Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boring Company

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fire regulations may limit it to ~1,200 per hour.

How about they already did over 4,000 per hour. Keep the articles from last year where they belong, in the past.

1622266299101.png

• Disagree
Reactions: Dan D.

Emphasis added is mine - is this correct? There are only 11 vehicles approved so far for the LVCC Loop?
I don't know what that FUD is about, they used over 60 vehicles in the test the other day. Maybe when they say 11 vehicles they mean like 11 make model combinations (Tesla Model 3, Telsa Model Y, Tesla Model X would be 3).

But they can use dozens of Model Ys to make the 60+ vehicles they did use.

How about they already did over 4,000 per hour. Keep the articles from last year where they belong, in the past.

View attachment 667500
I presume they managed to skirt the fire regulations by just having the same number of people on the platforms getting in and out of cars for a given duration of time, which is what one story says "most testers went for anywhere between seven to 12 rides". The fire regulations were restricting the number of people moving through the entire station system. If you just have 30-ish people on each platform continually getting in a car then you can give the appearance of a high number of trips. That is not where the restriction lies. Doing this in reality would not be allowed if you had unique passengers for each trip.

But good for them for demonstrating that they could meet a target number of theoretical trips. If they are truly restricted to 11 cars (not sure if that's a true report), then that will be a major problem. From the linked report it might be what the Fire guy said, something about 11 cars being a manageable number, it could be just his opinion.

It would be a better test to run actual numbers of people entering and leaving the entire station system via the escalator/entrances and see what the real throughput would be. Perhaps they'll do that next, or just leave it at the fudged test to show they 'can do it'. Hopefully they'll do the real test.

The reporting is a bit suspect. They show a video of a car hitting 116mph that isn't even from the Vegas tunnel.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkandStormy

View attachment 667500

Ah, yes, the CEO of the LVCVA...surely has no reason to keep himself from looking like a fool for signing that contract...tweeting out they hit the passenger goal in testing without providing evidence...surely no conflicts there!

Ah, yes, the CEO of the LVCVA...surely has no reason to keep himself from looking like a fool for signing that contract...tweeting out they hit the passenger goal in testing without providing evidence...surely no conflicts there!
@SHillforVegas
Is that who Steve Hill is? Well that makes sense then that he's pleased with the Boring Company's test results. Shill For Vegas indeed, what a great username!

I hope he's not really approving the rigged test as proof of delivering 4,400pph. This was a nice test but it was no reflection of reality. All the participants had repeated attempts to ride the cars, improving their speed at entering, attaching seatbelts, exiting and pre-deciding which seat to take. It was a structured attempt to game the test. By the looks of it they succeeded, somewhere in the hour of testing they achieved peak 4,400pph. Doesn't say for how long they achieved that number, but at least once.

Somewhere in-between the FUD and the hype is the truth. I see this like the people going on the first Jurassic Park ride-along. Looks flashy, actually somewhat underwhelming, hugely design-flawed, and ultimately disastrous. Lets hope they fix the flaws.

It’s a conversation piece, and the P.R. value of the buzz has already surpassed what it cost to build the Vegas Loop. For example, we’re talking about it on our site, and that has an estimated value of infinity dollars.

At least they admit the goal is not to transport people efficiently lmao

One of my concerns with the Boring Company concept for the LV Convention Center is the heat. Two stations are outside and exposed to the 105 degree summer. Lineups of anything over 5 minutes are gonna be a problem, what if the wait time is 15-30+ minutes? People just will not go out in that temperature and stand there waiting for a car. Too bad the waiting areas aren't enclosed and air conditioned, but maybe using a booking system they can somehow ensure that you have a car ready for you to dash out from the comfort of the convention building.

I just can't see most conventioneers walking outside the building, waiting for x minutes, getting shuttled to the other station and then walking back inside the building. It's just too slow and inconvenient. If there are 200,000 people for the big shows wanting to be shuttled around there is no way this thing is going to be adequate. During shows people move in mass groups, not 73 people per minute (4400 people per hour).

The Dopplemayr cable car might have been better, it could be boarded from a transfer station inside the center. I haven't seen their proposal though.

The Boring Company system could be used for the short-term but earmarked just as part of the Las Vegas Loop in the future. The Convention Center should go ahead and build another Dopplemayr shuttle that has a higher capacity.

Interesting that the LVCC website says "The system is designed to transport up to 4,400 convention attendees per hour, per direction". I thought it was 4400 total, they are suggesting it's 8800?

The first conference is set to open on June 7-10th, the World of Concrete 2021. There should be a lot of interest in that group to travel in the tunnels. Looks like they have exhibits in the West and North halls and some of the outside lots. Good opportunities for transiting through the three stations.

If they can keep the station platforms at low occupancy levels and not permit crowding it could work out ok. Sort of a just-in-time passenger system. May have to create a lineup location away from the station if crowding starts happening.

Have some helpful boarding tip displays in the boarding line to smooth out the loading process and improve efficiency. Should be a good test, I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Interesting that the newer machines are using smaller and smaller tunnel sizes. The OG test tunnel on Godot was 4.25m, then most of the rest on Godot+ and Prufrock at 4.18m, and then Prufrock+ at 4.12m
May be because the final version of the Cyber Truck get a reduced size?

Possible reason:
For soft ground boring, the stack up is:
Inner wall surface
Wall thickness
Outer wall surface
Grout
Bored hole

Optimizing the wall thickness, and tolerance between outer wall and the excavation would result in less digging, but the same internal size with possibly less grout needed.
In terms of excavated material:
In terms of cross section, 4.25 m to 4.12m is a 0.85m^2 reduction or 6%. Over a 1km tunnel, that is 850 m^3 less material to remove.
In English units, it's about 1,800 cu yards less material per mile.
If this were purely due to grout gap reduction, then that is also 1,800 cu yards less grount needed.

• Informative
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Where are they charging the vehicles?

Just guessing but looking at the map it'd make sense to charge them at

Las Vegas - The LINQ High Roller, NV
3993 Audrie St
Date Opened2019-07-19
Elevation2,087 ft
GPS36.11671, -115.168258
Hours24/7
Stalls24
Power250 kW
Solar CanopyYes
Battery StorageYes

I remember in one of the videos a driver saying they have to stop before they get down to 30% SOC for safety reasons. I'm sure you could get from LVCC to the supercharger on way less than that.

Just guessing but looking at the map it'd make sense to charge them at

Las Vegas - The LINQ High Roller, NV
3993 Audrie St
Date Opened2019-07-19
Elevation2,087 ft
GPS36.11671, -115.168258
Hours24/7
Stalls24
Power250 kW
Solar CanopyYes
Battery StorageYes

I remember in one of the videos a driver saying they have to stop before they get down to 30% SOC for safety reasons. I'm sure you could get from LVCC to the supercharger on way less than that.
That's what I was thinking too, the could go down to the LINQ chargers. I'm a Vegas local and rarely charge at that location as it's a clusterf*** to get to sometimes. Cheap parking and close to the LINQ alley there but meh beyond that. Anyways, I just wasn't sure if they had on-site charging or not. It's not like the cars are "labeled" so if I saw them at the LINQ I wouldn't even know.