Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X/Y OEM hitch rack vs. Yakima FullTilt 4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gores95

Apr 1, 2023
NJ
Hey guys bought my 2023 MYLR with the tow hitch installed and want to be able to carry 4 bikes occasionally. I know about the platform bikes but I’m worried about the 160 lb. weight limit. The OEM hitch is $540 and looks identical (except for color) to the Yakima FullTilt 4, which sells for $200 cheaper. Both racks weigh 40 lbs. which leaves 120 lbs. for four bikes. I included pics of each.

Does anyone know if these are identical or does the OEM somehow more compatible with the MY hitch and worth the $200 premium? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1278.jpeg
    IMG_1278.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_1277.jpeg
    IMG_1277.jpeg
    442.8 KB · Views: 222
Hey guys bought my 2023 MYLR with the tow hitch installed and want to be able to carry 4 bikes occasionally. I know about the platform bikes but I’m worried about the 160 lb. weight limit. The OEM hitch is $540 and looks identical (except for color) to the Yakima FullTilt 4, which sells for $200 cheaper. Both racks weigh 40 lbs. which leaves 120 lbs. for four bikes. I included pics of each.

Does anyone know if these are identical or does the OEM somehow more compatible with the MY hitch and worth the $200 premium? Thanks.
The tesla rack is made by Yakima is is almost identical to it. I’m leaning towards Yakima.

Thanks. Do you known if and what the differences are between the two?
maybe just branding. if they are different, I would rather have Yakima because they have Same key system. this will be useful in case you need to get roof racks or cargo racks, and get same keys to securely lock them all.

I thought of getting this, but I rather have a platform for my bikes. also these did not really fit my kid's bike really well.

Reactions: TwoK4drSi
maybe just branding. if they are different, I would rather have Yakima because they have Same key system. this will be useful in case you need to get roof racks or cargo racks, and get same keys to securely lock them all.

I thought of getting this, but I rather have a platform for my bikes. also these did not really fit my kid's bike really well.
The only difference I see is that the tesla is straight while the Yakima has a slight curve. Other than the color way…it’s still Yakima. The YT videos shows that it is. Time stamp 4:26

do you have a link / model number for this ? I have an ebike that I'd like to occasionally move around, and this looks like it would be a good option. thanks
This is actually their “RV Rider” e-bike rack and I use it to carry an electric Extracycle and electric Surly Pugsley. Both bikes are heavy and the rack works well.

They even make a new version with ramps!

Reactions: runningdenver
I am interested in the difference between the two as well.

I found the following comment interesting (I don't have any confidence in this "belief" given no reference and no evidence of this anywhere - but still concerning)

@Xcelerate

5 years ago
I believe that the Tesla one has a bit more distance between the trunk and the rack than the fulltilt so that the trunk can open with the rack still on and not tilted. The full swing is a completely different design and some people like it and other people don't."

Can someone who has the Yakima rack please comment on this?