Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

black car in Florida?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I have a question that's not just a Tesla question, but I live in Fort Lauderdale and was considering buying a used black tesla. Now I realize that maybe that's stupid/dumb/silly, as I have been told that black cars are the worst for our heat and sun.

So in other words, should i dismiss it and wait for any other color to hit my sweet spot?

J

I live in Boca and have had a black Model S for five years now. I never considered black paint an issue other than with all the rain recently it's been impossible to keep it clean, lol. I wasn't looking for a black one when I bought - it was actually the last color I wanted but I found a one owner car that had been well loved/maintained, was in outstanding condition and went with it over others.

I live in Boca and have had a black Model S for five years now. I never considered black paint an issue other than with all the rain recently it's been impossible to keep it clean, lol. I wasn't looking for a black one when I bought - it was actually the last color I wanted but I found a one owner car that had been well loved/maintained, was in outstanding condition and went with it over others.
ok, thanks, good to know. appreciated.

I had a black car in Maryland many years ago. There were times I'd go out after work and the dashboard was molten. The steering wheel was too hot to touch.
Years later in Florida, I was in the habit of putting up a sun screen on the windshield which helps a LOT.
With Tesla, I still use the same sun screen but with the cabin over heat protection, that helps a lot on those really sunny days. Also depends if you get any shade where you park.
What I really like, is that 5 minutes or so before you leave, get the app to turn on the A/C and I also vent the windows. Since cold air sinks and warm air rises, it seems to work great and you get into a very comfortable car.
For the hottest months, you can also use an aluminet car cover over the top. I see a lot of those at dog agility trials and they are nice and helps keeps it cooler.
Just make sure to get it large enough (10x14 or so). I shut them in the doors to keep it locked down, which you'll need for those afternoon rain showers. Provides some privacy as well, Throwing the car cover over the top is fairly easy and quick. Doesn't prevent the need for dog mode if you or the puppy are in the car, but it helps.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I love black cars. I just got a black Model Y. My previous SUV that I'd had for 17 years is also black and I lived in California with it. I also had a black car when I lived in Dallas years ago. It's not ideal in a hot and sunny location but I've found that having a sun shade for the windshield is incredibly helpful and being diligent about using any window vent function a few minutes before you get in is critical. With a Tesla, you have the option of turning on the AC remotely before you even get in the car, which is clutch.

My only general concern is paint fading over time if it will be parked outdoors 24/7 (I have a garage and work from home, so this is not a concern for me now). If you have shaded parking at home or work, get the color you like and just adapt your pre-drive habits to cool it down a bit and you'll be fine.

Black paint absorbs massive amounts of solar energy, in addition to showing paint imperfections and damage that much easier.

I HIGHLY recommend you choose any other light color, with white being the best for hot environments. YES it DOES have an impact even with the extra glazing on Teslas with the side benefit of longer range due to reduced HVAC loads.

See:

Car Color Test: Are Black Cars Really Hotter in the Sun? – Video

And a more nuanced input:

Black paint absorbs massive amounts of solar energy, in addition to showing paint imperfections and damage that much easier.

I HIGHLY recommend you choose any other light color, with white being the best for hot environments. YES it DOES have an impact even with the extra glazing on Teslas with the side benefit of longer range due to reduced HVAC loads.

See:

Car Color Test: Are Black Cars Really Hotter in the Sun? – Video

And a more nuanced input:

thank you! unfortunately seems like most for sale are black, and I was also told not to get black seats, so now no black in or out, limiting but I can be patient while I enjoy my X

Reactions: unk45
thank you! unfortunately seems like most for sale are black, and I was also told not to get black seats, so now no black in or out, limiting but I can be patient while I enjoy my X
I live in Florida, and I wouldn't avoid a black car because of the sun. Both will be hot inside to the human senses. I've had black here, and light colors. Buying white won't make it reasonably cooler inside. Also, the Tesla has a feature to keep the inside cooler if that is your concern. Get what you like the look of

I live in Florida, and I wouldn't avoid a black car because of the sun. Both will be hot inside to the human senses. I've had black here, and light colors. Buying white won't make it reasonably cooler inside. Also, the Tesla has a feature to keep the inside cooler if that is your concern. Get what you like the look of
Quite disputed by the facts: black interior and black exterior, in an ever-warming planet, is a profoundly poor choice.

