Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do new model Tesla 3s have significantly less cabin noise than a 2018 model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The blinker and gear stalks on the sides of the steering wheel have been removed. On the latest Model 3s, there are steering wheel buttons for blinkers (yuck) and you change the gear (forward or reverse) on the screen.

Those are terrible design decisions in my opinion.
It is human nature to resist change. It happened when a steering wheel replaced the tiller. You'll get used to it and won't think twice.

It is human nature to resist change. It happened when a steering wheel replaced the tiller. You'll get used to it and won't think twice.

Mmm... I'd never been inside of a Tesla (and barely even seen any in person) when I bought mine. And just like that, I'd changed from gasoline to battery electric. I've since spent the last few years learning.

I drove an X without stalks and just found the buttons to be horrible. My left palm falsely triggered the blinker multiple times, because it's right where I keep my hand.

I'm not resistant to change... the opposite really - I'd love to see more positive change from humanity. It also doesn't take much to see that some changes are *worse*, which is the case with steering wheel buttons.

I would temper expectations... A lot of the noise reduction has to do with the double-pane glass all around the new one has. I doubt you will notice much of a difference.

All the sponge in the world can't duplicate using sound deadening glass. The advice in this thread is HORRIBLY wrong.

Actually I've seen videos using sound meters that compare the double pane glass (not in highland, but in the previous refresh), and the differences tend to be minimal to non-existent.

The double pane glass won't eliminate the wind noise that comes from wind going into the A-pillar, and it seems to do little to block it either (likely because the noise source is too close and may actually be conducting through the car body itself). You will notice plenty of people with 2021+ (which had the double pane front glass) that tried the hack and reported differences. So I think the hack is still worth trying.

Actually I've seen videos using sound meters that compare the double pane glass (not in highland, but in the previous refresh), and the differences tend to be minimal to non-existent.

The double pane glass won't eliminate the wind noise that comes from wind going into the A-pillar, and it seems to do little to block it either (likely because the noise source is too close and may actually be conducting through the car body itself). You will notice plenty of people with 2021+ (which had the double pane front glass) that tried the hack and reported differences. So I think the hack is still worth trying.
The 2024 model has a lot of changes. Included a slightly modified hood to push the air over the windshield.

Here is a link to the video. At 1:11.

Reactions: WyoDude
The 2024 model has a lot of changes. Included a slightly modified hood to push the air over the windshield.

Here is a link to the video. At 1:11.

Yes, I know Highland has changes elsewhere, which is why I noted I was talking about double pane glass on the previous refresh. I'm just disputing that the major reduction in wind noise comes from the double pane glass. Rather it likely comes from other changes that function under a similar logic as the hacks posted (which address the source of the noise, rather than simply dampening the noise after it is already created).

Reactions: rpiotro
I replaced my 2018 Model 3 MR this past December with a 2023 Model 3 Performance. Noise is quite a bit less in the 2023 than my previous 2018. The interior changes from the 2018 are much nicer and modern. I was not a fan of the gloss piano black center console in the 2018.

Yes, I know Highland has changes elsewhere, which is why I noted I was talking about double pane glass on the previous refresh. I'm just disputing that the major reduction in wind noise comes from the double pane glass. Rather it likely comes from other changes that function under a similar logic as the hacks posted (which address the source of the noise, rather than simply dampening the noise after it is already created).
wrong. they just finished adding double paned glass to reduce road noise. You are chasing a squirrel that only exists in marketing worlds. The fact is that Tesla did NONE of the foam or anything like it because it isn't an area that is a significant source of noise.

• Disagree
wrong. they just finished adding double paned glass to reduce road noise.
That only added it to the rear windows, the front windows were already double paned. As I noted those do almost nothing to help with wind noise (it reduces environmental noise, most noticeable at slower speeds).
You are chasing a squirrel that only exists in marketing worlds. The fact is that Tesla did NONE of the foam or anything like it because it isn't an area that is a significant source of noise.
There is literally a video linked upthread about how they reshaped the hood to push air past the windshield. This thread also links a German video that tore down a Highland and guess what?
"LOTS of sound proofing all around, wheel wells, A pillar down to the base of the sled, rear wheel arches, some of it is just lazy engineering (showing a foam block into a cavity)."
That is pretty much the same thing those hacks do! If you have something in the cavity blocking the wind from getting in, it won't have wind there and thus it won't have wind noise!

