Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blacklisted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a new to me car in the beginning of May. I ran a car fax report before buying the car and it was clean with one previous accident. I was using the car like normal supercharging and all until I couldn’t. I made a service appointment and was told my car was salvaged. I called the dmv in utah. Title shows clean. I called the dmv in colorado where the car was last the title was clean there as well. I spoke with Tesla they said they had never seen anything like this she said she would let me know if she finds anything out. I got a message today saying the car had a photo online of the accident and because of that photo the determined that the car was salvaged and now my car is blacklisted. What the heck can I do!

My understanding is that vehicles are only black listed if they have rebuilt or salvaged title. If there is no record of the vehicle having such title the car should not be black listed based on a picture. I know they are doing a salvage title test/inspection now to turn back the SC but you should not have to go through this and pay to have it reactivated since the case was never salvaged title.

Pretty sure it's been posted by others that Tesla doesn't really follow title status but rather "if the car was ever in the wreck" they cut SC...
While using an accident pic from internet is a stretch, there were many claims that Tesla scouts web for salvaged VINs...
In this case tho, i'm pretty sure its from CarFax, since it listed accident, thats enough for them to disable SC

@badpurchase I would try and do a web search using your VIN and you might find the photo / descriptions / auction that caused Tesla to declare your vehicle as salvage. After I donated my BMW 323i to Habitat For Humanity, I later found the auction site which listed my car months later.

edit: It's been a bit over four years ago since I gave up the BMW, but I can still see a photo of it when I search with WBAAM3343YKC71448. It appears at the bottom of the page for another 2000 BMW 323i at autoauctionhistory.com.

Last edited:
My understanding is that vehicles are only black listed if they have rebuilt or salvaged title. If there is no record of the vehicle having such title the car should not be black listed based on a picture. I know they are doing a salvage title test/inspection now to turn back the SC but you should not have to go through this and pay to have it reactivated since the case was never salvaged title.
At this point I just want a fully functioning car. I would be willing to pay for the inspection but they said they don’t offer it for a model x.

Pretty sure it's been posted by others that Tesla doesn't really follow title status but rather "if the car was ever in the wreck" they cut SC...
While using an accident pic from internet is a stretch, there were many claims that Tesla scouts web for salvaged VINs...
In this case tho, i'm pretty sure its from CarFax, since it listed accident, thats enough for them to disable SC
It’s crazy to me. I understand that superchargers are owned by Tesla so they can choose who use them but to disable all fast charging seems like it crosses ethical lines.

Firstly, "clean with one previous accident" is an oxymoron, imho. It looks like you need sue/threaten to sue the seller for undisclosed damages. If they are fly by night, then sadly, you have learned a very expensive lesson.
At this point I just want a fully functioning car. I would be willing to pay for the inspection but they said they don’t offer it for a model x.
the is not correct the inspection is also available for the MX, I have seen other MX owners with a Salvaged MX pass the inspection and get the SC enabled again. You can also get CCS enabled for $450 which includes the adapter and use third party fast chargers.

I bought a new to me car in the beginning of May. I ran a car fax report before buying the car and it was clean with one previous accident. I was using the car like normal supercharging and all until I couldn’t. I made a service appointment and was told my car was salvaged. I called the dmv in utah. Title shows clean. I called the dmv in colorado where the car was last the title was clean there as well. I spoke with Tesla they said they had never seen anything like this she said she would let me know if she finds anything out. I got a message today saying the car had a photo online of the accident and because of that photo the determined that the car was salvaged and now my car is blacklisted. What the heck can I do!

How many states was that car actually registered in? There seems to be an uptick in these kind of threads, and each time I read one it sounds like the car has been title washed. Google "title washing", then search the internet for your vin and see if it was ever sold by any of the auto auction sites that specialize in salvage type cars (copart, iiai, etc).

I am betting either one or both of those things are true (either the car moved states more than a couple times in a short period of time, and/or the car was sold by a company that specializes in damaged / salvage vehicle auctions.

The OP can likely find this out by doing research on their vin to see how many states the car has been in.

OP also doesnt say where they bought the car from, but in most of these cases the car is either private party purchase (after the car moved around a lot) or at some small "joes car lot" type place.

How will Tesla know if vehicles that are not Teslas have salvage titles? Will they ban those vehicles as well since Tesla has opened up Superchargers to other Makes. If someone has Tesla insurance and the car has a high repair bill from an accident Tesla could ban that car from Supercharging because Tesla has pictures of the damaged car?

How many states was that car actually registered in? There seems to be an uptick in these kind of threads, and each time I read one it sounds like the car has been title washed. Google "title washing", then search the internet for your vin and see if it was ever sold by any of the auto auction sites that specialize in salvage type cars (copart, iiai, etc).

I am betting either one or both of those things are true (either the car moved states more than a couple times in a short period of time, and/or the car was sold by a company that specializes in damaged / salvage vehicle auctions.

The OP can likely find this out by doing research on their vin to see how many states the car has been in.

OP also doesnt say where they bought the car from, but in most of these cases the car is either private party purchase (after the car moved around a lot) or at some small "joes car lot" type place.
The car was owned by one owner who moved from California to Colorado in 2019. It was in an accident in February 2023. Then moved to UTAH in March. The car was bought the sold to a small dealership. I bought the car April 30th 2023. It was sold to me with the understanding that it had been in an accident with minor front end damage.
I agree it was most likely title washed. Unfortunately Colorado shows that it’s a clean title and so does Utah. I have no idea how to prove it was washed unfortunately. I’ve contacted carfax to start the buy back guarantee they have but I doubt I qualify as the title is technically clean unless Tesla can provide some sort of documentation.

On a better note I took it to get serviced as the battery fuse warning was on. Tesla is now doing the salvage title inspection. Fingers crossed that I will be able to supercharge when I get it back.

Reactions: Genie