesses - they are and have only been in the automotive sector for decades. A small handful of them are investing in charging networks - like VW (EA), Mercedes, Rivian, etc., but the majority will never do so since there are already many players in the charging space. Tesla is clearly the leader though - so I expect Tesla to accelerate growth of the SC network due to third party adoption for the next 5-10 years at least.

Ford is happy to have the Supercharger network, but they try to integrate a bunch of different networks in their app and vehicles.

Nissan has long partnered with EVGo, as has General Motors.

Honda is a partner in IONNA, which is the charging joint venture of BMW, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes-Benz, and Stellantis.
They want it to be the North American Ionity.
The business started running in February 2024. We'll see how fast they move to get chargers built. It's at least something, if only rejecting Electrify America.

IMHO Tesla’s primary mission is to accelerate the transition to renewable energy worldwide. Therefore Tesla is primarily a renewable energy company that, for now, happens to build BEVs. The energy side of the business - megapacks, solar and charging networks - has been slower to ramp in comparison. From an energy standpoint, ramping the charging network has been job one to attempt to keep up with BEV production/demand. Now we are starting to see the megapack (commercial energy) business ramp given battery production constraints are easing. Eventually, the energy business will exceed the revenue generated by the BEV business. None of the other auto manufacturers are energy businesses - they are and have only been in the automotive sector for decades. A small handful of them are investing in charging networks - like VW (EA), Mercedes, Rivian, etc., but the majority will never do so since there are already many players in the charging space. Tesla is clearly the leader though - so I expect Tesla to accelerate growth of the SC network due to third party adoption for the next 5-10 years at least.
Aah so Tesla is primarily an energy company also selling cars. Wonder when Exxon will get into the ICE business.
So Tesla is screwing their own BEV drivers at the cost of becoming a utility company. Why not establish yourself as a utility company first by making sure that those who have invested in your product get the benefits first? Right not Tesla drivers have to wait to charge their cars.

It is good to know that Tesla is working on a NACS to NACS supercharger extension cord that people can purchase. Hopefully ford owners buy one.
That would be handy for Teslas at times, too. I’ve had occasions in the winter when they don’t plow close enough to the chargers and the cord won’t reach. Also think cybertruck.

If I were a non-Tesla owner I’d invest in one both because I wouldn’t want to block 3 stalls at once and screw other users and also because it would make it much easier, particularly if there are only a few stalls open.
I’d view the extension cord as a service to Tesla owners for the reasons mentioned above.

As for Tesla doing everything for ‘the others,’ I think you’re thinking about it wrong. One of the primary barriers to EV adoption in the U.S. is the poor charging infrastructure. This shouldn’t be an ‘us vs them’ discussion, rather it should be a ‘how can we all move forward’ discussion. I don’t want my experience compromised, but the more EV adoption there is, the more we all benefit.

Last edited:
That would be handy for Tesla’s at times, too. I’ve had occasions in the winter when they don’t plow close enough to the chargers and the cord won’t reach. Also think cybertruck.

If I were a non-Tesla owner I’d invest in one both because I wouldn’t want to block 3 stalls at once and screw other users and also because it would make it much easier, particularly if there are only a few stalls open.

I’d view the extension cord as a service to Tesla owners for the reasons mentioned above.

As for Tesla doing everything for ‘the others,’ I think you’re thinking about it wrong. One of the primary barriers to EV adoption in the U.S. is the poor charging infrastructure. This shouldn’t be an ‘us vs them’ discussion, rather it should be a ‘how can we all move forward’ discussion. I don’t want my experience compromised, but the more EV adoption there is, the more we all benefit.
Yes the extension cord would be great for people that are even just hauling bikes behind their vehicle on a hitch.

And Tesla is adding new supercharger locations at a very good pace. I read a new location roughly every 12 hours.

I’m sure quite a few Tesla owners will buy a non Tesla now that they can use the supercharger network. But just by making all EVs better for long distance travel will bring more people overall into EVs and Tesla sales will ultimately increase.

Aah so Tesla is primarily an energy company also selling cars. Wonder when Exxon will get into the ICE business.
So Tesla is screwing their own BEV drivers at the cost of becoming a utility company. Why not establish yourself as a utility company first by making sure that those who have invested in your product get the benefits first? Right not Tesla drivers have to wait to charge their cars.
Tesla has always clearly indicated that their mission is to accelerate the transition to renewable energy and a big part of that is transitioning the transportation fleet to electric vehicles as quickly as possible. Anyone who understands the mission and the three master plans that have clearly outlined that mission over the last ten years knows that building out a vehicle charging network for ALL BEVs serves to accelerate the fleet transition. It’s about saving the planet not about customer service only for Tesla owners. I get that it’s going to be more frustrating having third parties use the SC network, I’m not entirely enthused about it either, but I’ve gone in with eyes wide open knowing this change was coming eventually, it was simply a question of when.

