Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone elase get a Black screen from rear view camera ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed this morning when reversing out of my garage that the rear view camera pop up screen was pitch black ?

When going forward , I put on the rear view manually and it was still black .

Anyone else experience this ? And what is going on ?

I texted my sales rep. and he said to try rebooting the computer with the steering wheel buttons.
I will try that next time I drive the car.

That happened to me last week. For about a 4 hour period, I had no picture from the rear view camera. In reverse, I saw the two guide lines, but the rest of the picture was black, Multiple reboots, including a full power shut down while on the phone with Tesla support, made no difference. I scheduled an appointment to have the hardware checked, only to have things start working again on their own later that same day.

Not sure what happened, or why, and I haven't canceled the appointment quite yet, but it's been fine ever since.

This happened to my wife's LR RWD on Saturday. It was black throughout the entire drive (about 15 min.), the Soft and Hard reset both did not work. About 2 hours later, back to normal. I assume it must've been a glitch and only a complete restart (car powering down and off for 15 min, then waking up) fixed it.

This happened to my wife's LR RWD on Saturday. It was black throughout the entire drive (about 15 min.), the Soft and Hard reset both did not work. About 2 hours later, back to normal. I assume it must've been a glitch and only a complete restart (car powering down and off for 15 min, then waking up) fixed it.

Were you really driving in reverse for 15 minutes?

My 13 month old LR RWD started doing this sporadically about a month ago — happened again yesterday but then as usual cured itself. Sounds like some bug in a recent firmware update given the other reports in this thread. I did report it the first time a month ago but don’t see any point taking it in until it stays black.

I had a similar problem with my S a year ago but it wasn’t sporadic so screen was replaced under warranty. (I am “reactivating” this dead thread to keep this issue on the front burner.}

Reactions: outdoors
I noticed this morning when reversing out of my garage that the rear view camera pop up screen was pitch black ?

When going forward , I put on the rear view manually and it was still black .

Anyone else experience this ? And what is going on ?

I texted my sales rep. and he said to try rebooting the computer with the steering wheel buttons.
I will try that next time I drive the car.
Happened to my wife last week. I told her to restart the car’s computer (hold both buttons down) and it fixed the issue and hasn’t recurred since. I assumed it was a bug in one of the updates. I guess as long as you view this as driving a computer (Windows ha ha) instead of a standard car, these things won’t be unexpected or bothersome as much.

Rear camera has been out for several days in wife's 3DMP. Also, TACC is out too. Hard reset (brake and two wheel buttons) didn't work. Any ideas guys? Otherwise, it's all the way to Tampa for service :mad::mad: unless the planned update on 3/15 (with the reported 23hp boost!:p:p) somehow fixes this

Last edited: