Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black reverse camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the past few days, when I backed out of the garage, the camera would go black for several seconds, long enough for my stress levels to rise. I decided to chill and the camera returned to normal operations by the time I was out on the driveway. This has happend 3-4 times.

I just got a software update to 2020.16.2.1, so I'll see if the unwanted behavior persists or not.

This black screen while in reverse has happened to me twice and I've had the car for only two days. Had to do the two button reboot for the camera to come back on. Apparently this is a known issue for a while now with the other models, so it doesn't seem like they've found a fix [Rear view camera malfunction][Anyone elase get a Black screen from rear view camera ?]. Will notify the SC when I take my car in for other issues.

Last edited:
I had the same problem when I took delivery of my Y. I rebooted and same problem, I went back to my Tesla guy and told him, He also rebooted and took car around to service and brought back in a few minutes. He said they did some type reset that only they can do and it cleared it up and haven't had the problem since. That should have been a clue to me to turn the car back in then.