Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth connection goes bad after 5-10 minutes of a phone call

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
when I call someone or if they call me while using my 2020 model X bluetooth, the call works fine at first, but after 5-10 minutes of the call, it goes bad. I hear nothing wrong, but the person on the other end of the line says they hear "banging and echoing" such that they cannot continue talking to me. they hang up and call me back and the call is fine at first and then goes bad again.

I've tried un-pairing and re-pairing my phone and it continues to do this.

any suggestions?

You have to be more specific. Have you tried pairing other phones with the car? Have you tried pairing other headsets to your phone? Which device does the problem seem to follow? Have you flashed custom firmware on the phone? If not, have you installed all of the OEM updates for it? Lots of unanswered questions...

Are you mobile or parked when this occurs? Remember there are two radio links in play when using Bluetooth with your mobile phone, the phone to car, and the car to cell site. Try parking where you have good cell service, maintain your call and see if the issue occurs. If all is well under these conditions then your issue is cell coverage and not Bluetooth.

You have to be more specific. Have you tried pairing other phones with the car? Have you tried pairing other headsets to your phone? Which device does the problem seem to follow? Have you flashed custom firmware on the phone? If not, have you installed all of the OEM updates for it? Lots of unanswered questions...

I have not had this problem with my phone connected to any other cars or headsets. I have not tried this with any other phones. yes, my iPhone X is fully up to date and doesn't have any custom firmware on it.

Are you mobile or parked when this occurs? Remember there are two radio links in play when using Bluetooth with your mobile phone, the phone to car, and the car to cell site. Try parking where you have good cell service, maintain your call and see if the issue occurs. If all is well under these conditions then your issue is cell coverage and not Bluetooth.

I have not tried testing this with it parked but it happens every time I talk for more than 5-10 minutes and I'm in a different part of town when it happens. it is not a temporary thing, which is usually the case for cell reception problems.

On the rare occasion where my wife streams audio from her iPhone X to my Model X, it drops the connection every so often. Sounds like it could be the same issue, maybe you're suddenly on speaker instead of Bluetooth? Either way, count me as a second case of iPhone X vs Model X problematic Bluetooth connectivity.

Does it happen after you haven't spoken in awhile?
i'm not sure what you mean. i use my phone almost every day and it happens routinely, day after day and even if i haven't used it for a while.

as far as it being my phone's fault: I don't think it is my phone's fault. i've had it for years and it never does this on any of my other bluetooth enabled cars.

one more thing: when I disconnect the bluetooth and go to speaker phone, and then reconnect the bluetooth to resume the call, it sounds better for a short period of time (a minute or two) and then it resumes making all of the noise for the listerner.

On the rare occasion where my wife streams audio from her iPhone X to my Model X, it drops the connection every so often. Sounds like it could be the same issue, maybe you're suddenly on speaker instead of Bluetooth? Either way, count me as a second case of iPhone X vs Model X problematic Bluetooth connectivity.
Actually, I think my wife as an iPhone 11. Not an iPhone X. Not sure this would make any difference, but one would think that a lot of people would be complaining if iPhones didn't work with Teslas.

What I meant was this: does it happen when the other person is doing all the talking, and you're only listening.

What might be happening is that one of the devices - either your car or your phone - gets confused about which of the sounds in the car is "your voice." If you haven't spoken in awhile, the microphone loses track of your real voice and assumes that some background noise must be "your voice" and adjusts the input sensitivity so that now that noise is transmitted clearly.

Just a guess, but I can't think of what else might be going on.

What I meant was this: does it happen when the other person is doing all the talking, and you're only listening.

What might be happening is that one of the devices - either your car or your phone - gets confused about which of the sounds in the car is "your voice." If you haven't spoken in awhile, the microphone loses track of your real voice and assumes that some background noise must be "your voice" and adjusts the input sensitivity so that now that noise is transmitted clearly.

Just a guess, but I can't think of what else might be going on.

It often happens while i'm talking. I'm in the middle of a paragraph, so to speak, and the other person interrupts and says "its making that banging noise again and it is echoing so that I can't understand you". they then hang up and call back and the same thing happens again, after a few minutes of normal conversation.

How do other Bluetooth applications from your iPhone work, such as Podcasts, Apple Music, etc. Does it make a difference based on who initiates the call? If you mute your phone does that have an impact? I have a 2019, Sept. build date that is fine in regard to Bluetooth, with both my wife and I using iPhone Xs. Will it eventually drop the call if the listener were to endure the noise for a bit? Does audio system in vehicle work normally?

Our car does the same thing, and we've not been able to figure it out. At first I thought it was interference from an apple watch, but it will do it with no watch present. Mobile service looked at our bluetooth module and found nothing wrong. It does it with both an iphone XR and an iphone 11 pro, when there's one or two phones present, and the presence of an apple watch makes no difference. When it starts it sounds like the person (in the tesla) is distant and/or underwater with maybe a slight delay, and then every 5-10 seconds there's a clipping noise (op describes as a banging noise). It's been doing it on our model X through every SW version since June, and nothing has changed.

Anyone else have any thoughts?