Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a model Y, how does aftermarket wheels/tires work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
E07354A5-A0E9-48AE-9350-FFD84C6F598A.jpeg

Maybe is a silly question, how do you plan to keep the original wheels? :) Sell them where? LOL
Ideally, if can swap and pay the difference only in my local area would be great, but I don't know if there is one service or shop like that. I live in Fremont, Tesla headquarter :)

Maybe is a silly question, how do you plan to keep the original wheels? :) Sell them where? LOL
Ideally, if can swap and pay the difference only in my local area would be great, but I don't know if there is one service or shop like that. I live in Fremont, Tesla headquarter :)
keeping mine as I will probably need them for Snow tires in the future.

I noticed in previous pictures your car is or was vinyl wrapped. How much did you pay for that if you don't mind.
I had the exciting Bluetooth TPMS transferred over to the new wheels, not paying $75.00 a piece for them at Tesla, waiting for the aftermarket ones to come out. Full front Xpel PPF includes mirrors, for $1600.00 I have done work with them on my model 3 so they gave me a break. Normally around 1850.00

Was going to Oahu this week but waiting to see if Ige will lesson some of the travel restrictions. Maybe in March as I need to use up these Alaska Airlines credits.

Fred

Last edited:
The performance Y has the 21" staggered wheels (rear wheels/tires are wider than front). I wouldn't venture into 22" wheels/tires only because the ride comfort will suffer greatly. Some have expressed harsh ride feel even with 20" setup.

The only thing you need to lookout for is just making sure the TPMS sensors are transferred from your current set to the new wheels. Or you can purchase a new set of TPMS from Tesla for $75 a piece and keep your current setup as a spare.

Just as a reference, I am running a set of flow forged 20" wheels with 255/40/20 Pirelli P-Zero tires which are spec'd the same as OEM 20" setup. The ride quality isn't bad but it could be better. I will probably go to a 265/40/20 setup to give me some more side wall and width on the next set for better comfort.

Someone said that the tire needs to have a load rating of 104 XL. I am wondering how your tires work if your load rating is 101? Or am I reading how load rating works wrong?

It may tie back to the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) for the Model Y.

For the front the GAWR is 3005 lbs (for the whole front axle, split between the 2 front wheels/tires) for all Tesla offered wheel sizes (19", 20", 21")
For the rear the GAWR varies: 3607 lbs for the 19" wheels and the 3505 lbs for the 21" wheels but only 3307 lbs lbs for the 20" wheels.

If you check TireRack, for the Model Y with 19" wheels, the standard tire width/height ratio is 255/45 and the matching load index for the tires is 104 (1984 lbs) front and rear are the same size.

For the 20" wheels tire width/height ratio is 255/40 and the load index is 101 (1819 lbs); yes if you put 20" wheels on your Model Y, tire size 255/40-20, the correct load index would be 101. The minimum tire speed rating would be V (for Long Range Model Y) or a speed rating of W or Y (for the Performance Model Y.)

For the staggered F/R tires on the 21" wheels the front tires have a load index of 98 (1653 lbs) and the rear tires have a load index of 103 (1929 lbs). The front tires are narrower (255/35) than the rear tires (275/35) in this configuration.

Last edited:
The performance Y has the 21" staggered wheels (rear wheels/tires are wider than front). I wouldn't venture into 22" wheels/tires only because the ride comfort will suffer greatly. Some have expressed harsh ride feel even with 20" setup.

The only thing you need to lookout for is just making sure the TPMS sensors are transferred from your current set to the new wheels. Or you can purchase a new set of TPMS from Tesla for $75 a piece and keep your current setup as a spare.

Just as a reference, I am running a set of flow forged 20" wheels with 255/40/20 Pirelli P-Zero tires which are spec'd the same as OEM 20" setup. The ride quality isn't bad but it could be better. I will probably go to a 265/40/20 setup to give me some more side wall and width on the next set for better comfort.
So if I am looking at downsizing my MYP 21's, to a pair of 19 inch Martian wheels that come in 19 x 8.5" +35 or 19 x 9.5" +45 .... I assume the wider wheel would be better for maintaining acceleration speeds because it means more rubber on the road right? So choosing the 9.5" optin with a wider tire would be quicker? Or would it not because the rear is normally a 10.5"?

The stock MYP setup is
21 x 9.5" +40 Front and 21 x 10.5" +48 Rear
Tire Size: 255/35ZR21 98W Front. 275/35R21 103W XL Rear.

In general the smaller wheel and tire combination will weigh less, may offer slightly improved acceleration, i.e. a small fraction of a second faster. For best stability and control at higher speeds a larger, heavier wheel would be best. A wider stance tire, especially front tire, will have lower efficiency due to the larger cross sectional area. A wider tire can provide better grip and handling. In moderate to deep snow conditions a narrower tire would tend to dig in for better traction and not ride on top of the packed snow.

An 8.5" tire may not have the required load index of 104 (1984 lbs) that Tesla specifies for the tires with its 19" wheels.

Last edited:
Okay, thanks. I will be going with a 19 x 9.5" +45 for both front and rear and use a 255/45R tire. So that should be fine for the load index.
And the front will be the same width/stance as the factory tire (255). But the rear will be downsizing from a 275 to 255..

So it should not effect range negatively it sounds like, but not sure how the smaller rear width (275 to a 255) will affect acceleration.

So many variables....

Okay, thanks. I will be going with a 19 x 9.5" +45 for both front and rear and use a 255/45R tire. So that should be fine for the load index.
And the front will be the same width/stance as the factory tire (255). But the rear will be downsizing from a 275 to 255..

So it should not effect range negatively it sounds like, but not sure how the smaller rear width (275 to a 255) will affect acceleration.

So many variables....
Your range will improve (~ 7 % to 10%) with the 19" wheels. This is due to the weight reduction of the wheels, tire combo.