Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow charging woes at home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Team, im having a major issue tonight, my car is charging in my garage, bone chilling temps outside 20 degrees.

I normally 48amp charging on my EnelX Juicebox 48. Temps outside is 20 degrees I& on my uninsulated garage is 35 degrees. I’m only charging a slow 12 amps. I’ve reset my circuit breaker , no load on my 200 amp switch.

As I reset the circuit breaker, it just to 48 amps on a dedicated 60 amp switch and 2 min later back down to 12 amps. What is going on????

I’ve scheduled an appointment on Thursday night, will Tesla give me a loaner car since my appointment is at 4pm?

When I unplug the ca, it shows 48 amps charge rate. when the plug in the car, it’s only charging at 12 amps?

This is the first time I’m having this issue with the 23 MYLR.

See pics of attachment

Attachments

• IMG_7080.png
    IMG_7080.png
    402.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_7077.jpeg
    IMG_7077.jpeg
    413.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7079.jpeg
    IMG_7079.jpeg
    261.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7078.jpeg
    IMG_7078.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 44
Most likely the battery is cold, due to the temps (assuming this was after sitting for a while).
Leave it charging and I expect it will speed up after the battery gets warmer due to the charging.
If there is a ‘real’ issue, you should see an error message on the car screen, telling you why the rate is reduced ( sometimes a cheap wall plug might overheat for instance and the car adjusts for safety - I doubt that is the case here)

Reactions: brkaus
Most likely the battery is cold, due to the temps (assuming this was after sitting for a while).
Leave it charging and I expect it will speed up after the battery gets warmer due to the charging.
If there is a ‘real’ issue, you should see an error message on the car screen, telling you why the rate is reduced ( sometimes a cheap wall plug might overheat for instance and the car adjusts for safety - I doubt that is the case here)
Nope it was chargedd last night at 48 amps and it worked fine. I have another 23MYLR being weathered for 3 days in the ice cold temp and that one I just plugged in right now so my spouse can take the car in the morning. Ans that is right now charging at 24 amps.

Hi Team, im having a major issue tonight, my car is charging in my garage, bone chilling temps outside 20 degrees.

I normally 48amp charging on my EnelX Juicebox 48. Temps outside is 20 degrees I& on my uninsulated garage is 35 degrees. I’m only charging a slow 12 amps. I’ve reset my circuit breaker , no load on my 200 amp switch.

As I reset the circuit breaker, it just to 48 amps on a dedicated 60 amp switch and 2 min later back down to 12 amps. What is going on????

I’ve scheduled an appointment on Thursday night, will Tesla give me a loaner car since my appointment is at 4pm?

When I unplug the ca, it shows 48 amps charge rate. when the plug in the car, it’s only charging at 12 amps?

This is the first time I’m having this issue with the 23 MYLR.

See pics of attachment
I would try navigating to a supercharger and plug in to see how your vehicle charges there. it was 14 degrees outside here last midnight and I had no problem charging @48amps in my garage with the Gen 3 Tesla charger.

I would try navigating to a supercharger and plug in to see how your vehicle charges there. it was 14 degrees outside here last midnight and I had no problem charging @48amps in my garage with the Gen 3 Tesla charger.
Supercharging is so radically different that it is not a very useful troubleshooting step for something like this. It skips the AC charger in the car that regular charging uses. Better would be trying a different Juicebox or other connector, or having another car try that Juicebox.

As Dave Will said, it's the Juicebox. Since the car is showing 12A/12A, the car thinks the Juicebox is telling it max charge is 12A. I suspect the circuit inside the Juicebox that creates the waveform isn't up to spec in cold weather.

I’ve tried my new replaced juicebox48 that was outside the garage this morning and charged full at 48 amps. I called support for the juicebox last night and they said they see 48amps set for my charger but they thought it was the car when plugged in drops to 12 amps, I’ll call them tonight and let them know the problem could be the charger or I’ll have to do a hard reset on the switch panel and try plugging it in after an 20 min or so and see if the hard reset would correct the situation.

I’ve tried my new replaced juicebox48 that was outside the garage this morning and charged full at 48 amps. I called support for the juicebox last night and they said they see 48amps set for my charger but they thought it was the car when plugged in drops to 12 amps, I’ll call them tonight and let them know the problem could be the charger or I’ll have to do a hard reset on the switch panel and try plugging it in after an 20 min or so and see if the hard reset would correct the situation.

Look, the car is reporting that the Juicebox is telling it 12A. So, yea, maybe the car's electronics for interpreting the waveform of the J1772 protocol is off a little bit, but I highly doubt it, given the car can interpret the other Juicebox's waveform output just fine (for some unknown reason, J1772 uses an analog protocol to send digital information from the EVSE to the car, almost as if the designers of J1772 didn't know anything about digital circuits).

It's the Juicebox sending a slightly out of spec waveform to the car.

To eliminate the car try charging using a Tesla Wall connector.

You didn't think to tell us you were load sharing???? Oy vey.
It should not matter if I’m load sharing, the load sharing is not working nor it being recognized by EnelX at the moment. I’m able to charge 1 car at default from 48 amps to 12 amps and the second charging unit that was replaced is running at full 47 amps. They are suppose to communicate with each other since they are on the same line . I’m running 60 amps on a 60 amps switch. I have not started to use the Tesla app to charge the cars at different time to avoid the overloading on the switch.

Since it's showing 12/12a, it was the Juicebox that throttled back to 12a, not the car. If it had been the car, it would say 12/48a. I don't know the JB well enough to know why it might do that.
If the traction battery were cold enough the car could display 12/48a or 7/48a etc.. with part or all of the 12a/7a of energy going towards battery heating. If the miles/hr onscreen display is lower than charging at 48a normally displays, then part of the amps drawn from the wall is warming the traction battery with the remainder charging it. But I agree in this case it's probably the Juicebox.