Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bjørn's Tesla Model S videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to report, that the emergency breaking saved myself and my boys from a major accident in the loaner 85 I have right now. Different situation though.
Friday Night, We were on the freeway, it was raining, 70mph. A dufus in a a LARGE Pickup Truck cut us off trying to get into my lane before he had to slam on the brakes due to following about 4 ft from a Semi truck.

The car detected his actions of moving into my lane and immediately, much MUCH faster then I could have reacted, did a controlled emergency brake (collision warning went off too) to drop our speed to prevent the truck from hitting us. If it did not take over, we would have gotten nailed. it would have hit 3ft back into the car. It's difficult to explain, maybe one day I will draw a picture.... And to top it off, the pickup truck's driver had the gall to give me the middle finger.....

I would like to report, that the emergency breaking saved myself and my boys from a major accident in the loaner 85 I have right now. Different situation though.
Friday Night, We were on the freeway, it was raining, 70mph. A dufus in a a LARGE Pickup Truck cut us off trying to get into my lane before he had to slam on the brakes due to following about 4 ft from a Semi truck.

The car detected his actions of moving into my lane and immediately, much MUCH faster then I could have reacted, did a controlled emergency brake (collision warning went off too) to drop our speed to prevent the truck from hitting us. If it did not take over, we would have gotten nailed. it would have hit 3ft back into the car. It's difficult to explain, maybe one day I will draw a picture.... And to top it off, the pickup truck's driver had the gall to give me the middle finger.....

Wow, glad everyone is safe and that it did such a great job of preventing the accident.

Here's a video of collision warning and then automatic emergency braking working before a stationary car.

All the driver did was swerve the steering wheel to the right, after the AEB kicked in.

Although this was at like 15mph, if it were at 60mph he definitely would have hit the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Polystyrene is mostly air, so I guess it is invisible for radar and does not echo ultrasound. Thin aluminum foil might help.
It should echo ultrasound, a sheet of paper should be enough. But I'm fairly sure the ultrasonic sensors aren't used for the autobraking.

The radar alone is probably responsible for the autobraking, and I agree the radar doesn't necessarily detect the polystyrene. I was also thinking they should add some aluminium foil. It should work to just glue it to the rear of the polystyrene, so that it doesn't contact the car and potentially scratch it.

Good idea to put the aluminum foil on the rear of the styrofoam. I thought about using aluminum foil, and I thought the styrofoam would be transparent to the radar, but I did not put two and two together!

GSP

Going back to two pedals really seemed like going back in time to a retarded technology, and the gears, even though automatic, seemed to make the ride uncomfortable. So it is clear from this video that BEVs are superior from a basic operational point of view.
Please tell me you exaggerated at the beginning when you did not understand how to use the computer interface ! You are not computer illiterate, you program them for a living !
My only criticism about this video is the electronic music. Do you really have to force your musical taste on your viewers ? I mean, everyone has a different taste, so I think it is wiser either not to use music at all, or to use more mainstream music. Also, I wonder if we heard how noisy those tires really are. Maybe you should use two different sound balance settings : one with your voice dominating the ambient noise most of the time, and a neutral balance to let us hear objectively how noisy the car really is.
Anyway, what a change it would be if your next video was shot from inside a Model X !

Please tell me you exaggerated at the beginning when you did not understand how to use the computer interface ! You are not computer illiterate, you program them for a living !

While the BMW system is an exercise on how to not create a user interface for cars, it's not that hard to figure out. So I have to believe that Bjorn was hamming it up a bit. But the nonsense about Navigation being greyed out when the car isn't running is totally on BMW. That's just insane.

or to use more mainstream music!

Biggest issue with using mainstream music is the fact that mainstream music is not royalty free, and that means that Bjorn can't monetize his videos and "make a living" doing this, because either the monetization would be shut off (or the ad money would go to the rights holder of the music) or he will get a copyright strike and risk getting his channel shut down permanently. YouTube cooperates more with the music industry than it does with content creators that distribute videos on their service, which, to me is backwards, but that's just the world we live in.

He uses a lot of different styles of music in all of his videos, and I think he does a good job overall of mixing them up. I mean, his main theme is bluegrass, which is about as far away from EDM as you can get.

While the BMW system is an exercise on how to not create a user interface for cars, it's not that hard to figure out. So I have to believe that Bjorn was hamming it up a bit. But the nonsense about Navigation being greyed out when the car isn't running is totally on BMW. That's just insane.
I think I did say that this was a loaner. Given that, it means I don't know the car too much. So when I fiddled with the navigation, it was actually me trying to use it for the first time. I have used BMW's 1st generation iDrive that came out in 2004 in my 525d E61 before. And the reason why I used TomTom in that car was because it was so hard to use.

Even though I eventually figured out (in part 2 video) how to enter address faster, it was still way slower than doing it in the Tesla (as I showed in a separate video). Scroling around the map (called interactive mode in BMW) was also a big hassle. But when that being said, I still think the Tesla nav lacks a lot of features, such as waypoints, POI, route preferences (fastest, shortest, avoid motorways, etc).

Lots of people called me dumb after watching that video. Fact is that many Tesla owners start using their car without reading the manual. I get that impression by the "basic" questions some ask on Facebook. However, they are able to operate navigation, roof, lights, etc because the system is so intuitive. So the first five minutes of that video wasn't me trying to be funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of people called me dumb after watching that video.

Seriously, Bjorn - someone actually said that to you? The majority of people who have a brain (and choose to use it) and a heart (who also choose to listen to it) would never say that to anyone, let alone someone who devotes counteless hours like you do to the Tesla and EV cause. I disregard and ignore TMC members who use words like that becuase they lack a sense of self worth and feel they have to bring others down to their level.

Seriously, Bjorn - someone actually said that to you? The majority of people who have a brain (and choose to use it) and a heart (who also choose to listen to it) would never say that to anyone, let alone someone who devotes counteless hours like you do to the Tesla and EV cause. I disregard and ignore TMC members who use words like that becuase they lack a sense of self worth and feel they have to bring others down to their level.

I don't think he was referring to TMC members, but rather Youtube trolls. I think very highly of TMC members to even remotely think anyone here would call him dumb. He's our biggest celebrity here (apart from Bonnie and Leilani though)