Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Need a Credible Source

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking to purchase a 2016 Tesla Model X 75D.

It has 61k miles
Never been in an accident
Clean title

However, when I ran a car fax on it, the report showed it was a branded title due to a buy back. He ensured me that the carfax is incorrect and he has a clean title in hand.

I called the salesman and he said a couple of things that I do not understand. I’m hopeful someone who has experience with Tesla’s can help me.

1) He said that mileage doesn’t matter on Tesla’s.

2) He said the only maintenance I will ever need done to the car is changing a $200, 250v battery for the computer every 5 years and changing the tires when they are due to be changed.

3) He said that even though this car has a clean title, a buy-back branded title means nothing with Tesla’s. He explained that basically a person can report a problem with the car and Tesla buys it back, repairs the problem and then it’s back on the market at a very discounted price with a branded title. The car is good as new.

4) He also said the window seals will crack and break, but it doesn’t leak.

Can anyone support or refute these claims?

Thank you in advance!

Solution

It has 61k miles
Clean title

However, when I ran a car fax on it, the report showed it was a branded title due to a buy back. He ensured me that the carfax is incorrect and he has a clean title in hand.

I called the salesman and he said a couple of things that I do not understand. I’m hopeful someone who has experience with Tesla’s can help me.

2) He said the only maintenance I will ever need done to the car is changing a $200, 250v battery for the computer every 5 years and changing the tires when they are due to be changed.

3) He said that even though this car has a clean title, a buy-back...

Im going to stop you right here, after this sentence, and say "dont buy this car". Im not going to bother with the rest of the questions, because they are not relevant, since you should not even consider buying this car. Find another Tesla to buy.

No reason to take a chance, and believe whomever "He" is, vs what your eyes told you when you ran the carfax. Carfax makes mistakes, but the car is just as likely to be title washed as it is for carfax to be wrong.

Find another one... I mean the salesman is basically telling you the car has a branded title (point 3), and might as well also tell you all 61k miles were driven by a senior citizen who never drove above 25MPH back and forth to church, daily.

Upvote 0

It has 61k miles
Clean title

3) He said that even though this car has a clean title, a buy-back branded title means nothing with Tesla’s. He explained that basically a person can report a problem with the car and Tesla buys it back, repairs the problem and then it’s back on the market at a very discounted price with a branded title. The car is good as new.

Thank you in advance!
DO NOT BUY THIS CAR.!! This vehicle had been bought back by the manufacturer for a legal reason. It is a LEMON under the law and it most likely be a serious issue for you in the future. Becuase your aware of this you are no longer legally protected by the lemon laws .

Reactions: chillaban
Upvote 0

It has 61k miles
Clean title

Thank you in advance!

1) mileage and age do matter because the warranty is based on those.

2) true about minimal maintenance but you still need to do something like tires rotation, air filter change, 12v battery replacement, tires, brakes...

3) Clean means spotless. They need to clear their records even from Carfax then we can talk.

4) it's wear and tear so miles and age do matter.

Now that you are informed, you can make an informed decision either way.

Upvote 0
Solution
He said the only maintenance I will ever need done to the car is changing a $200, 250v battery for the computer every 5 years and changing the tires when they are due to be changed.

🤣 Lots of salesperson talk here, assuming this is exactly they said.

First off, the details here are just wrong. I wouldn't trust this person at all. It's not a 250v (!) battery and it's not just for the computer. Teslas have a low voltage battery (roughly 13-16v) and older cars do need to replace these periodically.

The overall gist here (lower maintenance costs) is true but they failed to mentioned:
- brake pads (they do last longer but not forever)
- windshield wipers
- windshield wiper fluid
- cabin air filter
- tire rotations

He said that mileage doesn’t matter on Tesla’s.

Mileage has pretty low impact on the drive units and battery and less impact on brake pad wear.

In all other regards, Tesla's are just cars. Windshields pick up chips, paint picks up damage, suspension components wear, interior wear and tear happens, etc. A 300k mile Tesla is going to feel like a 300k mile car.

Upvote 0