Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a model 3 at auction and repaired it [2019]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wow does it also have Free SC?

Also curious what you paid for it?

No free supercharging. Pay per charge. What do you think of the photo? Is my car really ‘supercharging’? I’ve seen charge rates higher than the one I got for my car. Not sure if charge rate is dependent on the specific charger?

@jebinc - auction price was 19K. By the time you pay fees transportation etc., it was 22K.

As a random aside - man these cars are fast! I’ve never owned a vehicle like this before.

It is cliche at this point, but instant power and torque are incredible, and not something you fully appreciate until you’ve taken a drive for a while. It was like my mind was connected to the drive unit! Was painful to drive the M3, then come crashing back to earth by driving my ICE car.

So, the question has to be asked, keep or flip?
As a random aside - man these cars are fast! I’ve never owned a vehicle like this before.

It is cliche at this point, but instant power and torque are incredible, and not something you fully appreciate until you’ve taken a drive for a while. It was like my mind was connected to the drive unit! Was painful to drive the M3, then come crashing back to earth by driving my ICE car.

Yeah, my wife drive the 3 m-f, me Prius v, and the 3 on the weekends.

No free supercharging. Pay per charge. What do you think of the photo? Is my car really ‘supercharging’? I’ve seen charge rates higher than the one I got for my car. Not sure if charge rate is dependent on the specific charger?

At 37 kW you were definitely supercharging. The speed could be dependent on the charger if there was an issue or another car was plugged into one adjacent to you, but another factor is how full the battery is. You will get the max speeds on a warm battery between 10-40% or so. The speed will taper off as the battery reaches higher charge levels. If the battery wasn't warm enough, charge rate is also limited to preserve the battery's health.

• Helpful
Reactions: Margaritaboy
At 37 kW you were definitely supercharging. The speed could be dependent on the charger if there was an issue or another car was plugged into one adjacent to you, but another factor is how full the battery is. You will get the max speeds on a warm battery between 10-40% or so. The speed will taper off as the battery reaches higher charge levels. If the battery wasn't warm enough, charge rate is also limited to preserve the battery's health.
Good points. My highest charge speeds with a SR were 450mph+, but that tapers off quickly. Try to go when they're not crowded and find 150kW location.

I'm new to the forum but have been following you and others here for a while now - I recently got the itch for a model 3, ideally performance, but really have a hard time justifying the cost of a car that expensive. I can afford it, but it just seems silly when I could use that money for other things (rental properties, investments, etc)

I found a 2019 P3D stealth with FSD that ran through a store front, so front end (bumper, hood, fenders, mirror, windshield) the roof (glass) and general dings/scratches all around, so it'd need a fresh coat of paint. I can get this for around $28k all in and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it. I can wrench on cars and have done bumpers/fenders/etc and various bush-league repairs for years as a hobby but a little hesitant to pull the trigger on it - what are your thoughts?

When it’s all fixed up, what do you think is the resale value?

How much of your time to fix it? How valuable is your time when you could spend that time on things like rental properties?

What would the car cost used without any damage history with that many miles and fsd? How about without fsd since fsd is basically just a party trick today and not that valuable so why pay for it?

Answering those questions will answer your question.

I'm new to the forum but have been following you and others here for a while now - I recently got the itch for a model 3, ideally performance, but really have a hard time justifying the cost of a car that expensive. I can afford it, but it just seems silly when I could use that money for other things (rental properties, investments, etc)

I found a 2019 P3D stealth with FSD that ran through a store front, so front end (bumper, hood, fenders, mirror, windshield) the roof (glass) and general dings/scratches all around, so it'd need a fresh coat of paint. I can get this for around $28k all in and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it. I can wrench on cars and have done bumpers/fenders/etc and various bush-league repairs for years as a hobby but a little hesitant to pull the trigger on it - what are your thoughts?

When it’s all fixed up, what do you think is the resale value?

How much of your time to fix it? How valuable is your time when you could spend that time on things like rental properties?

What would the car cost used without any damage history with that many miles and fsd? How about without fsd since fsd is basically just a party trick today and not that valuable so why pay for it?

Answering those questions will answer your question.

Sure, the classic question of "what is your time worth?" which is so difficult to answer when you're doing something to either benefit yourself or as a hobby. I've spent countless hours on various home renovation projects over the past few years, and although it adds value do you really come out ahead? There's also the use/enjoyment factor that adds value as well. And as much as I love rental properties, the only thing I have now is a 3-unit and the market is so bloated right now the timing doesn't feel right to get another one (not to make that an excuse to go buy a car!)

So as far as resale I can't really answer that since it's tough to find rebuilt vehicles, particularly a performance 3. But I've seen some floating out there for around 35k (MR AWD here), and clean title P3D stealth here for around 50k used at the lowest.

I've talked to a few guys who have flipped/repaired some Model 3s and they estimate somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-8k for the repairs including a new coat of paint. So say things go sideways and add 20% contingency and I'm in it for 10k + 28k = 38k.

Reactions: Xambler
Sure, the classic question of "what is your time worth?" which is so difficult to answer when you're doing something to either benefit yourself or as a hobby. I've spent countless hours on various home renovation projects over the past few years, and although it adds value do you really come out ahead? There's also the use/enjoyment factor that adds value as well. And as much as I love rental properties, the only thing I have now is a 3-unit and the market is so bloated right now the timing doesn't feel right to get another one (not to make that an excuse to go buy a car!)

So as far as resale I can't really answer that since it's tough to find rebuilt vehicles, particularly a performance 3. But I've seen some floating out there for around 35k (MR AWD here), and clean title P3D stealth here for around 50k used at the lowest.

I've talked to a few guys who have flipped/repaired some Model 3s and they estimate somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-8k for the repairs including a new coat of paint. So say things go sideways and add 20% contingency and I'm in it for 10k + 28k = 38k.
I think a Tesla with a "Salvage" or other bonded title may drive the resale value lower than what you may put into it; therefore, if I were going to spend $38k, I would choose the used $35K LR AWD and add the $2000 Acceleration BOOST option and be in for $37k - and, no time spent chasing down parts and repairing the totaled Stealth. YMMV.

Reactions: anti

Good points. Forgot about the state of charge thing. I was already at 70% charge or so, and it was pretty cold out (at least by northern CA standards).

For the rest of the discussion: I don't think you save much by purchasing a salvage vehicle, either to rebuild or from a re-builder. You get lower re-sale value, and a car that isn't under warranty for anything, AND it may or may not have supercharging. Anything goes wrong, it could be expensive to troubleshoot and fix. If I were just interested in the car itself, I'd buy new or used with a clean title and enjoy a warranty etc.

Of course, for me and others on this forum it is also about the journey. Love the destination, but also loved picking the car apart and getting there little by little.

Done!

Before, during, and after photos.

ABDAB0DB-A6C2-4217-89C5-1C5D7952DA5E.jpeg

F7DE33DC-8078-4DE3-9717-3C88F8576C3B.jpeg
7524AECE-A24D-451D-9EAF-6776E3452F74.jpeg

BB2CCC10-EAAC-4BEC-88C0-EFE5A3F1CD5D.jpeg