Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bolt vs Model 3 Comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This article must be written by GM or someone shorting Tesla stock, completely biased:
Tesla Model 3 vs. Chevrolet Bolt: Battle of the long-range EVs

1. Tech- He totally downplays Autopilot, no mention of Over-The-Air updates or supercharging and claims Bolt tech is better... really??!!

2. Design- Tesla interior likely isn't finished lets see how it compares in the next conference. Would be nice to compare interior passenger space (I think Tesla may win here) and cargo capacity (maybe the bolt wins due to hatchback)

3. What about safety? We all know the Tesla Model 3 will likely be the safest car on the road again in every test just like the S and X

4. Coefficient of Drag - Not enough info yet but I'm guessing the Tesla is more aerodynamic with lower COD for better range with base model

5. Pricing/Options: He stresses that the average Model 3 will likely be more cost than the Bolt due to options (Elon said about 42k average); well none of these will even BE an option on the Bolt!
A) Battery upgrade for likely 300+ mile range
B) Autopilot (still no other cars that come close to tesla and it likely will be next gen autopilot features)
C) Performance upgrades that compete with comparable priced (50k+) performance cars that are a higher category than the bolt so the higher optioned Model 3 skews the average Elon mentioned and is irrelevant to the base price comparison.

A picture is worth 1000 words. I rest my case!
MVIMG_20171118_115741.jpg

There are a few other cars....Cadillac, Audi come to mind that have driver assist systems that are as good if not better than current Tesla AP HW and SW.

Also, the Bolt is available NOW and can be had for at least $5K off MSRP, ~$37K before tax incentives, and Android Auto and Carplay works in that thing. Regarding OTA....if the SW is good...why update. But..I have no issues taking the car to the dealership for an update.

With all that said....As a non-owner, in-line waiter reservation holder...I couldn't bring myself to complete the Bolt transaction a few weeks ago after test driving the thing. I figure I would regret not completing the Mod 3 buy because i waited almost 2 years for the thing and couldn't wait a few more months. If I didn't have a Model 3 reservation.....heck yeah I would have bought the Bolt!

• Informative
Reactions: kablammyman