Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Booting up car takes longer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow! How old and miles on it? I guess your talking me into extended warranty!

Ours was built in 2016 near the end of the year because it has AP2. It was an inventory model though so we didn't design it so I'm not entirely sure when in 2016 it was built outside of after AP2 was brought out.

The thing is the issue I'm seeing we've been seeing since we had it. Which is the MCU not coming back on. Not just it taking a while to boot up. The car itself would boot up and allow me to drive after a bit, but the MCU would be hosed until I rebooted it. But it was very random. I'm not joking when I said it would happen once a quarter. About every 3 months the MCU would go out. Most recently it was July 2018, October 2018, then January 2019. When it first happened in 2017 I called the Service Center and they told me that if it comes back on after a reboot it should be fine. So for the first year I'd just reboot it without thinking about it. Then after realizing it happened pretty consistently once every 3 months I called the Service Center again after doing some research and hearing about some of the older MCU going out or failing. They said that they couldn't see anything from the logs but if the reboot makes it come back up then it should be fine. Before October it always happened whenever the car was not charging. Once it started interrupting the charging I made an appointment specifically for the issue. Since I made the appointment when the car had 48,000 miles they were willing to replace it even though now it's past 50k because I had brought up the issue before the warranty was up. This is why I go back to making sure you document everything. Sadly my phone calls with the service center weren't documented but the appointments were. We went back and forth on the extended warranty. Make sure you read through all of it because I thought I had read it doesn't cover everything and you must do the annual services or else it's void.

I just had this happen with V8. This is the first time this has happened on my 2015 MS. I didn't drive the car in this state. About 3 hours later I came back and the center screen was still dark. A scroll-wheel reboot did the trick.
The car sat for a week or more without driving, plugged in to a normal 120V wall outlet. We had had a several-hour power failure the day before, but I don't know if that's related.

My car died today and needed to be towed to service center.

First problem I noticed was airbag light. I powered off car and then received the following alerts. The car would not shift into drive or reverse. View attachment 369719

i got my car back yesterday (8 days to repair) and have not seen the systems are powering up message again yet. I will keep an eye on it and report back if it reappears. This repair also fixed the issue I had with the button on my umc not opening the charger door or interrupting the charge when needed

Here is what the invoice said:

Customer stated that all screens are blank. Alerts include Car needs service/ steering assist reduced.

Upon inspection, verified customer's concern. Found the steering reduced alert to be present. Removed the steering column control module and found a loose connection. Re-secured connection, updated firmware and road tested, verified the vehicle's steering is now working as designed with no more alerts present at this time.

Correction: Upper Column, Steering Wheel, and Steering Lock General Diagnosis

• Informative
Reactions: BridgeMojo
So a few weeks ago I contacted Tesla through the chat to see if I could get a different answer than what's been stated before. Unfortunately, their advice was to reset the trip logs and the nav destinations in history (same advice as before). I did delete a number of the previous nav destinations and reset one of the trip counters. No luck. I'm going to try the other trip counter (I will miss having my lifetime stats) and see if that helps.

However, one of the items the rep mentioned that was interesting was about the cause. She said that the reason this issue occurs is because some data in either the Nav or the trip logs becomes corrupted and the car takes a longer time to start as it tries (unsuccessfully) to rectify the issue. Don't know how true this is, and obviously is a bug that should be fixed, but at least it would explain why some cars have issues and others don't and why resetting those items might help.

• Informative
Reactions: bnsfengineer
2016 Model S 90D. It doesn't happen every time, but recently, getting into the car and putting my foot on the brake preparatory to hitting the road I'm treating to a message that the system is starting up -- and it lasts a long time. It's not the first time I've seen this message, but it's taking much longer than previously. With all the updates (some of which make me grind my Tesla-teeth) of late, I'm wondering if someone else A) has this problem or B) knows what to do about it, if anything. Thanks.

2016 90D as well and JUST started experiencing what ya'll have described on this thread; if anyone found a fix for the much delayed start, please hit me up, [email protected]; it sounds random, but I did find opening/closing the rear hatch and/or opening/closing my door moves things along to be able to move to D from P...

It is totally random. After a month out of town, the car started right up. A few days later, ran into the store for one item, came back less than ten minutes later and the car had to go through the "booting up" song and dance. If there's a solution to this, I haven't seen or been told about it. I'm grudgingly going along with most of the little quirks and irritations, things that don't function as promised, because basically I like the car and love driving it. It's the "my car died today," posts that make my blood run cold.