Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMS_a079/PCS_a022/PCS_a023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My brand new 2023 MYP threw this code last night. I was in the house and checked the charging status in the app last night and even though I had the charging limit set to 90% it was at 92% then this morning when we went out to get in the car this error message was on the screen and I can't clear it. Everything I have read is this means a HV Battery replacement. I am waiting for contact from the service center. I am in France and the nearest service center is 250km away.

I have tried both my tesla wall mount charger and the 230 volt french plug that came with the car, both go to charge complete as soon as I plug in.

Attachments

• IMG_0624.jpeg
    IMG_0624.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 418
Does anyone know how long it takes for service to respond to an in app service request? I have tried calling service about this battery issue and it says no one is available and hangs up the line.
In the US, if you contact Tesla Roadside assistance the Roadside Assistance operator may be able to view the vehicle's error log. Roadside Assistance will determine whether the vehicle needs to be towed to the nearest Tesla service center. Tesla's policy (was and perhaps still is) that any vehicle towed in to the Tesla Service center, Monday through Friday, needs to be evaluated for repair by a Tesla service technician within 24 hours.

My experience is that through the app, they will wait until 1-3 days before the appointment time to respond to most things. I've learned to always take the soonest appointment, whether you can actually keep it or not. You can always reschedule once they contact you, and for tough to diagnose things, they will often end up bumping your appointment time anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: TBrownTX
My experience is that through the app, they will wait until 1-3 days before the appointment time to respond to most things. I've learned to always take the soonest appointment, whether you can actually keep it or not. You can always reschedule once they contact you, and for tough to diagnose things, they will often end up bumping your appointment time anyway.
If Tesla Roadside Assistance has the vehicle towed to the closest Tesla Service Center then according to Tesla policy the vehicle must be evaluated for repair by a Tesla Service technician within 24 hours (excluding weekends.)

I have these same errors. On Friday my LV battery went, and I had a service apportionment on Saturday where they replaced the battery. Car drove and charged fine the rest of Saturday and Sunday. Then Monday I got the BMS_a079 / PCS_a022 / PCS_a023 errors. Did they end up replacing your HV pack, or was it something else?

Same error just happened for me. New MYP (delivered late July 2023, just 4k miles on it). Have had zero issues, love the car. Last week Friday, drove to work like normal, parked in a plain non-charging parking spot, all good. 68% battery remaining. Came out after work (to a pre-heated car naturally!), and see this error:

BMS_a079 - Unable to charge - Maximum charge level reached - Reduced maximum charge level - Schedule service

Weird as I wasn't even attempting to charge it. So drove it home, uneventful except for that alert staying on the whole time. Once home (55% remaining), put it on the Mobile Charger in the garage. Light by the charge port instantly goes to solid green (done). Screen inside shows 'Charge Complete - 55%'. Maximum is set to 80%, like always. Tried a full reset (via the menu), no change.

So, I set up a service appointment. Earliest available is Thursday (5 days out). Annoying as I don't know what the new 'maximum' charge is, don't feel like I can drive it now, need to have at least enough juice to make it to the SC (30+ miles away).

Internet research said it's usually a full battery replacement. But with a 'refurbished' battery of equivalent range, vs. new. Not super thrilled about that, as I'm very careful with my battery (never over 80%, never below 30%), now I get one that's been through who knows what. Also just annoyed to be dealing with this on a 4-month old car, just 4k miles. Doesn't sound like this is too rare sadly.

----
The result:

Got my 2023 MYP back today, so one week exactly, not bad. Was able to drop it off at the SC early (asked via the app messages), and got a loaner, so at least I wasn't stuck without wheels (got a 2018 M3LR, 44k miles, not bad, but a little rough).

It was a full replacement, the service message said "Diagnosed and replaced HV battery due to brick short in HV battery." No charge of course.

So, still not thrilled to have something major fail on a 4k miles car; but on the good side it did warn me, didn't leave me stranded, and the SC in Eden Prairie MN took good care of me. Overall I'm happy. Too soon to tell if there's any range change, but the trip home seemed about normal.

I never did learn what the max charge level on the bad battery would have been; but it kept warning me (the alarms getting more and more frequent as the remaining charge got lower). Ended at the SC with 37% left, chiming the warning every couple minutes by that point.

• Informative
Similar experience with my '21 M3P with 13K on the clock. In my case, I received a brand new battery. Check your invoice, it will have the battery part number listed. If it's a refurbished battery, the part number with end with an R.

More details on my case here:

Similar experience with my '21 M3P with 13K on the clock. In my case, I received a brand new battery. Check your invoice, it will have the battery part number listed. If it's a refurbished battery, the part number with end with an R.
Very interesting! I've read a number of threads on several sites, and not seen that before. The part number from my invoice is very similar to the one listed in the thread you linked to on your experience. Mine is: Part ASSEMBLY-HVBAT-E3-AWD-1PH(1234422-00-A).

Looks like neither of us got a refurbished pack then. Certainly justifiable in my case (barely 4 months and 4k miles on it); I'm a bit more surprised in your case being a 2021, though 13k miles certainly is exceptionally low, so I can see why.

I hope this is correct. As I said earlier, I've taken pains to take good care of my battery, wasn't thrilled to be receiving one of unknown history. Seems I may be able to take that off my list of life's worries, lol.

Same error just happened for me. New MYP (delivered late July 2023, just 4k miles on it). Have had zero issues, love the car. Last week Friday, drove to work like normal, parked in a plain non-charging parking spot, all good. 68% battery remaining. Came out after work (to a pre-heated car naturally!), and see this error:

BMS_a079 - Unable to charge - Maximum charge level reached - Reduced maximum charge level - Schedule service

Weird as I wasn't even attempting to charge it. So drove it home, uneventful except for that alert staying on the whole time. Once home (55% remaining), put it on the Mobile Charger in the garage. Light by the charge port instantly goes to solid green (done). Screen inside shows 'Charge Complete - 55%'. Maximum is set to 80%, like always. Tried a full reset (via the menu), no change.

So, I set up a service appointment. Earliest available is Thursday (5 days out). Annoying as I don't know what the new 'maximum' charge is, don't feel like I can drive it now, need to have at least enough juice to make it to the SC (30+ miles away).

Internet research said it's usually a full battery replacement. But with a 'refurbished' battery of equivalent range, vs. new. Not super thrilled about that, as I'm very careful with my battery (never over 80%, never below 30%), now I get one that's been through who knows what. Also just annoyed to be dealing with this on a 4-month old car, just 4k miles. Doesn't sound like this is too rare sadly.

----
The result:

Got my 2023 MYP back today, so one week exactly, not bad. Was able to drop it off at the SC early (asked via the app messages), and got a loaner, so at least I wasn't stuck without wheels (got a 2018 M3LR, 44k miles, not bad, but a little rough).

It was a full replacement, the service message said "Diagnosed and replaced HV battery due to brick short in HV battery." No charge of course.

So, still not thrilled to have something major fail on a 4k miles car; but on the good side it did warn me, didn't leave me stranded, and the SC in Eden Prairie MN took good care of me. Overall I'm happy. Too soon to tell if there's any range change, but the trip home seemed about normal.

I never did learn what the max charge level on the bad battery would have been; but it kept warning me (the alarms getting more and more frequent as the remaining charge got lower). Ended at the SC with 37% left, chiming the warning every couple minutes by that point.
I just got the same BMS error (bms_079) on my '21 MYP when I was leaving for work. Dropping my car off to get my HV battery replaced this next week. Bummer, I thought my car was flawless up to this point.