That would be handy for Teslas at times, too. I’ve had occasions in the winter when they don’t plow close enough to the chargers and the cord won’t reach. Also think cybertruck.

I know I'm in the minority here because I'm not thinking of the overall benefit to the EV kind. I bought a Tesla after owning not one but 2 non Tesla EVs.
I don't know where you live but here in LA there's a lot of non Teslas. People not only line up at CCS chargers but also at SC. There are times when I have to wait at the Del Amo SC.
Sorry if I don't share the "This will help in EV adaption" sentiment. Maybe outside of CA things are rosy but not here. Tesla is screwing their own customers and their own sales but I guess that was always their intent. To be a utility company.

Reactions: Falcon73
I know I'm in the minority here because I'm not thinking of the overall benefit to the EV kind. I bought a Tesla after owning not one but 2 non Tesla EVs.
I don't know where you live but here in LA there's a lot of non Teslas. People not only line up at CCS chargers but also at SC. There are times when I have to wait at the Del Amo SC.
Sorry if I don't share the "This will help in EV adaption" sentiment. Maybe outside of CA things are rosy but not here. Tesla is screwing their own customers and their own sales but I guess that was always their intent. To be a utility company.
Tesla’s intent is to accelerate the transition. Not keep a moat to try and keep sales.

And there are several new sites under construction in LA. (Orange triangles). And proposed locations (blue). Of course some locations are marked for quite a while before going active.

By having more vehicles use the supercharger network, I suspect Tesla will keep ramping new locations.

Attachments

• 452FA457-C1CE-421B-B48A-B59C5DC51B9D.png
    452FA457-C1CE-421B-B48A-B59C5DC51B9D.png
    353 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: HitchHiker71
Ford is happy to have the Supercharger network, but they try to integrate a bunch of different networks in their app and vehicles.

Nissan has long partnered with EVGo, as has General Motors.

Honda is a partner in IONNA, which is the charging joint venture of BMW, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes-Benz, and Stellantis.
They want it to be the North American Ionity.
The business started running in February 2024. We'll see how fast they move to get chargers built. It's at least something, if only rejecting Electrify America.

The Bucees travel center near me now has Mercedes branded Chargepoint chargers (as well as Tesla SCs!) and there are a bunch of Pilot/Flying J locations in North Texas actively installing GM/EVgo chargers.

There does appear to be quite a bit of charger network expansion in the works. Walmart is starting to install their own network (replacing EA?), 7-11 is installing their own network, BP is, of course, going to purchase and operate their own Tesla SCs.

Francis Energy operates a pretty good network in Oklahoma, with chargers in a lot of small towns. It's not at Tesla reliability, but it opens up a large part of the state that Tesla has pretty much ignored.

EA even seems to be trying to improve their act.

The biggest problem I see is that all of the CCS charger sites I see are very when compared to Tesla sites.

Reactions: alexgr
The Bucees travel center near me now has Mercedes branded Chargepoint chargers (as well as Tesla SCs!) and there are a bunch of Pilot/Flying J locations in North Texas actively installing GM/EVgo chargers.

There does appear to be quite a bit of charger network expansion in the works. Walmart is starting to install their own network (replacing EA?), 7-11 is installing their own network, BP is, of course, going to purchase and operate their own Tesla SCs.

Francis Energy operates a pretty good network in Oklahoma, with chargers in a lot of small towns. It's not at Tesla reliability, but it opens up a large part of the state that Tesla has pretty much ignored.

EA even seems to be trying to improve their act.

The biggest problem I see is that all of the CCS charger sites I see are very when compared to Tesla sites.
The only reason for the existence of many networks like Francis Energy is to transfer money from taxpayers to enrich the owners and politicians. If 80% of the nominal installation cost of a charger is covered by taxpayer donations it becomes a true Eldorado for anyone connected to the politicians and commissions who decides on the grants etc. Hike your price by 40%, get 80% from the government and 20% is free money for you, and you do not care at all if a single car will charge at your charger. I see empty Francis Energy chargers every day. A charging car there is rather an abnormality.

That said, for non-Tesla chargers to work for the people, they absolutely must accept card payments just like gas stations. The only explanation for not having it I see is that the owners of those networks are making money on something else other than charging cars.

Reactions: hydro
This is the state of the SC chargers in Socal. Pardon my lack of enthusiasm for the overall betterment of the non Tesla EV community. Most people advocating this have charging at home. For the rest of us this is the reality.
It will be a greater issue for people in densely populated areas where many people live in apartments and have no access to home chargers. One possibility would be to regulate the construction of new apartments require access to level 1 and level 2 chargers for most tenants.

• Love
Reactions: KJD
This is the state of the SC chargers in Socal. Pardon my lack of enthusiasm for the overall betterment of the non Tesla EV community. Most people advocating this have charging at home. For the rest of us this is the reality.
I wouldn’t own an EV if I couldn’t charge at home or work. And I didn’t say that superchargers are not full. I said that Tesla is working on building more.

Sorry about your divorce. Hopefully your situation improves soon.