Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boot Loader Corruption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had this happen today after attempting to update to 40.4. The car would stick at 30 % for hours. After letting it sit all night and most of the morning, I tired rebooting and power cycling if a few times. The X would not go into drive. My guess is the car still thought it was being updated and locked out the drive train.

Called Tesla and they sent over a flatbed to tow it to service. One problem since it would not go into drive and the tow feature would not work, the tow truck driver wanted to use the go jacks on the rear wheels and drag it.

No way i was going to allow that, so after an hour of reboot and power cycling , it finally was able to go into drive. Tow guy drove it onto the bed and went to service.

While there they tried to install 36.11 but that failed and they finally told me the boot laoder was corrupted. Luckily I was home and the X in the driveway so no rush and was finally able to get it into drive without dragging. Tow driver said he resetted the IC , not sure if that was coincidence or if that did the trick or if it was the 10 reboots and power cycle?

Any other suggestions for next time? Pull the 12V? Was going to try that but got it going .

Attachments

• 7CA4C3D4-039F-4355-8909-7F6089AA8E87.jpeg
    7CA4C3D4-039F-4355-8909-7F6089AA8E87.jpeg
    608.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 8C7893F6-2B84-4F92-AE65-EBF972971FD3.jpeg
    8C7893F6-2B84-4F92-AE65-EBF972971FD3.jpeg
    314.5 KB · Views: 58
Such problems should not arise without some HW malfunction. It could be some bad bloc in flash or some bad connectors.
The letter being less probable as computer could/should detect and report such errors.
There should not be the next time, service should replace the malfunctioning part.

There is also a nonzero probability of a software bug with this or previous FW that caused the problem.
Unfortunately, one cannot give a general solution how to circumvent such bugs as they will change.

Tow driver said he resetted the IC

He did what?