Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thumbs_up_140910.jpg

I hope the production i3 looks a lot like the concept. And the price isn't too far off from the Leaf.

Is that real carbon fibers, or just something you ordered from the internets? (You have to listen to the video Doug posted earlier to get that joke).

As for looks, Concept Cars like:
chevy_volt_concept_3_med1.jpg

end up being production cars like:
ldvolt.jpg

Besides, in 2013 people are going to scoff at an 80 mile range. My prediction is the BMW i3 will not make it to the US market, at least not without an ICE.

Sure concepts get toned down (I doubt it will be that much of a fish bowl), but seems to me BMW is making a more honest effort than Daimler is at this point (Tesla investment notwithstanding). More entries in the marketplace (both pure EV and plug-in hybrid) from companies that can actually deliver are welcome.

Umm... Bad example... Your "production car" photos is of a drivetrain "mule" based on the Chevy Cruze, not the production Volt.

Sorry about that. But, my mistake was because the Cruze looks more like the real Volt than the Volt Concept looks like the real Volt.

And while I completely agree with Doug that more companies producing EV and hybrid-EV vehicles is good, I don't get the i3 at all given its timeframe. More EVs with a limited range only reinforce the notion that EVs aren't practical for most people.

Nah can't be that high. They've reported today that the range is 80-100 miles, which is the same as the Leaf and the BMW is supposed to be much lighter.

Every day something new; but on Friday it seems that BMW actually gave out some info. More detailed information in the press:

BMW has not priced the models nor has it divulged a rollout schedule beyond the 2013 launch, in Germany first, of the featherweight i3 city car, which has a curb weight of 2,750 pounds. The i3 uses an approximately 22-kilowatt-hour battery and a BMW-designed electric motor to deliver a range of up to 150 kilometers (93 miles) on a single charge. The company says the electric-drive system will enable the i3 to achieve 0-62 mph acceleration in just under 8 seconds. The model is said to have a top speed of 93 mph.

And the i8 sounds like a souped-up Prius:

The i8 will use a direct-injected, turbocharged high-performance 3-cyclinger gasoline engine to drive the rear wheels and a BMW elector motor, powered from an approximately 8-kWh rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack, to power the front wheels and will be able to deliver up to 35 kilometers (21.7 miles) of all-electric drive. It will have three modes: all-electric, gasoline only, and combination. BMW says the plug-in hybrid i8 will deliver more than 100 mpg on the European cycle and will boast acceleration speeds of under 5 seconds for a 0-62 mph sprint and will have a top speed of 155 mph.

Having had a lot of fun driving my M5 a few years back, these cars look interesting but sound rather disappointing.

I like the looks of the i3 and the whole cfrp thing, but it really seems like too little, too late.
For 10 grand more you can get the Tesla S with more range, better performance and more seats. i know it's not a direct competitor but still...

On top of that, the Bimmer's numbers aren't any better than the Leaf's and a lot more pricey. I expect the handling might be better but still.

There are quite a few people who are:
1) put off because the Leaf is fugley
2) put off because its name and image is wimpy
3) put off because it is a Nissan
BMW gets the 3rd one by default, and could easily improve on the first 2, and charge a premium to do so.