Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Body shop repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi ,

My Tesla model 3's back bumper got scratched. I went to a Tesla approved body shop and got quoted for around $2k to get the whole bumper repainted. Do you guys think it is reasonable amount? Do you think it is risky to go to other non Tesla approved shop to get it painted cheaper?

Is the 2k just for the paint? Did they say anything about replacing the foam underneath or anything else?

2k for just a bumper respray does seems high. And if it is indeed just a respray, any body shop can do that, no need to go to Tesla. And if you take it off yourself and bring it in, odds are it will be significantly cheaper.

Reactions: corlaandstan
Yes just for respray and will take 3 coats. It seems the quote charges a lot of money for taking the bumper off and reinstalling etc. It also says need to take off the lamp and reinstall for some odd reason. Labour costs for these steps are very high.

Get a quote from Jay's Auto Collision in Etobicoke (416-503-0041). They do awesome work (paint a ton of Tesla's for Shift Motors in Burlington - they specialize in used Tesla's). I have personally had them touch up my S and a previous ICE car. Amazing quality and very reasonable prices. They charge $450 per panel (one of my doors needed a touch up). I think $2K is high for one panel.

Ask for Paul - he's the shop supervisor. Tell him Hameed recommended them (I had my Lexus GS400 repaired there and my silver Model S door touched up - he'll remember me)

Reactions: M109Rider
Get a quote from Jay's Auto Collision in Etobicoke (416-503-0041). They do awesome work (paint a ton of Tesla's for Shift Motors in Burlington - they specialize in used Tesla's). I have personally had them touch up my S and a previous ICE car. Amazing quality and very reasonable prices. They charge $450 per panel (one of my doors needed a touch up). I think $2K is high for one panel.

Ask for Paul - he's the shop supervisor. Tell him Hameed recommended them (I had my Lexus GS400 repaired there and my silver Model S door touched up - he'll remember me)

By touch up, did they actually respray the whole panel?

I have to disagree unfortunately. I had a situation a few years ago where I was rear ended up the Gardiner very close to the shop so the tow truck dropped it off there. A few months after repairs (covered by insurance) I started having paint issues and my tail lights that were replaced were peeling. Long story short, they put in shoddy materials but billed insurance full price.

I have to disagree unfortunately. I had a situation a few years ago where I was rear ended up the Gardiner very close to the shop so the tow truck dropped it off there. A few months after repairs (covered by insurance) I started having paint issues and my tail lights that were replaced were peeling. Long story short, they put in shoddy materials but billed insurance full price.
Sorry to hear that. Did you call them up and discuss this with them?

Hi ,

My Tesla model 3's back bumper got scratched. I went to a Tesla approved body shop and got quoted for around $2k to get the whole bumper repainted. Do you guys think it is reasonable amount? Do you think it is risky to go to other non Tesla approved shop to get it painted cheaper?
What colour is your model 3? You mentioned later it's a 3 coat process, so I'm assuming you either have pearl white or red. Both are multi coat paints and those are expensive to paint and typically need to blend the paint into adjacent panels (if the shop is doing it properly). 2k is in line with what I've seen other back bumper repaint/blend jobs quoted at for tesla approved shops. It doesn't need to be that high, but that's the going rate... good luck.

What colour is your model 3? You mentioned later it's a 3 coat process, so I'm assuming you either have pearl white or red. Both are multi coat paints and those are expensive to paint and typically need to blend the paint into adjacent panels (if the shop is doing it properly). 2k is in line with what I've seen other back bumper repaint/blend jobs quoted at for tesla approved shops. It doesn't need to be that high, but that's the going rate... good luck.

Have to add in here as we had a respray & bump-out/smooth to the rear bumper of our red multicoat TM3 in the summer at an all female shop in Oakville. Did a fantastic job for $360.00. Call Hilliary at Ink N Iron Auto. 647-821-0755. Speers & Dorval area. Some of the "approved" shops seem to have added a Tesla magnifier for all us "millionaires".

• Informative
Reactions: menaknow and pcons