Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Birmingham to Edinburgh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Be careful about any Supercharger locations with restrictions and / or ANPR Cameras Gretna Green ? If you will be doing this trip regularly then consider registering with Chargeplace Scotland as a backup, some of these are still free.

Reactions: Chalks99
If you have time take the scenic route - turn off the M74 at the Moffat turn off (A701) and take this road over the devils beeftub to Edinburgh. Beautiful run and very little traffic. I often take this way when travelling from Preston to Banchory with short supercharging stops at Tebay and either Edinburgh SC or Perth.

If you can I would avoid Gretna, only 2 pairs of V2 so a good chance of taking a while, Abington is 3 pairs so a little better. You can probably do it with one stop at Tebay (which is available North or Southbound).

There's no real options for charging in Edinburgh city center, the SuperChargers are out by the airport (8 x v3s so fast). Little point in registering for CPS if you aren't going further afield than Edinburgh, but it's free now so little harm.

If you are going on holiday, bear in mind that all the attractions in Edinburgh need to be booked weeks in advance due to reduced capacity, most of the fringe is sold out etc.

Reactions: Chalks99 and Arran
Abington supercharger is better than Gretna as there's only 4 stalls at Gretna. Tebay is great southbound, but I hear its rather busy there in the holidays. But your charge screen or phone app will tell you how many stalls are available.

I recently went to Edinburgh for 3 nights as part of a 1000 mile trip in an M3P.

I was only in Edinburgh 3 nights and left my car at Hermiston Park & Ride as they allow up to three free nights free parking. It only cost the bus fare into the city. It’s also only about 5 miles from the larger Supercharger site, although I didn’t use them.

As others have said, it’s best to book any evening meals in advance and attractions like the castle had pre-booked entry slots in July but I don’t know what the current state of play is.

On the way up to Loch Lomund I used Abington on a Friday evening, busy but no queuing. I used Tebay coming south. Again, busy but no queuing on a Saturday evening. This trip was the end of June and the beginning of July. They may be busier in the holiday season.

I did stop at Gretna, but not to charge, and it looked rather busy with a lot more chance of shared charging because of the fewer bays and V2.

Be careful about any Supercharger locations with restrictions and / or ANPR Cameras Gretna Green ? If you will be doing this trip regularly then consider registering with Chargeplace Scotland as a backup, some of these are still free.

I haven't used Gretna Superchargers but I'm 90% sure there's no APNR issue there ... maybe you are thinking of Scotch Corner? [There's a sticky Wiki about these ..] CPS is supposed to work with a cedit/debit card now or with the app since Swarco took over.

Last edited: