Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bike Rack Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never owned a bike rack for a hitch before, so this may be a newbie question.

I am using the Tesla Bike Rack (Yakima FullTilt 4). Instructions seem to indicate to slide the rack into hitch receiver until the "AutoPin" clicks into the hitch hole, but that does not seem deep enough, so I push it further until it can't be pushed in any further, then I tighten it.

Thoughts?

I just reviewed Yakima's video. Most carriers have a manually installed pin. This thing has an "auto" pin.

You need to look into the pin hole on the receiver attached to the car to make sure the "auto pin" has deployed into the pin opening. Sounds like a risky system to me. If it has not deployed into the pin hole it cannot be secure.

I used this rack to haul 4 bikes from Dallas to Mobile, AL and averaged 480WH/M vs 330WH/M without the bike rack. This rack carries the bikes high above the spoiler and creates lots of drag. On 1 stretch I had to go only 60 just to traverse the 124 miles between superchargers. I have a x60D with 202 mile range.

I used this rack to haul 4 bikes from Dallas to Mobile, AL and averaged 480WH/M vs 330WH/M without the bike rack. This rack carries the bikes high above the spoiler and creates lots of drag. On 1 stretch I had to go only 60 just to traverse the 124 miles between superchargers. I have a x60D with 202 mile range.

Isn't 4 bikes over the weight limit of the hitch?