Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Both screens randomly rebooting since 2 months ago

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m going to schedule a service visit but wanted to ask here if anyone else has had this issue:
Over the past 2 months, my wife’s Model X has been randomly rebooting during driving and both screens black out and reboot after about a minute. Car drives ok but the turn signal does not work.
This has happened 8 times over the past 2 months, and twice today during a road trip on the highway.

v10.2 (2021.4.18.3)

Last edited:
I’m going to schedule a service visit but wanted to ask here if anyone else has had this issue:
Over the past 2 months, my wife’s Model X has been randomly rebooting during driving and both screens black out and reboot after about a minute. Car drives ok but the turn signal does not work.
This has happened 8 times over the past 2 months, and twice today during a road trip on the highway.
This happened to me yesterday for the first time. I'm on 2021.4.18.3

v10.2 (2021.4.18.3)
Actually, the turn signal probably works, but you can’t hear (or see) it until the sound system come back on line.

If you search here you'll find many comments about this. It is a known issue and has been happening to me since my MCU2 upgrade last October. About once or twice a month for me. Used to be while using Netflix, but now while driving. Sometimes after a few minutes into my trip, and other times after hours of driving. Very scary when on the highway and you don't have any feedback. Does not affect AutoPilot, but if you leave AP you have no idea what speed you are going. Best for everyone to keep complaining and hopefully it will be resolved in a future update. Report it through Bug Report and log with SC.

v10.2 (2021.4.18.3)
Similar issue ... reboot occurred two times over the past three days while driving

I had that happen last week and was towed to the St louis service center.the car locked up and screens went dead called roadside they could not connect to the car they ordered tow truck after 90 minutes called back said it would be 4 more hours for tow so i got a local tow compant and had it toed to St Louis. it was fixed for now they updated firmwear to 12.25.7 also a sd drive had to be reformated this was done from California they said it was a known issue and would be fixed for everyone in upcoming update . My x started doing it every 2 weeks or so but became more often until it craped out.

• Informative
Reactions: Shaz
I had that happen last week and was towed to the St louis service center.the car locked up and screens went dead called roadside they could not connect to the car they ordered tow truck after 90 minutes called back said it would be 4 more hours for tow so i got a local tow compant and had it toed to St Louis. it was fixed for now they updated firmwear to 12.25.7 also a sd drive had to be reformated this was done from California they said it was a known issue and would be fixed for everyone in upcoming update . My x started doing it every 2 weeks or so but became more often until it craped out.
Great info, can you tell me if you have MCU 1 or MCU 2?

This happened to me ever since I upgraded to MCU2. Got car back from service yesterday and what was fix is as follows.

Correction: SD Card - Media Control Unit (Reformat)
Correction: Firmware Update - Garage
Correction: Perform Validation Test Drive

This happened to me ever since I upgraded to MCU2. Got car back from service yesterday and what was fix is as follows.

Thanks. I see the SD - MCU reformat come up a few times... but haven't seen if that helped with the crashes. I have MCU1.

I did a little research, and I think the MCU reformat resets any bad/corrupt bits in the MCU.