TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Blue Model S for Sale

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by MarkR, Jul 20, 2013.

1. MarkR

MarkR Member

#1 MarkR, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
    85kWh battery, tan leather interior, obeche matte trim, air suspension, pano roof, 19" wheels, window tinting, about 8400 miles. I love this car, but have decided to get a red one with the tech package. CarMax has offered $80k. If you can do better than this, please let me know. Please PM me if interested. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

80k is a great offer considering no tech package and after the 7.5 tax credit...

3. GSP

GSP Member

You may want to consider having someone familiar with paving bicycle racers drive for you, while you ride in the car. I would at least ask the race organizers if there are any tricks or teniqies that you should be aware of.

GSP

4. timf

timf Member

That configuration new prices out to $79,570 after tax credit, so CarMax is essentially offering you more than you paid for the car which I find hard to believe if they want to resell it. I would take their offer in an instant.

5. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

That really is a great offer Mark...

Congrats on ordering the red -- I didn't see one until after I had already placed my order (white), and after seeing it in person, it is stunning.

6. MarkR

MarkR Member

My guess is that CarMax will use the car as a draw to their dealership - smart move. For those who want the car immediately, my car is perfect and there is no wait.

7. MarkR

MarkR Member

SOLD the Model S to CarMax for $80k. Great selling experience. Can't wait for the new S!

8. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

Wow, that is amazing. I loved you blue but I would go for the red now too (not available when you got yours I know).

Let me know when it is here. I am sure it is hard to be without your S.

9. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Wait, they bought it for nearly sticker?

10. MarkR

MarkR Member

Yeah . . . It was really MORE than sticker if you consider the $7500 tax incentive. The fact that no dealer in Arizona has one and the dealer exclusivity laws in Arizona keep Tesla from giving test drives may have worked in my favor. CarMax may be the only place in the state where you can test drive and then immediately buy a Model S! They voiced that they were taking a risk when they bought it.

11. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

Good for you!!!
    I agree: the Multi-coat Red is stunning in real life, even better that the photos.

Things worked out well for both you and Carmax.
    They have a car that won't last long on their lot, and you have the correct color that you desire.
    I guess, you actually had the FIRST Test Drive for your car, now you get to add the Tech package and you also get ANOTHER $7,500 tax incentive.

Such a DEAL!

12. MarkR

MarkR Member

Life is good!

13. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Usually don't use such language; F'ing awesome! Yeah, supply and demand, simplicity, beauty, performance, design with class leading features. First 'mass' market car in history to actually increase in value after being driven off the 'lot' (err...factory)

14. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

As I understand it, this incentive has length-of-ownership rules.

15. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

No it doesn't. The IRS will simply view it with suspicion as the rule is that you cannot buy for resale.

CA incentives do have a pro rata length of ownership rule.

This simply seems like CarMax believing the combination of a draw or "market adjustment" will allow them to make mo ey off it.

16. MarkR

MarkR Member

VFX: You might be correct, but the rep at Ownership Experience was amused by the idea that I'd have two incentives in two different years. I'll let my tax accountant sort that out. Thanks for your concern.

17. keys

keys Member

I don't understand, how is this beneficial for CarMax other than PR value?

--edit-- great sell though :D

18. shrink

shrink Member

There is no length of ownership requirement for the Federal Tax credit. Since we don't have an AZ EV credit, you are good to go. Congrats!

19. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

If they sell it at a premium.

20. MarkR

MarkR Member

The draw to their lot has to be their primary motovation. There are probably a few impulse buyers at the $80k+ price point, but most people would be willing to wait 4-5 weeks to get the car and capture the tax incentive.

You my be aware that CarMax bias a "no haggle" policy so I didn't do anything special to get the price . . . other than having it detailed prior to the appraisal.