TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Blind Spot Monitering - After Market

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Jordan0301, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Jordan0301

Jordan0301 Member

So, obviously love my MS... but one thing I truly miss from my Mazda is the amazing little flash and beep when I throw my blinker on if someone is in my blind spot.

Tesla not having anything thing useful in the front blew my mind, so... has anyone here installed or have history with after market System?

• Helpful x 1
  2. RumRunner

RumRunner Member

If your mirrors are adjusted correctly (unlike the vast majority of drivers) there are no blind spots:

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. ctscott

ctscott New Member

Jordan0301, couldn't agree more. My prior car (Benz E class) and my wife's car (Infiniti) both give you a flash and audible warning if you put on your blinker while someone is in your blind spot. The only thing I truly miss with the Tesla -- wish they would add a software upgrade for it. If there is an aftermarket solution, that would help, but I don't know of any.

Rumrunner good video, but I don't trust myself to make sure this is right every time.

4. Battman

Battman Member

Just leave your rear view camera on all the time. It's almost 160 degrees wide angle, so captures anything in your blind spots. Just have to get used the fact that objects are closer than they appear.

After one year of using this, I find it painful to drive any of my other cars. I keep on glancing at the center dash area out of habit.

5. ctscott

ctscott New Member

Worth a try, thanks. Still wish I had the audible.

6. jzhan

jzhan Member

I tried the mirror thing and it just doesn't work in LA freeway traffic because of motorcycle lane splitting. You don't hear them coming until they have passed you and they usually drive by very close to the cars at high speeds too. I want to see them coming and leave them enough space, and the only way that works is by having the mirrors adjusted the "incorrect" way. I rather turn my head when changing lane than risking being hit by a motorcycle.

• Like x 1
  7. CLLACAB

CLLACAB Member

I know it is lo-tech, but I always buy those stick-on mirrors from Pep Boys to cover the blind spot. Once you get used to them, you can't live without them.

• Like x 1
  8. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I agree. I do keep the rear camera on all the time as well, but the last thing I do before moving over is check the blind spot mirror. I assume it would be easy for Tesla to at least trigger a beep warning if you're indicating at the car detects an object....there'll be a few false alarms, so maybe limit the warning to 2 lane+ roads. Assume they could also introduce some resistance to the steering wheel.

9. asrose

asrose Member

Not sure if it's a defect, but in my 2016 S (purchased days before new AP), the blind spot monitoring doesn't show anything unless the car is alongside.

10. Hazelwood

Hazelwood Member

It doesn't have blind spot monitoring. Usually blind spot monitoring requires side cameras (frequently in the mirrors). The sensors cover back side and front side but not center area side.

11. Spidy

Spidy Member

Yeah and this video also shows were this setup totally fails:
    See that red line? That's where you can't see anything if you have a larger car or truck behind you.
    blind.png

Now imagine you are stuck here and at some point decide to take the exit. How is for example the black car in the front right supposed to see cars approaching at much higher speeds in the exit lane when his centre mirror is blocked by the red van and his side mirror can just see 2-3 car lengths back? Sure he could speed up, but most likely the red van will be behind him within right away again.
    [​IMG]

12. RumRunner

RumRunner Member

In that case a blind spot monitoring system wouldn't work either, as it's not looking multiple car lengths back. In the situation you describe, you'd do what most folks do today - move in your seat to get a better view and/or twist in your seat and look out your rear or side windows. As you edge toward the lane markings you will begin to see further behind you. That vision will help you identify fast approaching cars, and moving over slowly with your blinker on will alert any fast drivers in the exit lane that you're moving over. They can slow down, or honk, or flash lights, or hit you I suppose.

• Funny x 1
  13. RYCO

RYCO Member

14. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

15. HebrHmr

HebrHmr Member

If you're always going faster than everyone else you never have to worry about what's behind you! :D

• Funny x 1