Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a model 3 at auction and repaired it [2019]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was you able to look at Nav history to determine home, ect? That's very thoughtful of you.

Yes, there is other information I have but don’t wish to post. I could send them a letter I suppose but may take @Kuhz ’s advice and try one of those forums. The Tesla community is pretty tight. I give myself a 50/50 chance of bumping into the former owner online one way or another.

What is this thing? for reference, we’re looking at the front crash bar, with the bumper cover removed.

Looks like a plastic bracket, but to hold what??

0728C0B9-5355-48B4-AC0A-E194F590EBCA.jpeg

36D06D94-05A4-491D-A36A-A3C13A7D1520.jpeg

I think that's where the HomeLink transponder is mounted if your vehicle is equipped with it.

Thanks you. That makes sense.

Here are some updated pictures of the car.

Challenges roughly fall into three categories:
1. Body damage - mostly front.
2. SRS seat belt and air bag replacement/repair - involved taking apart most of the seats/seatbelts/air bags and dash.
3. Title and registration in California

Of these three, the last will probably end up being the most painful.

Funny, you can literally see an imprint of another vehicles license plate embedded into the rear bumper cover. Between the cheeseburger, fries, ketchup splatter pattern and rear bumper cover, it is like being CSI of an Tesla accident....

61ABB79C-F89E-41A8-BE7D-F3BC4006EA84.jpeg
CBF329C0-A159-4A9E-BD4D-E418437E80CB.jpeg
C255D9C9-B838-4BE8-BFFA-31188D3A5BB3.jpeg
D046AEB6-136F-4B35-9609-C267939881E0.jpeg
35F32D7B-125D-4579-9B03-9ED01D6DCB46.jpeg

Won't you find more issue getting Tesla to sing off on the cars repairs? Rich rebuilds has lots of issue with his S and being "black listed"

Not sure what you mean. They don’t have to sign off on anything, unless I want them to do work on the high voltage system, in which case I would have to pay for an inspection first. Their policy is to disable supercharging, but I haven’t tested that yet....

you mean Tesla might not release updates to this VIN?

now windshield and paint. Great work, what’s the end goal to use this car or to sell it?

The end game is to use the car as my primary commuter and replace my aging 06 Prius. Someday I’ll sell it, but it will be hard to part with this one as it has self-driving, which is a nice feature that I probably wouldn’t choose to buy. Only thing it doesn’t have that I would have wanted is dual motor. Maybe for the next rebuild....

Reactions: vickh and boriszima