Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bodywork Price Gouging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, imagine that. Tesla giving out different stories to people who ask the same questions... ;-)

I specifically asked. The answer was very vague. "The bumper is painted by Tesla." I asked for very specific details, as in, where, physically is this part painted by Tesla. That's when I was told the above. I'm not at all surprised that you were told differently.
I asked the same thing and was told specifically that the Model 3 front and rear bumper covers only were factory painted. Everything else would be painted in house or at a satellite location.

I'm not sure a Tesla painted bumper is better than body shop painted, given all the paint issues we've read about. FYI Tesla charges $350 for an unpainted bumper and $250 for a front quarter panel.
Most bodyshop use "less expensive" paints and a totally different painting method which can result in fading differences over time and paint delamination if a quality paint is not used. We plan on keeping the car for a long time so a factory painted part is desirable for us.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I asked the same thing and was told specifically that the Model 3 front and rear bumper covers only were factory painted. Everything else would be painted in house or at a satellite location.

Ah hah! You probably heard correctly afterall! I sent an email asking WTF my bumper was (after 3 weeks), and this is what I got back:

"At this time, we had a shift in policies of painted bumpers. Pre-painted bumpers became available from our parts distribution center out of California. We had moved forward with ordering a pre-painted bumper. We are currently waiting for the bumper to be shipped from California."

Too bad this puts me back in the waiting phase... *sigh*

Ah hah! You probably heard correctly afterall! I sent an email asking WTF my bumper was (after 3 weeks), and this is what I got back:

"At this time, we had a shift in policies of painted bumpers. Pre-painted bumpers became available from our parts distribution center out of California. We had moved forward with ordering a pre-painted bumper. We are currently waiting for the bumper to be shipped from California."

Too bad this puts me back in the waiting phase... *sigh*
If it's any consolation, the pre-painted bumper matched the car perfectly.