Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What, no frunk in an electric car?
Pathetic.

Well, it is not really an electric car - is it? :)

Having said that, what an odd design decision on the part of the i8 engineers - to have just a tiny trunk in the back with the ICE (where anything you haul gets extra hot), yet not offer a frunk. Judging by those pictures, there would seem to have been some opportunity for a frunk space-wise, but it went unused for whatever reason?

I'd call 210 km/h close enough to 220, but that's just me. :biggrin: That being said, I've never driven outside of North America and never beyond 100 mph, so I'll leave it for others to judge what top speed you need to satisfy the needs of the majority of Autobahn drivers.

Not a top speed issue (at least for me), it's a range issue. The amount of energy used at Autobahn speeds is enormous so the recharge frequency is the problem from my perspective.

@Realist: I'm very interested to know, if you have experience enough yet to answer, how much range you get at your typical high autobahn speed with at fully charged and fully fueled i8???

According to bmw.com there is an optional equipment 'Large fuel tank', did you get that? I was unable to find a definitive answer to the tank size, one site said "10.5-gallon" tank but didn't specify if it was US or Imperial gallons and, as I mentioned, it seems there are two tank sizes available as options?

According to my data I average between 11,5-12l/100km at very high speed above 200. So with the battery range that is close to 400km.

That is simply amazing! It would suggest an extremely high efficiency of the engine/drivetrain and/or extremely good aerodynamics. I'll do some calculations when I get home but... Wow... Are you sure though that the numbers are correct?

The main difference is the electric motor still assisting at that speed with its 2-speed gearbox. Therefore it's always in its optimal efficiency band. Furthermore I have the small ultra low resistance tires.

There is of course a big difference between cruising at 200 and going full throttle. But the car will stop you at 250 anyway. Without the limiter 270 should be possible.

The main difference is the electric motor still assisting at that speed with its 2-speed gearbox. Therefore it's always in its optimal efficiency band. Furthermore I have the small ultra low resistance tires.

There is of course a big difference between cruising at 200 and going full throttle. But the car will stop you at 250 anyway. Without the limiter 270 should be possible.

Do you have full acceleration and top speed the entire 400km? I'm still surprised you bought this car. You've gone on and on for over a year about the drawbacks of the Model S on the autobahn and how expensive it is. And how it can't be taken to the track at full speed. You bought a car that costs as much as a Supercar but even you said doesn't perform like one. It is a cool looking car so I guess that was your primary consideration.