Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW adding Android Auto OTA - Where's Tesla screen mirroring?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bob_p

Apr 5, 2012
BMW has Apple CarPlay and will soon be adding Android Auto through an OTA update.

Several years ago, Musk stated that Tesla would be adding screen mirroring of some kind (probably not the Apple/Android products).

Since the Infotainment Upgrade for MCU1 vehicles drops support for AM/FM/HD radio/XM, providing screen mirroring would be close to a replacement for the lost radio programs (whether it's using a combination of Apple CarPlay & Android Auto or another solution).

Has Musk or Tesla made any comments recently about providing this capability - which appears to be on every EV other manufacturers are bringing to the market???

Agree that a combination of smartphone apps can replace most (if not all) radio programs (including live sports).

While FSD is operating in driver assistance mode, interacting with a smartphone is illegal in many areas while driving.

Until FSD receives regulatory approval, using a smartphone is not an acceptable replacement for the loss of AM/FM/HD radio/XM, unless there is a way to control the smartphone using a combination of voice commands, steering wheel controls or the console display.

I used Android Auto on a rental car last year. It was not a superior experience to what I have now in my Teslas.

In fact, to the downside, when using AA and the passenger, I found I couldn't use Google Maps on my phone at the same time to look up other things.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS
For Tesla owners, the primary benefit of having Apple CarPlay or Android Auto (or another screen mirroring solution) would be to get access to Apple/Android apps that aren't available built-in from Tesla, and use the Tesla UI to interact with those apps.

For MCU1 owners interested in the infotainment upgrade, the ability to interact with smartphone apps through the Tesla UI would provide a replacement for the loss of AM/FM/HD/XM radio (which isn't provided by Tesla's built-in streaming apps).