There is a MEASURABLE and SIGNFICANT difference in temperatures between a light/white car and a black car, to include Teslas. Tesla does NOT violate the laws of physics . . . .

Furthermore, range is harmed by the extra heat load as that head load takes energy to remove, parked or when driving.

This is a no-brainer move: do NOT buy a black car in Florida or any other hot place, and if you do, prepare for reduced resale value due to that remarkably poor choice.

• Helpful
Reactions: unk45
IMO, it really makes no difference. I think for most people it is a placebo effect. The color interior to me is more important. I love the white Tesla interior. It's never hot and never stains. Black seats will burn your ass in the summer.

The MythBusters used two identical cars, one black the other white and left them both out in the summer heat with thermometers in both. By mid-afternoon the black car had heated up to a temperature of 135 ? F while the white car topped off at 126 ? F, almost 10 degrees cooler. I don't know about you but 135 vs 126 really makes no difference. Both are hot AF!

IMO, it really makes no difference. I think for most people it is a placebo effect. The color interior to me is more important. I love the white Tesla interior. It's never hot and never stains. Black seats will burn your ass in the summer.

The MythBusters used two identical cars, one black the other white and left them both out in the summer heat with thermometers in both. By mid-afternoon the black car had heated up to a temperature of 135 ? F while the white car topped off at 126 ? F, almost 10 degrees cooler. I don't know about you but 135 vs 126 really makes no difference. Both are hot AF!
Sorry, but there ARE major differences in heat gain, as indicated in your own post and via many other sources.

Heat gain = bad. Increases battery load through massive HVAC loads both in the initial cool down and ongoing cooling. Plus there is likely faster degradation of the interior components, paint, trim, etc.

Why this is so hard for so many to fathom is beyond me.

Sorry, but there ARE major differences in heat gain, as indicated in your own post and via many other sources.

Heat gain = bad. Increases battery load through massive HVAC loads both in the initial cool down and ongoing cooling. Plus there is likely faster degradation of the interior components, paint, trim, etc.

Why this is so hard for so many to fathom is beyond me.
It's not hard to fathom, it just not a big enough deal to avoid a color you prefer in my opinion.

Reactions: Ciaopec
Opinions vary widely about the importance of the color in hot climates, despite incontrovertible evidence of the heat gain abed on color, i.e. dark colors absorb more solar radiation than do light colors. FWIW, that is one reason why ice melt in the Arctic and elsewhere accelerates as the ice reflecting solar radiation diminishes. The real issue si whether that difference is enough to affect your choice.

Black, and other very dark colors, show imperfections and dirt far more prominently than do lighter colors. Black also shows road rash and every other issue more prominently Han do light colors. Those issues are modest today because a high quality wrap can make cleaning easier and resist those scratches and chips.

My solution for Tesla is to buy screens for the inside of the roof, but also recognize that Tesla does an excellent job of protecting from solar radiation in those roofs, even though they are dark. I have compared my first Model S heat soaked with both the screens and without, the screen reduced temperature by 5F, well worth it. FWIW, all of my Teslas have been Multi-color Red, even though I know I should have had white.

Recommendation: If buying used, I would choose the best car I could find, regardless of color, because condition is more important than any other factor, for me anyway. Besides, wraps come in any color you choose, so a White wrap on top of Black gives almost all the benefit of a lighter color. That will cost a few thousand dollars but also protects the paint from damage. I have done that for all my cars regardless of color.

I brought a black/black MS from OH over 5 years ago. I have had the windows tinted. We also purchased a 2022 MY in white. We sense no difference and the fact that you can pre cool the cars is a plus.
I'd say get the car you want. IMHO color doesn't matter that much. Certainly black absorbs more heat and one or the other color may be more difficult to keep clean. I take it to the car wash and am not concerned about looks. Everyone has their own idea of what's important. My wife loves black on black but we thought white might be good for FL. As I said: we don't notice an appreciable difference.

I brought a black/black MS from OH over 5 years ago. I have had the windows tinted. We also purchased a 2022 MY in white. We sense no difference and the fact that you can pre cool the cars is a plus.
I'd say get the car you want. IMHO color doesn't matter that much. Certainly black absorbs more heat and one or the other color may be more difficult to keep clean. I take it to the car wash and am not concerned about looks. Everyone has their own idea of what's important. My wife loves black on black but we thought white might be good for FL. As I said: we don't notice an appreciable difference.
As there are strong data to the contrary to this poster's comment, "We sense no difference . . . " I would suggest that their input, while interesting, is also not supported by any facts.

Until it was stolen by an HVAC repair technician, we had a laser remote thermometer from Harbor Freight. It indicated a very large temperature difference between black and other colors on identical cars parked in the sun.

To duplicate this yourself, without equipment:

1. On a hot and sunny day, visit a Tesla gallery at early- to mid-afternoon.

2. Find identical Teslas parked facing the same way/orientation.

3. Place your hand on an exterior painted panel of a white version of this Tesla.

4. Count how many seconds you can leave your hand there without debilitating pain.

5. WARNING: this step may result in SERIOUS BURNS. Rest your hand on the same exterior painted panel of a black version of this car . . . .

Yes, exterior panel temperature is a proxy for other temperatures, but you get the idea. Please let us know the results of this experiment where you live.

A single data point, but worthwhile nonetheless: We have an inventory-purchased (as in, "not our color choice") MSM/black Model S Plaid in Arizona. According to the Tesla app, on a sunny day with ambient temperatures of only 114F, the interior temperature can reach 168F. I'll check again when it's 120F+ to see by how much we'll exceed 170F.

In closing, this poster's comments notwithstanding, white remains a far, far better choice in warm environments like Florida.

Curious to know what way you went or plan on going. I think a black car blacked out looks really nice. I'm still a Red color kind of person. If I drive the red MX to work and it stays in the Texas heat, it's hot inside when I get inside. Dang hot!

Reactions: Ciaopec
As there are strong data to the contrary to this poster's comment, "We sense no difference . . . " I would suggest that their input, while interesting, is also not supported by any facts.

Until it was stolen by an HVAC repair technician, we had a laser remote thermometer from Harbor Freight. It indicated a very large temperature difference between black and other colors on identical cars parked in the sun.

To duplicate this yourself, without equipment:

1. On a hot and sunny day, visit a Tesla gallery at early- to mid-afternoon.

2. Find identical Teslas parked facing the same way/orientation.

3. Place your hand on an exterior painted panel of a white version of this Tesla.

4. Count how many seconds you can leave your hand there without debilitating pain.

5. WARNING: this step may result in SERIOUS BURNS. Rest your hand on the same exterior painted panel of a black version of this car . . . .

Yes, exterior panel temperature is a proxy for other temperatures, but you get the idea. Please let us know the results of this experiment where you live.

A single data point, but worthwhile nonetheless: We have an inventory-purchased (as in, "not our color choice") MSM/black Model S Plaid in Arizona. According to the Tesla app, on a sunny day with ambient temperatures of only 114F, the interior temperature can reach 168F. I'll check again when it's 120F+ to see by how much we'll exceed 170F.

In closing, this poster's comments notwithstanding, white remains a far, far better choice in warm environments like Florida.
I'm not arguing that the metal temperature difference will be insignificant. I'm saying that I have two different color Teslas: one black, one white. In the interior we don't notice a significant difference; HVAC takes care of that. Since we no longer ride on the exterior panels since moving to FL their temperature difference is irrelevant.
Scientifically, I would guess most things said are true: takes more energy to cool, etc. Don't care. The X uses more power than the S but that doesn't stop people from buying which car they want. I say the same holds for color other wise every car in the sunbelt would be white.

In the Tampa area with black on black. Obviously black is going to be hotter, but if you are going to tint, this will help a lot esp. if you do the front windshield (or if its already tinted).

If you use it, cabin overheat protection counteracts quit a bit by keeping the cabin around 100-105. I do use it personally but if its parked outside for long period, I think it may cut off after 8 hours or when the battery < 20%. You can also activate the climate control from your phone as well as use Keep Climate On for short stops.