Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Borrowing a Tesla Brand NEMA 10-30 Adapter for Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can make one easily and safely, but it is much preferred to pair it to your 14-30 so you never have to remember to dial down the amperages.

I don't believe anybody aftermarket has ever been able to create a TT-30 adapter, or anything compatible with it. I don't think either the Model S or Model X firmware is set up to handle TT-30.

I don't believe anybody aftermarket has ever been able to create a TT-30 adapter, or anything compatible with it. I don't think either the Model S or Model X firmware is set up to handle TT-30.

I made a TT-30 to 14-30 adapter from inexpensive TT-30 plug and 14-30 surface mount outlet purchased at Amazon. Total cost was about $30. It works great at campgrounds with my Tesla 14-30 adapter and UMC, charging at 24 Amps and 120 Volts.

GSP

• Informative
Reactions: CmdrThor

I made a TT-30 to 14-30 adapter from inexpensive TT-30 plug and 14-30 surface mount outlet purchased at Amazon. Total cost was about $30. It works great at campgrounds with my Tesla 14-30 adapter and UMC, charging at 24 Amps and 120 Volts.

GSP

I also have a TT-30 to 14-30 adapter and it works great. 24 amps at 120 volts, around 6-7 mph on our 90D X.

Well shoot, then what's this doing here......

IMG_20160505_093802.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and SoCalLawyer
Is this the one you used? I already ordered a Camco 14-50 receptacle to wire up to a TT-30, but I'd rather make it foolproof and wire the TT-30 to a 14-30.

What's the resistance value you had to use in the connector going to the Tesla? (i.e. How does the Model S/X know it's 30a?)
I cheated by doing the safest way possible. I have a TT-30 to 14-30 adapter so I use the Tesla 14-30 adapter on one end and the TT-30 plug on the other. Net result is the Tesla sees the adapter and dials to 30amps. And as we all know about the car, it could care less what the voltage is, it only cares about amps.

Such adapters won't work for Tesla charging. See http://cosmacelf.net/Home Made Adapters.pdf page 9.

It's easy to modify, I just got one myself. The trick is to find a suitable 14-30 receptacle, there don't seem to be any that mount to a cable end. I'll try the one shown above.
I used this style outlet which is usually stocked at Home Depot stores. It's obviously not waterproof like the pictured one up-thread, but I would likely use it inside a garage anyway.

NEMA 14-30 Surface Outlet.jpg