Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am seeing on Facebook that someone got a call about their black paint car and was told to change to another color for faster delivery as they haven't made any with black paint yet but have white, blue, red, and grey available for delivery.

Reactions: jwuwu
Same here. Got a call today from Fremont regarding my Black on Black AWD FSD 20in order saying it will be another 1-2 months. Offered faster delivery if I wanted to change today to white, blue, or red Like spsheridan, going to wait it out for black.

I am seeing on Facebook that someone got a call about their black paint car and was told to change to another color for faster delivery as they haven't made any with black paint yet but have white, blue, red, and grey available for delivery.

Got the call that the black exterior could/would take months. I switched to the pearl, and wanted to add the white seats, but was told that would also delay the delivery. Ended up with pearl and black seats. If I hadn’t totaled my car in December, and needed a car ASAP I would definitely wait for the black exterior.

Nope, black is still not in production. However I don’t know why. I’m very curious to why they didn’t produce any yet.
Yep, @Tholland is right. Out of the 114 Model Ys that have delivery dates and 126 that have received a VIN to date in the spreadsheet, none include a Solid Black exterior. Plus Tesla reps were making calls to folks who ordered black asking if they would switch to another color to get their car earlier. I'm also wondering what's going on with that color. Total speculation but could there have been a problem with the black paint process? But I don't see why that color would be any more challenging than the four other colors.

Yep, @Tholland is right. Out of the 114 Model Ys that have delivery dates and 126 that have received a VIN to date in the spreadsheet, none include a Solid Black exterior. Plus Tesla reps were making calls to folks who ordered black asking if they would switch to another color to get their car earlier. I'm also wondering what's going on with that color. Total speculation but could there have been a problem with the black paint process? But I don't see why that color would be any more challenging than the four other colors.
Correct. If anything the other colors are harder to produce correctly. But who knows. I can appreciate them offering other colors to those people so they can take delivery. But I’m worrried about that color tho. Seems strange

Reactions: spsheridan
Could you not get another color and then wrap it in black? Not the same?

My boyfriend mentioned having it wrapped. I’m not sure how that would work, but it may be an option.

Because getting a color wrap that is half decent still costs about $4K to $6K. It'll look different, and subjectively I think it would look way worse (it's usually a vinyl wrap, not a nice painted on look). Or just wait a few months to get the right color for $1K over the white.