Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind Spot Monitering - After Market

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, obviously love my MS... but one thing I truly miss from my Mazda is the amazing little flash and beep when I throw my blinker on if someone is in my blind spot.

Tesla not having anything thing useful in the front blew my mind, so... has anyone here installed or have history with after market System?

• Helpful
Reactions: Tazman
Jordan0301, couldn't agree more. My prior car (Benz E class) and my wife's car (Infiniti) both give you a flash and audible warning if you put on your blinker while someone is in your blind spot. The only thing I truly miss with the Tesla -- wish they would add a software upgrade for it. If there is an aftermarket solution, that would help, but I don't know of any.

Rumrunner good video, but I don't trust myself to make sure this is right every time.

Just leave your rear view camera on all the time. It's almost 160 degrees wide angle, so captures anything in your blind spots. Just have to get used the fact that objects are closer than they appear.

After one year of using this, I find it painful to drive any of my other cars. I keep on glancing at the center dash area out of habit.

I tried the mirror thing and it just doesn't work in LA freeway traffic because of motorcycle lane splitting. You don't hear them coming until they have passed you and they usually drive by very close to the cars at high speeds too. I want to see them coming and leave them enough space, and the only way that works is by having the mirrors adjusted the "incorrect" way. I rather turn my head when changing lane than risking being hit by a motorcycle.

Reactions: Buddy
I know it is lo-tech, but I always buy those stick-on mirrors from Pep Boys to cover the blind spot. Once you get used to them, you can't live without them.
I agree. I do keep the rear camera on all the time as well, but the last thing I do before moving over is check the blind spot mirror. I assume it would be easy for Tesla to at least trigger a beep warning if you're indicating at the car detects an object....there'll be a few false alarms, so maybe limit the warning to 2 lane+ roads. Assume they could also introduce some resistance to the steering wheel.

If your mirrors are adjusted correctly (unlike the vast majority of drivers) there are no blind spots:

Yeah and this video also shows were this setup totally fails:
See that red line? That's where you can't see anything if you have a larger car or truck behind you.
blind.png

Now imagine you are stuck here and at some point decide to take the exit. How is for example the black car in the front right supposed to see cars approaching at much higher speeds in the exit lane when his centre mirror is blocked by the red van and his side mirror can just see 2-3 car lengths back? Sure he could speed up, but most likely the red van will be behind him within right away again.
640px-Ritsen_Autosnelweg_A2.jpg

In that case a blind spot monitoring system wouldn't work either, as it's not looking multiple car lengths back. In the situation you describe, you'd do what most folks do today - move in your seat to get a better view and/or twist in your seat and look out your rear or side windows. As you edge toward the lane markings you will begin to see further behind you. That vision will help you identify fast approaching cars, and moving over slowly with your blinker on will alert any fast drivers in the exit lane that you're moving over. They can slow down, or honk, or flash lights, or hit you I suppose.

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc