Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bioweapon defense mode not just a gimmick (smoke/fire experience)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A nerve racking experience yesterday that could have ended in a bad way.

I was on my way for a one day trip up hwy 70 to visit a friend in Medford Oregon when I ran into really thick smoke and at mid day, I would have guessed it to be night time. The smell and irritation was terrible. I turned on the Bio mode and man it really worked great. I decided to not risk going further as it seemed to be coming from the direction I was heading. Then I was hearing on the radio that 70 was being closed. I turned around. Traffic was getting slower as a lot of people where headed back South. Then I saw fire sparks blowing down from the West. OK, this was starting to get scary, yet the highway patrol was encouraging people to move in that direction. About an hour later I was completely out of it and it wasn't until this morning that I learned of the nasty devastation occurring in Paradise CA. WOW.

All I can say is I was really happy to have that feature in the car and I was feeling a little better not traveling through that area in a machine filled with gasoline. This was the first time I was really testing the capability of that mode aside from the trips down I5 where the cow pasture smell is overbearing. If you go down that route in central CA then you know what I am talking about.

This morning I see I am probably going to need to replace the SunTech film on the passenger front panel of the car. Apparently embers burned some spots on the film. Otherwise all is well..

Thanks Tesla for the great air filtering system.

There are a LOT of differences when I have to drive my Jeep, obviously, but one of the subtle things is the SMELLS, not just from the ICE itself, but from everybody else. I am constantly driving along and get a whiff of something and think "wow, what is that?", then realize yep, no Bioweapon filters...

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Glad you made it OK!
Thanks. I guess I didn't get that close to it. I now understand that some people didn't make it out and a few were trapped in their cars. Although there were a couple of places where smoke was so thick and dark that I could only see about 50 feet in front of the car, and traveling 20 mph or less, the inside of the car was clear and easy to breathe. I was surprised how well it actually worked.

I'm in SF bay area, inner valley and the heavy smoke is settling about here. Bio system is working great.
My friend is a "search & rescue" volunteer, and I tried to also volunteer as driver at last 2017 fires, maybe taking folks around outside the danger zone. It was a long process that I have yet to finish, but MX could be useful in these situations for moving folks comfortably.

Reactions: Silicon Desert