Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blue Origin - Booster Reuse - New Shepard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sub-orbital launches and recoveries do not impress me in the same way that the recent SpaceX first stage recovery does. There are orders of magnitude differences between what Blue Origin has demonstrated and what SpaceX has actually accomplished.
What Blue Origin is demonstrating seems only applicable to the space tourism industry, and is not useful for launching payloads into orbit.
Bezos is not going to get to Mars in the foreseeable future. Elon likely is. Bezos may get rich tourists to the edge of space for a few minutes, and if I had the money I would love to make that trip, but I don't have that kind of bank account. I am confident that in my lifetime I will watch a SpaceX rocket lift off and head to Mars. My wife and I will be traveling to Florida to watch that launch!

Inspirational. I agree that BO is not in the same league as SpaceX. That said, I am happy to see any advancement in rocketry. BO seems to have a workable launch and landing system that could possibly upgraded to an orbital system. If SpaceX wasn't achieving what it has achieved then I'd be incredibly excited about what BO is doing. What SpaceX has done is revolutionary. What BO has done is a nice improvement that could lead to better things.

And congratulations Blue Origins, well done.

Even granting that a space hopper like Blue Origin is in a different class from SpaceX's craft, it is magnificent that BO has been able to perform a repeat. I hope that underneath the companies' leaders' tweet-wars, there is real sharing of hard-won knowledge.

What bugs me about the most recent press release is that they used weasel words about it being a production rocket, so that they couldn't be upstaged by SS1 which did the same thing years before.

But... It's not production, is it? How can you call a one off rocket a production vehicle? And are they actually going to use this rocket (or other ones made like this) to do real launches? They even said they are working on development of their orbital rocket right now... So I'm not sure what is so "first" about this that couldn't be applied to SS1. Not to mention didn't one of the launches of SS1 include paying customers?

origins.png

Or by flying hardware that only has 10% of the energy required to achieve orbit.

• Funny
Reactions: MitchMitch
But... It's not production, is it? How can you call a one off rocket a production vehicle? And are they actually going to use this rocket (or other ones made like this) to do real launches? They even said they are working on development of their orbital rocket right now... So I'm not sure what is so "first" about this that couldn't be applied to SS1. Not to mention didn't one of the launches of SS1 include paying customers?

No, only test pilots.

I've watched the video a few times now. That's cool. Period. No qualifiers, no buts, no nothing.

Every time we see something like this - in this case, a rocket that's been launched, landed, and then launched and landed again, the art of the possible in people's minds expands. All of a sudden, rockets that get thrown away each time is starting to seem quaintly old fashioned, and we've only (by my count) had 3 rockets launched and landed thus far. And that's cool.

Our frontiers and the art of the possible is expanding before our eyes - that's amazing. It doesn't matter who does it, and it doesn't matter if it's quite as good as what somebody else has done. It's amazing, and it's turning upside down what we think and expect as reasonable when it comes to going to space.

At 1:07 in that video (wide shot of booster stage landing), I'm guessing that's not sped up at all. It amazes my how fast these booster stages are coming in, and they wait for the "last second" to do the retro burn. That's just what happens with such a high thrust-to-weight ratio for the boosted stage when it's low on fuel. Both Blue Origin and SpaceX seem to have the same kind of ballistic approach to a booster landing.

That Launch. Land. Repeat. slogan they keep repeating -- I like that, and I think it sticks an easy mnemonic into people's heads that rebounds favorably on everybody that is doing Launch. Land. Repeat. The slogan makes it clear what is different in this next wave of spaceflight.

At 1:07 in that video (wide shot of booster stage landing), I'm guessing that's not sped up at all. It amazes my how fast these booster stages are coming in, and they wait for the "last second" to do the retro burn. That's just what happens with such a high thrust-to-weight ratio for the boosted stage when it's low on fuel. Both Blue Origin and SpaceX seem to have the same kind of ballistic approach to a booster landing.

There's no other approach than the ballistic one. It's a rocket, that's how they work both going up and down. I agree it's impressive. I think most people can't appreciate the precision required: burn a tad too little or a tad too late and the thing smashes in to ground. Burn just a little too much or too early, the rocket lifts up before touching down, does a small bounce in the air and after that comes crashing down. Basically everything has to be perfect so velocity is exactly 0 at height 0.

There's no other approach than the ballistic one. It's a rocket, that's how they work both going up and down.

Both Falcon and New Shepard have fins and reaction control systems, so -not only ballistic.

Also throttleable engines, so different landing burns are possible:

"Jeff Bezos ‏@JeffBezos Apr 1, Pushing the envelope. Restarting BE-3 fast @ high thrust, just 3600 ft from ground. Impact in 6 sec if engine doesn’t restart & ramp fast."

I agree it's impressive. I think most people can't appreciate the precision required: burn a tad too little or a tad too late and the thing smashes in to ground. Burn just a little too much or too early, the rocket lifts up before touching down, does a small bounce in the air and after that comes crashing down. Basically everything has to be perfect so velocity is exactly 0 at height 0.

This is true only on Falcon. NS have enough thrust and fuel margin to do silly hovering before landing.

• Informative
Reactions: Johan
That Launch. Land. Repeat. slogan they keep repeating -- I like that, and I think it sticks an easy mnemonic into people's heads that rebounds favorably on everybody that is doing Launch. Land. Repeat. The slogan makes it clear what is different in this next wave of spaceflight.
From about a year ago: "Launch and land and re-launch" I could watch this music video 100 times!
Made by some SpaceX fans, with some fun digs and friendly competition language.