Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford says owners can start using superchargers today (Feb 29)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Torrance, CA (Level 1) Not available to non Tesla EVs

Hermosa Beach, CA Not available to non Tesla EVs

Lawndale, CA Available to non Tesla EVs

Redondo Beach, CA Not available to non Tesla EVs

Long Beach, CA - Long Beach Boulevard Available to non Tesla EVs

Manhattan Beach, CA Not available to non Tesla EVs

So, four of the six sites you listed aren't available to non Tesla EVs.

Also, coming in that area:

Gardena, CA (20 stalls, 250 kW) Under construction 26 days

Carson, CA (8 stalls, 250 kW) Under construction 243 days

Torrance, CA - W Knox St (32 stalls, 250 kW) Permitted (326 days)

Compton, CA (12 stalls, 250 kW) Permitted (686 days)

The ones under construction might be open soon but the permit ones are hard to predict.

And you shall receive an answer. I moved out of my house after my divorce and renting an apartment currently. Biding my time till I buy something else.
Also I realized that there are many Tesla owners with similar situation as mine.
I sympathy with your situation but have you tried to look at different times of day or different days of week to charge?

And you shall receive an answer. I moved out of my house after my divorce and renting an apartment currently. Biding my time till I buy something else.
Also I realized that there are many Tesla owners with similar situation as mine.
I think I should sell my two Teslas asap to preserve our marriage, if more and more Tesla owners are moving to the apartments as result of divorce.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Someone performed an interesting test on how fast the Plug&Charge works on a Mach-e on various charging networks.

• Tesla Supercharger: 25 seconds
  • EA: 56 seconds
  • EVgo: 33 seconds
    • Note: EVgo is not really Plug&Charge, it is their own proprietary protocol based on the MAC address of the vehicle.
Just shows that even using the full P&C certificate exchange Tesla gets things authorized, tested, and started faster. (Not that 30 seconds faster really matters much.)

I can totally understand @nicksp 's concern/frustration. There are people for whom home charging is not an option so superchargers are their only real option and if the superchargers in the area are already heavily used adding more users is just going to cause problems.

Does anyone know how Tesla is deciding which locations will allow 3rd party charging?

Reactions: Rocky_H and nicksp
I had my 1st charge on the Tesla network with my Mach-E. Today's test was a trial run. I have a 400 mile trip coming up in 3 weeks and I plan to charge at the less busy superchargers on my way to and from my destination. Fortunately, my trip route have V3 stations that overlap and that I have access too. There are also some functioning EA stations along the route just incase the superchargers are full.

Attachments

• IMG_2308.jpeg
    IMG_2308.jpeg
    686 KB · Views: 15
If Tesla imposes idle charges on Tesla owners, it will be totally unfair to not impose that same idle charge on Fords occupying the second charging spot.
There's a big difference between parking all or part of a day and blocking a 2nd charger for the half-hour that they must until we get the charge port locations sorted out.
I think this is just another EV growing pain we'll have to endure for a while.

Reactions: KJD
There's a big difference between parking all or part of a day and blocking a 2nd charger for the half-hour that they must until we get the charge port locations sorted out.
Wow. Quite the sacrifice while Tesla owners wait while a Ford is done charging, using two spots.

Reactions: alexgr
I agree with this, in that I do think it will get sorted out in the near future.

Really if you think about it. Ford or Tesla either one could have solved this problem already. Ford could have moved the charge port for the 2024 models. Tesla could have started installing V4 charge posts with the longer cords and instead they have been installing the same V3 short cords for the past year.

Jim Farley at Ford has hinted the next gen F-150 will have a different charge port location. Tesla according to a post in the Bothell WA thread has a shortage of V4 posts. Hopefully they can work that out soon.

Supercharger - Bothell, WA - 201st Place Southeast (LIVE 21 Mar 2024, 12 V4 stalls)

Tesla could have started installing V4 charge posts with the longer cords and instead they have been installing the same V3 short cords for the past year.
Tesla's shorter cords, enabled by port location standardization is one of the cheap ways Tesla has been able to have cheaper and more reliable chargers than the rest though. They don't get run over or dropped as often by folks struggling with heavy, long cables.

Here in Ontario Canada, the vast majority of supercharger sites in urban areas are V2. V3 roll out has been to fill in highway routes. When I added the Ford Lightning to our Tesla app, the site list shows a few 50 km to 100 km away, whereas when I select for our Model S, there are a dozen sites within 40 km.

Reality is that our Ford Lightning (taking delivery this week, same price out the door as a Model Y performance) will benefit on long road trips, especially those to US destinations, or a drive across Canada to B.C. A few years from now, the situation will be much better for towing, but until then, the front charge port location is a clear benefit of the Ford.