Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow charging woes at home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the traction battery were cold enough the car could display 12/48a or 7/48a etc.. with part or all of the 12a/7a of energy going towards battery heating. If the miles/hr onscreen display is lower than charging at 48a normally displays, then part of the amps drawn from the wall is warming the traction battery with the remainder charging it. But I agree in this case it's probably the Juicebox.
I’m not having this issue with the outside charger, it seems more of the charger issue in my garage.

When I unplug the ca, it shows 48 amps charge rate. when the plug in the car, it’s only charging at 12 amps?
The fact that the car shows 48A when unplugged doesn't mean anything other than that you have not manually reduced the charge current at that location. "12/12A" means the car is drawing 12 amps (the first number) out of 12 amps available (the second number).

The two numbers will usually be equal. The only time the first number (actual draw) will be less than the second number (available charge current) is if the battery can't take the full amount (it's cold or nearly full) or you have manually reduced the maximum the car can draw at that location (reduced settings are geo-tagged to a particular location).

I’m not having this issue with the outside charger, it seems more of the charger issue in my garage.
Your outside juicebox is offering 48A and your car is taking all of it (48/48A). The inside juicebox is only offering 12A and your car is, again, taking all of it (12/12A). The problem is 100% with the inside juicebox.

It sounds like you are participating in Enel X's demand response charging program. They would control your charge rate by remotely controlling the juicebox to reduce the current of offers (the number after the slash) or stop charging altogther.

As I reset the circuit breaker, it just to 48 amps on a dedicated 60 amp switch and 2 min later back down to 12 amps. What is going on????
Is this juicebox connected to your wifi? This sounds to me like the juicebox powers up to 48A by default after reset, but then Enel X remotely drops it to 12A once it establishes connection via wifi.

Shut off all your wifi access points (or power off your cable modem/router/ONT/whatever) so Enel X can't access the juicebox remotely (hopefully it doesn't have a cell connection) and power cycle the juicebox. If the car charges at 48A, then drops to 12A when you re-enable wifi, you've identified the problem - Enel X is remotely dialing back the charge rate to 12A. You will need to ask them why.

I’ve scheduled an appointment on Thursday night, will Tesla give me a loaner car since my appointment is at 4pm?
There's probably no need for service; you've already proven there is nothing wrong with the car (based on the fact it pulls 48A from the outside unit).

It seems like you either have a defective juicebox or something is wrong with Enel X's remote control. I doubt anyone here can help debug it any further. You will need to work with Enel X support to figure out why it is only offering 12A.

After multiple test performed by the Enelx team, they have determined the charger is not responding to it software. The tech support team has decided to send me a replacement unit. It’s a PIA if you ask me , now I need to shell out another $250 for electrician to hardwire the replacement unit.

Reactions: davewill
After multiple test performed by the Enelx team, they have determined the charger is not responding to it software. The tech support team has decided to send me a replacement unit. It’s a PIA if you ask me , now I need to shell out another $250 for electrician to hardwire the replacement unit.
I would’ve thought they’d be responsible for reimbursing you for (re)installation fees, since it was their product that failed.

As long as you need to pay an electrician, why not purchase a Tesla Wall Charger and have the electrician install it and sell the replacement one?