Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bike rack for model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just returned from a trip from Lewes, Delaware to Concord Massachusetts where I son took us on some wonderful bikes on the Bruce Freeman Trail and beyond. We used the very affordable (~$25) Allen Sports bike rack (for trunks) for our two bikes...fit on the rear was fine, and we had no trouble.

just returned from a trip from Lewes, Delaware to Concord Massachusetts where I son took us on some wonderful bikes on the Bruce Freeman Trail and beyond. We used the very affordable (~$25) Allen Sports bike rack (for trunks) for our two bikes...fit on the rear was fine, and we had no trouble.
Did you attach it directly to the glass on top??

Edit: saw in another post you can slide the top clips way wide to get them on the metal instead of the glass I'll have to try this was wanting to get 5 bikes on for upcoming camping trip will do 2 on roof and three on truck

Last edited:
We have rhe five person/bike family
Like the flexibility for all or just one bike
Amazing build quality, thick steel and paint
Thule Apex XT Five Bike Rack
Need to buy removable cross bar for certain low bar bikes

The design has been around for years and thus there are many used ones available, nothing profound with new revisions
We bought new years ago

We have rhe five person/bike family
Like the flexibility for all or just one bike
Amazing build quality, thick steel and paint
Thule Apex XT Five Bike Rack
Need to buy removable cross bar for certain low bar bikes

The design has been around for years and thus there are many used ones available, nothing profound with new revisions
We bought new years ago
Looks nice.. That with a hitch would be like a grand.. I already have the roof and an Allen trunk rack.. I also already have a 4 bike hitch rack but no hitch.. hmmm

Just got a hitch prime day deal I guess I'll go this route.. I wanted one for small trailer anyway
well we decided to bring a camping box kitchen we had built for our old F150 instead of the hitch bike rack.. left the bikes on the roof.. made a 150 mile trip (one way) up to the mountains with a 10% range hit (290wh/mi without roof or hitch and 318wh/mi with the roof and hitch) ... that was with only two bikes but i'm pretty stoked it wasn't too much of an efficiency hit! i could fit 4 bikes on the roof wondering how much worse that would have made things

PXL_20230720_205610719.jpg

the trip back was 259wh/mi bare car and i made it with 263wh/mi loaded as shown above presumably the extra weight of the box and the downhill made up for the bikes on the roof

Last edited:
I have a 1up and it works great
make 1up yours!

after trying out both now for while i really prefer the roof rack to the hitch rack*... it just feels like the bikes are more out of the way / i dont have to worry about backing up and it doesn't impact my approach angle at steep hills which are often encountered when mountain biking... sure the efficiency is probably worse if youre going a long distance the hitch is probably better but so far ive biked pretty close

*thule hanging rack not 1up perhaps that has better approach angle

Last edited:
I personally don't like the tesla rack because it hangs bikes by the frame which i don't like. I have the 1up on my LR 7 seater and is very sturdy and looks good on the car. It even protects the back bumper when folded away which is the other reason i like it. Bear in mind that the sensors in rear will go off like crazy since it blocks the sensors (if you have them).
Are you able to open the hatch with the 1up rack installed and stowed? I was hoping to leave the rack attached when not in use. I do not have sensors.