Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bolt slow quick charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at a Chademo station earlier and a Bolt was plugged in. Dang that thing is SLOW to charge.

No idea what he started out with but the screen read 55 min and he was only at 72%. He was also only pulling 62 amps. That is WAY slower than any Tesla charges. If Chevy wants to make a real world (mass market) EV then they really need to step up those charge rates.

• Informative
Reactions: Icer
The Bolt has a low max charge rate and and aggressive taper. From 0% to 50% SOC they top out at 40-45kW (I think it's 50kW on paper but I don't think I've seen anyone report actually hitting that) The charge rate drops off about 20% at 50% SOC. At 70% it drops even further - another 30%-40%. There is yet another significant drop just after 80%.

I was on the verge ordering a Bolt before I got a chance to configure a Model 3 and I was resigned to not bothering with road trips as even "fast" charging was going to have me spending twice as much time charging as driving.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: apacheguy
Yeah,so much for that 80 kW rumor.

I just asked on Twitter how the Bolt/Ampera-E charges at a 170 kW charger and the CTO of a fast charging operator (Fastned) told me that under ideal battery temperatures, the car charges 20% faster than at a 50 kW charger peaking at 55 kW at 55%. After that tapering kicks in and there is no advantage over a 50 kW charger.