Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Four Bike Rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had a 2" Ecohitch installed on my 2021 MY and I am looking for a four bike rack for two adult bikes and 2 kids bikes. I am leaning towards getting the Thule Apex XT Bike Hitch Rack.

For anyone that has this bike rack do you like it? Is it easy to put the bikes on? Do I have to buy anything else to secure the bikes on the rack?

Is there another rack in the same price range that people like better?

Thanks.

It’ss good rack but I prefer my 1up. Thule works since it’ll meat the weight requirements with 4 bikes. It’s easy to put the bike rack on but make sure you get the right lock as the hitch is a bit embedded. I don’t like 4 bikes on rack as they are very close together and will scratch. Also be aware of frame of bikes as you have to hang via top bar of frame and strap on across frame. For my wife’s small and kids bike I had to buy a bar that goes from seat post to neck of bike and using that.
IMG_6269.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: fiehlsport
I just had a 2" Ecohitch installed on my 2021 MY and I am looking for a four bike rack for two adult bikes and 2 kids bikes. I am leaning towards getting the Thule Apex XT Bike Hitch Rack.

For anyone that has this bike rack do you like it? Is it easy to put the bikes on? Do I have to buy anything else to secure the bikes on the rack?

Is there another rack in the same price range that people like better?

Unless you are really price constraint, I would stronly recommend using a bike rack platform:

It’ss good rack but I prefer my 1up. Thule works since it’ll meat the weight requirements with 4 bikes. It’s easy to put the bike rack on but make sure you get the right lock as the hitch is a bit embedded. I don’t like 4 bikes on rack as they are very close together and will scratch. Also be aware of frame of bikes as you have to hang via top bar of frame and strap on across frame. For my wife’s small and kids bike I had to buy a bar that goes from seat post to neck of bike and using that.View attachment 924099
Toast Do I need to buy a lock to secure the bike rack to the tow hitch?

Watts_Up why do you recommend a platform rack over a hanging rack? What are the disadvantages of a hanging rack?

Well, it really depends of your speed and how bumpy will be the road that you are using.
Also it depends of the weight, number of bikes, the shape of the frame, and if the rear brake cable is exposed....

If you just want to carry your bikes from your house to a nearby park, a hanging rack could do the job.
But if you plan to take the bikes for a weekend trip using freeways and then driving on a dirt road,
a platform rack would be more recommended and safer.

The real advantage of a platform is that the platform holds the weight of the bikes,
so you separate the function of holding the weight from the function of keeping moving.

In the case of a platform, each rail keeps the front fork from turning left or right.
And there should be an articulated brace holding each wheel
or at least a brace holds the frame of the bike to the carrier.

In the case of an hanging rack, each bike framed is clipped in two points distant maybe by two feet,
and the bikes can oscillate and hit each other every time the car pass over a bump or a pothole,
or when the car is accelerating or braking. This moving cargo doesn’t seem very secured IMO.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jcanoe
Well said Watts Up
Mounting bikes on hanging is a bit like Tetris as well. The Thule has a lock but I haven’t used it in a bit. I believe there might be an issue since the hitch is recessed a bit behind bumper. Think it works but you need to make sure lock is on correct side and possible sneak hand in to lock to hitch. Pretty sure there’s also a cable you can lock.

Like Watts said, platform is the way to go but hanging gets the short term job done.

For comparison 4 bikes on 1up
IMG_7490.jpeg

Well said Watts Up
Mounting bikes on hanging is a bit like Tetris as well. The Thule has a lock but I haven’t used it in a bit. I believe there might be an issue since the hitch is recessed a bit behind bumper. Think it works but you need to make sure lock is on correct side and possible sneak hand in to lock to hitch. Pretty sure there’s also a cable you can lock.

Like Watts said, platform is the way to go but hanging gets the short term job done.

View attachment 924383

Are you using something other than the factory hitch? I have the factory and think options are limited for a platform rack for 4 bikes that would also keep me under the weight limit (120 lbs)

What is the best option for a Model Y that wants to take an E-bike or bike? I kind of felt I am missing out on biking at the beach or other places except around my home. At least I can take an E-scooter and it's easier to take than a bike, but it usually has less range and I think a folding E-bike would have more range. I think the E-scooter is most useful just to get free parking since it's lighter and easier to take in and out. But most of my Segways don't have much range for a 3-5 hour long ride, I think I need a folding E-bike which is going to be heavier but maybe the only way to be able to cruise around for 1-2 hours without worrying on range. I wish I could bring my RAD bike beach cruiser but it doesn't fold and it will need a tow hitch option.

But that tow hitch is like $1000 and then you need to buy that bike rack accessory which then that bike rack accessory may not be worth it because I don't think I will bike enough to make it worth it. Then I will also have to store that $500 bike rack accessory somewhere taking space in my garage and also it probably takes forever to take on and off the car. I see some Tesla leave their bike racks on with no bike, I assume because it's a hassle to constantly take on and off. But then, there comes that problem that I will never get to bike somewhere else besides my home. But at least there are folding E-bikes but I'm hoping would solve that problem that I can take a bike in the car without a tow hitch, but will take away space for passengers or luggage. Maybe a day trip it would work, I'm just wondering what it would be like if you want to take 1-2 E-bikes on a 3-4 day trip from So-Cal to San Francisco.

Would it make more sense to buy a Folding E-bike possibly on sale for around $700-$2000 rather than spend $1000-1700 on a bike rack accessory that may not be used very often. Besides the cost of the bike rack accessory, I feel it could be very time consuming and difficult to put and and take off that bike rack accessory, and you likely can't access your trunk, or you may forget you had that bike rack accessory and you remote open the trunk then it hits your bikes. It be nice if I could have a 2nd car laying around like a large electric cargo van to take all the bikes I want, but it probably won't be worth it.

I took my E-scooter with me which helped out alot to take BART and not park in SF, but the range was limiting so it wasn't practical to explore SF the way I wanted to, but it was lighter and easier to transport. I'm wondering if I should get a heavier more expensive scooter to have more range and hopefully not take up too much space in my car.

Well said Watts Up

the 4bike platform puts a lot of strain to your hitch and i think is Not recommended by Tesla.

Really, the only safe way to transport 4 bikes using the hitch is through hanging bike rack. some bike rack has strap that holds on to the seat tube to minimized swing motion. I use Saris Bones, Allen, and Yakima also has it. doing this also limits your maximum weight of the bikes you can carry, particularly the furthest bike. I have 2 adult bikes (700c) and 2 kids bike (24 in and 20 in) that we tow to different places with no issues. the main problem is to fit them all in. normally the same geometry bikes will fit easier. it gets tricky when you get step through and smaller frame bikes (kids bikes).

I have the Saris SuperClamp EX 4, the main thing I like about it is that when it is folded, it is below the line of the hatch and has no impact to aero.

Every other 4 bike rack that holds the wheels I have seen is way taller and would act like a sail all the time when folded up.

I bought a yakima fourtimer: I think its discontinued now, but it was the lightest 4 bike platform I could find.. very happy with it. seems much less 'waggy' than my four bike (hanging) saris rack.
IMG_6655.jpeg

I suppose it's worth adding: I added a set of lights on a bar that I bungie to the last bike. I use that light bar during longer trips or anything at night. I'd rather the minor hassle of hooking up the lights than having someone not see my brake lights... In this picture the light bar is ziptied to the lower aft cross bar.

final edit: i think the Saris is the best current equivalent to my discontinued Yakima. I think it even has a locking cable that the Yakima doesn't have...

Last edited: