Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Headliner anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MJP.P3D-

Supporting Member
Apr 18, 2016
Texas
Clearly a matter of personal preference however one of the elements that gives me pause as I consider the switch from a Model S to a Model 3 is the lack of a Black Headliner option. I know, weird right? Still, I have it now in the S and love it. As I research options for an aftermarket solution, I found this product from unpluggedperformance — does anyone have any first-hand experience? Are there any other one-stop solutions that you’ve found for a complete, factory-look conversion? Thanks all.

Tesla Model 3 Alcantara Headliner Upgrade Kit for Tesla Model 3 - Unplugged Performance

Clearly a matter of personal preference however one of the elements that gives me pause as I consider the switch from a Model S to a Model 3 is the lack of a Black Headliner option. I know, weird right? Still, I have it now in the S and love it. As I research options for an aftermarket solution, I found this product from unpluggedperformance — does anyone have any first-hand experience? Are there any other one-stop solutions that you’ve found for a complete, factory-look conversion? Thanks all.

Tesla Model 3 Alcantara Headliner Upgrade Kit for Tesla Model 3 - Unplugged Performance
Someone on here got this done and made a thread about it. A couple of us on here are interested. I asked an employee Unplugged Performance about doing a group buy and he said he’ll discuss it with his manager.

Curious why you are switching from an S to a 3?

The simple answer is that the 3 seems like a better buy right now. I love (and prefer, as of this writing) the S for its size, cargo capacity, rear hatch and smart air suspension and, were it “refreshed” (or whatever Elon wants to call it) either now or in the near future, I would likely replace the current S with a new one. Since this doesn’t seem like its happening in the near term, but does seem like it will happen, I don’t want to invest in a new S at this time. The 3, on the other hand, seems to be getting a lot of the love from Tesla, it has the 2170 batteries, faster charging and is, by all accounts, a great car—so, it seems like the way to go...

Please let me know if you’re able to put together the group buy—this is a must-have mod for me so, assuming we buy the 3, it will be at the top of my list of post-purchase changes that I will make. Thanks.

Reactions: hydro 481
The simple answer is that the 3 seems like a better buy right now. I love (and prefer, as of this writing) the S for its size, cargo capacity, rear hatch and smart air suspension and, were it “refreshed” (or whatever Elon wants to call it) either now or in the near future, I would likely replace the current S with a new one. Since this doesn’t seem like its happening in the near term, but does seem like it will happen, I don’t want to invest in a new S at this time. The 3, on the other hand, seems to be getting a lot of the love from Tesla, it has the 2170 batteries, faster charging and is, by all accounts, a great car—so, it seems like the way to go...

Please let me know if you’re able to put together the group buy—this is a must-have mod for me so, assuming we buy the 3, it will be at the top of my list of post-purchase changes that I will make. Thanks.
Are you getting a Performance Model 3? I've heard many Model S owners say they prefer the Model 3.

I will keep you updated on the group buy. Still waiting for a response.

Yes — well, “Stealth” Performance (20” wheels would last 20 minutes on Chicago roads). I’m hoping that after driving it for a while that I will feel the same. For now, I remain modestly concerned about ride quality, road noise and cargo space. In time, perhaps this concern will dissipate.... Thanks—definitely very interested in the black headliner.

Lots of new Model 3 owners now — any new interest/ideas/strategies for a black headliner? I would (somewhat grudgingly) pay the $2k for the unplugged performance option but the logistics seem borderline nightmarish. I was hoping they could direct me to a local shop here in Chicagoland for assistance with the required steps but no such luck. I briefly considered shipping my car to them but quickly realized that was a bridge too far. Anyone have success with a complete conversion to black? Any insights and/or photos? Thanks.

Long term lurker. First time poster.

has anyone successfully done this? Seems like a great upgrade. Does anyone have video in instructions on how to remove and install headliner? The logistics do sound nightmarish with unplugged performance but it looks so good...

AWB

I spoke with a representative from Unplugged yesterday as I really (really) want this—to my great disappointment, I learned that they have changed the offer such that they no longer paint all the plastic bits as part of the package! So, the headliner and mirrors are changed to black BUT the overhead housing (lights/hazards/etc), seat belt brackets, speaker grills, etc all remain as-is. The price, and the nightmarish logistics remain unchanged. Thus, I have written off this option as being a total waste of effort, resources and time. Very unfortunate as I was close to convincing myself that this was the way to go...

I spoke with a representative from Unplugged yesterday as I really (really) want this—to my great disappointment, I learned that they have changed the offer such that they no longer paint all the plastic bits as part of the package! So, the headliner and mirrors are changed to black BUT the overhead housing (lights/hazards/etc), seat belt brackets, speaker grills, etc all remain as-is. The price, and the nightmarish logistics remain unchanged. Thus, I have written off this option as being a total waste of effort, resources and time. Very unfortunate as I was close to convincing myself that this was the way to go...

not sure who you talked to over at UP but this was on my FB feed yesterday. If your comment about price and logistics is solely about a group buy deal...then I’m not sure if it’s based on painted pieces but I see the complete package here though.

902B6486-92A2-43B2-99B1-72DB9B02C257.png
9F402C60-304F-45C2-98C5-14A887779BC9.png
5CF5ECB0-7ABC-48BB-B861-0F8ACC399E93.png

D2F98515-F009-40D2-A596-9A850EEACA19.png

Yep—I asked about the photos—they’re old; I gave the UP rep my email and was told that I would be sent new photos that reflect the current strategy. I agree, however, that those images look fantastic! That’s what I want....but, imagine those same images with grey/beige speaker grills, coat hooks, seatbelt brackets, visor brackets, etc....not good. The price: still $2,000 plus labor from a local shop to remove old and install new. Now—must also add cost to prep/paint all the trim pieces. And—the local shop that I had lined up is a true automotive upholstery shop, so they don’t paint—thus, I now need a third vendor that can paint, so—yeah, logistics are a nightmare. The concept of a “group buy” is long in the rear view mirror and is not a factor in my comments above. So, for $2k plus labor from a local shop, I’d do it—but the change to UP’s content for that $2k, and the added step of another vendor, no thanks.

Yep—I asked about the photos—they’re old; I gave the UP rep my email and was told that I would be sent new photos that reflect the current strategy. I agree, however, that those images look fantastic! That’s what I want....but, imagine those same images with grey/beige speaker grills, coat hooks, seatbelt brackets, visor brackets, etc....not good. The price: still $2,000 plus labor from a local shop to remove old and install new. Now—must also add cost to prep/paint all the trim pieces. And—the local shop that I had lined up is a true automotive upholstery shop, so they don’t paint—thus, I now need a third vendor that can paint, so—yeah, logistics are a nightmare. The concept of a “group buy” is long in the rear view mirror and is not a factor in my comments above. So, for $2k plus labor from a local shop, I’d do it—but the change to UP’s content for that $2k, and the added step of another vendor, no thanks.

Ben is in my group so I can confirm with him but are you saying the pics on UP site is old? The post is 3 days ago.

Attachments

• 787620DB-2C7E-4649-BC33-AE377045FE49.png
    787620DB-2C7E-4649-BC33-AE377045FE49.png
    536.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Ben is in my group so I can confirm with him but are you saying the pics on UP site is old? The post is 3 days ago.
Yes. Per UP on Friday, 19 June 2020, they no longer include painted plastic bits in their $2,000 kit. A quick check of the UP website confirms this, unfortunately. Your friend seems to have just gotten in under the wire, so to speak.

• Informative
Reactions: TwoK4drSi
Yes. Per UP on Friday, 19 June 2020, they no longer include painted plastic bits in their $2,000 kit. A quick check of the UP website confirms this, unfortunately. Your friend seems to have just gotten in under the wire, so to speak.

damn that sucks. It would be a super blaring contrast. I guess early Adopters are lucky or they paid extra which I would do.

Darker headliner definitely looks nicer and less Japanese economy car-ish. I don’t understand how they paint the plastic bits - what are they doing with the hazard button? Someone with bigger nuts than mine should try DIYing w/ fabric paint - I’ve seen people get great results.

Sucks about the plastic pieces. Deal breaker for the cost... anyone know what they use to “paint” the plastic parts? Considering just taking the headliner pieces to a local upholsterer. Along those lines, any recommendations in NE Florida?

I’m wondering why is it so pricey? Doesn’t look all to difficult to remove the headliner pieces
Then would have to pay for labour and materials to install
But 2k seems steep