TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Black Powder Coated Wheels

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Fluke, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Fluke

Fluke Member

#1 Fluke, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    I didn't see any previous threads discussing having the stock Roadster wheels powder coated. My roadster came with stock silver wheels and looked great, but I wanted to have more contrast between the wheels and the body so had the wheels powder coated. I had never investigated getting wheels powder coated and surprisingly found that there are not many choices in my area for getting a quality job done. After quite a bit of searching and asking around I found a place that would do them. The most difficult part of the job according to the shop was getting the existing coating off without damaging the wheels. Apparently the existing coating is quite durable.

While the car was wheel-less, I upgraded to Carbotech AX6 brake pads.

I'm quite happy with the results.

Silver Black Wheels M.jpg

2. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#2 wiztecy, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    Awesome job! I know jbini1 had his powder coated but didn't write about it. Also Roadster #436 (now for sale) had the early non-forged rims powdercoated and I have to say the look good too:
    bJ8AyevnbZ1G2.JPG [/URL]
    dKNnmBHDXw872.JPG

3. 7racer

7racer Member

Looks great!

4. bart513

bart513 Member

Nice job Fluke!!! It looks fantastic!

5. jbadger

jbadger Roadster #506

Looks amazing! May I ask how much you paid? I'd love to have my coated.

6. Fluke

Fluke Member

#6 Fluke, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    I've seen threads discussing cost for powder coating Model S wheels where the cost per wheel was mentioned as $50 to $100. I had trouble even finding a shop to do the work in my area and could have saved some money by shipping the wheels to another state that has more options. In the end I paid more, kept the business local and found someone who could help me out on future projects. As a result, my cost was closer to double the high side of Model S wheels. The cost went up when the shop had to send the wheels out to be plastic bead blasted to get the existing coating off without damaging the wheels. They said the existing clear coat appeared to be a powder coat (I don't know if this is true).

I also had the shop replace the old tires with Continental Extreme Contacts while they were at it.

7. Fluke

Fluke Member

I wanted a complete black-out look for the wheels except for the Tesla logo center caps, so discussed options with my shop for the lug bolts and air stems. For the lug bolts, I wound up ordering a new black color set from Elise-Shop.com. For the air stems I had the shop paint the barrel black as these would not stand up to the powder coat baking process.

8. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

If I'd known those were available, I would have ordered some by now. Elise-Shop is in the UK. How did you arrange the shipping? The quote they gave for shipping was almost $300. What did you do for the anti-theft bolts?

9. Fluke

Fluke Member

They only had one shipping option when I ordered. The bolts were about $4.30 each, and the total for 20 bolts with shipping was $135. So shipping was around $50 for the order. They used UPS Express Saver service.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

He probably skipped the anti-theft bolts. I actually ordered 4 regular bolts and replaced them on my car. I swap wheels quite often and they are (a) a pain and (b) fragile. Also most thieves are probably not carrying around the right adapter to take out the regular bolts. (And I've never heard of wheels being stolen in this town - they just steal the whole car.)

11. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#11 wiztecy, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    Appears there's a BMW M3 lug bolt that's equivalent:
    Lotus Elise Modification, Installing BMW Lug Nuts

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/bmw-wheel-bolts-perfect-fit-they-black-6109/

Lot of 12 on ebay for $22 + $9 shipping:
    Lots of 12 Wheel Lug Bolt for BMW 36 13 1 095 390 | eBay

lugnuts2.jpg

As for wheel / tire theft I don't think the Tesla Roadster is a target. That was a thing of the 80s but haven't heard of it happening for a while. Its actually silly, those locking lugs don't work. I've pulled many off just as fast as a regular lug, bang a socket over it and it'll turn / come off.

Biggest waste of money and false security.

12. AltPowr

AltPowr Member

Just checked Elise-Shop and the black ones are 2.95 Euros each ( so about $4.04 today each), and the only shipping option provided is 155.46 Euros ($213 today). So the total for 20 black bolts to anywhere in the US is about $300. I even put in Stillwell, KS 66085, same shipping. Anyone know where else to get these for under $150 for the set?

13. HVM

HVM Savolainen

Black powder as anti-thief measure... I think that's illegal ;P

14. Fluke

Fluke Member

I went back and double checked what they charged me and then checked out the elise-shop listing again. You are right, the shipping options must have changed in the last month because the $50 shipping that they used on my order does not show up. Sorry.

I just skipped the anti-theft bolts. Not a real stolen-wheel Mecca in this part of the country.

15. Fluke

Fluke Member

Just on a whim went back to Elise-Shop to see what their shipping currently would be for the black wheel bolts. Today, the shipping quote was about $70. Looks like their shipping cost is all over the place!

16. AltPowr

AltPowr Member

Awesome - I just ordered a set of 20 black ones for $143.80 (US) shipped to California. Maybe they have an issue with their shipping calculations, but that price is good enough for me - I hate the crusty silver bolts on my nice black wheels.

17. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

#17 wycolo, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    Importer located in Los Angeles, CA for all lug bolts/nuts BMW or Roadster (BIMECC brand) phone: 1-888-RAD-BOLT. Knows his stuff and can order hard to find items from Europe if necessary. Such as Roadster BIMECC bolts 4mm longer for use with thicker MOMO rims.
    --

18. shrink

shrink Member

After hemming and hawing and trying to get black forged rims, I just couldn't justify the cost, so I powder coated the silver forged wheels that came with my car. I think it looks great. They're a satin black, not a glossy black. The shop recommended the satin over glossy to show off the shape of the rims bit more. Once I saw the finishes in person, satin was an easy choice.

Cost was very reasonable. I needed new tires, too, and Tesla wanted over $300 for the AD07's. Ridiculous. This shop with the powder coating charged me about 1/2 of what Tesla was asking.

Here are some pics:

IMG_6869.jpg

IMG_6868.jpg

IMG_6870.jpg

IMG_6872.jpg

IMG_6874.jpg

IMG_6873.jpg

and one before shot:

IMG_6787.jpg

19. bart513

bart513 Member

Shrink! They look sweet! Nice work:)

20. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Looks great and the satin really fits that car well. The silver rims really don't go with anything else on the car, black however does. Especially with your interior, brings it all out in a good way.