That only added it to the rear windows, the front windows were already double paned. As I noted those do almost nothing to help with wind noise (it reduces environmental noise, most noticeable at slower speeds).

There is literally a video linked upthread about how they reshaped the hood to push air past the windshield. This thread also links a German video that tore down a Highland and guess what?
"LOTS of sound proofing all around, wheel wells, A pillar down to the base of the sled, rear wheel arches, some of it is just lazy engineering (showing a foam block into a cavity)."
That is pretty much the same thing those hacks do! If you have something in the cavity blocking the wind from getting in, it won't have wind there and thus it won't have wind noise!
Pretty much the same?? This is getting funnier by the post. If those hacks added any significant value (ANY), then Tesla would have implemented them because they are CHEAP fixes. Instead, they presented legitimate solutions. It's a fallacy to think that the hacks are anything like the fixes. Maybe along the same vane. And may want to do the same. But they have little to zero impact compared to the newer cars. The best part is that you think a pre-refresh can be the same. I have a 2019, 2023, and 2024 RIGHT now. Lets compare and contrast

Pretty much the same?? This is getting funnier by the post. If those hacks added any significant value (ANY), then Tesla would have implemented them because they are CHEAP fixes. Instead, they presented legitimate solutions. It's a fallacy to think that the hacks are anything like the fixes. Maybe along the same vane. And may want to do the same. But they have little to zero impact compared to the newer cars. The best part is that you think a pre-refresh can be the same. I have a 2019, 2023, and 2024 RIGHT now. Lets compare and contrast
Nice goal post moving. You first claim the only significant change was the double pane windows and "The fact is that Tesla did NONE of the foam". Now I show clearly that they also are doing the same cavity filling with foam (much like the hacks linked previously), you now say they presented "legitimate solutions".

From the first thread I posted, the solution posted #1 is a z-weather stripping at leading edge of front door and foam block to completely fill the junction to the front fender. Although the video doesn't show the door in detail to see if anything changed in the weather stripping, at 9:42 it shows it also has a piece to completely fill the junction at the front fender. #2 uses fiber insulation to insulate the rear wheel wells. Although the video doesn't show the area inside, in 9:00 it shows the wheel well liners uses fiber mats to insulate the wheel wells. How is that not pretty much the doing the same things?

Is it that hard to admit you were not aware of the other sound proofing changes Highland made to the car?

FYI, I have a 2021 refresh that has the front double pane glass already, so I'm not a driver without double pane glass trying to do confirmation bias and claim the glass provided limited sound proofing. I did DIY PPF and routing of power for my security system in my car, so I have personally looked into the cavities shown in the video as well as the wheel well liners and I can say my car has none of the foam and other sound deadening that the Highland now has.

Last edited:
Nice goal post moving. You first claim the only significant change was the double pane windows and "The fact is that Tesla did NONE of the foam". Now I show clearly that they also are doing the same cavity filling with foam (much like the hacks linked previously), you now say they presented "legitimate solutions".

From the first thread I posted, the solution posted #1 is a z-weather stripping at leading edge of front door and foam block to completely fill the junction to the front fender. Although the video doesn't show the door in detail to see if anything changed in the weather stripping, at 9:42 it shows it also has a piece to completely fill the junction at the front fender. #2 uses fiber insulation to insulate the rear wheel wells. Although the video doesn't show the area inside, in 9:00 it shows the wheel well liners uses fiber mats to insulate the wheel wells. How is that not pretty much the doing the same things?

Is it that hard to admit you were not aware of the other sound proofing changes Highland made to the car?

FYI, I have a 2021 refresh that has the front double pane glass already, so I'm not a driver without double pane glass trying to do confirmation bias and claim the glass provided limited sound proofing. I did DIY PPF and routing of power for my security system in my car, so I have personally looked into the cavities shown in the video as well as the wheel well liners and I can say my car has none of the foam and other sound deadening that the Highland now has.
💯 👆

What tires are on the car? I found replacing the 18" oem tires reduced the road noise more than the thicker glass.
On my 2018 model 3, I replaced the OEM tires with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. These tires were so much quieter than OEM and also were much better on the twisties. I was going to do the same on my 2023 M3P, but decided to wait until the original tires get worn more.