Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on Model Y Winter Tire Modification to 18"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I purchased my Model Y at the beginning of October. I live in Canada so I will require winter tires. I was looking through the threads and saw people discussing 235/55R18 tires and 18" wheels.

Are there any warranty issues if I modify my Model Y wheels and tires?

Does anyone have any links to recommend affordable rims for the 18" that will fit the model Y?

I appreciate all of the help! This is my first car I've ever bought; crazy that I was able to get an electric car!

Sorry, idk the answer to your q's b/c I looked only briefly into 18" before deciding on 19" for my winter set. What stopped me from looking farther was very little clearing between calipers and discs in 18" config. There are plenty of ppl successfully using 18" on MY so I am sure someone will give you a better answer than I.

Upvote 0
I have fast co evo1+ 18” rims fitted kumho 235/55 18 solus4s na32 all weather,so far no problems, but noisy, hope they become quieter as the miles increase

Attachments

• IMG_1075.jpeg
    IMG_1075.jpeg
    574.8 KB · Views: 169
Upvote 0
Hello,

I purchased my Model Y at the beginning of October. I live in Canada so I will require winter tires. I was looking through the threads and saw people discussing 235/55R18 tires and 18" wheels.

Are there any warranty issues if I modify my Model Y wheels and tires?

Does anyone have any links to recommend affordable rims for the 18" that will fit the model Y?

I appreciate all of the help! This is my first car I've ever bought; crazy that I was able to get an electric car!
You don't mention if you have the Long Range or the Performance version of the Model Y.

For our Long Range I have a set of 235/55R18. New wheels/tires do not affect the warranty (unless you break something during install I guess?). I bought a set of Replika 241 rims and Continental Viking tires from PMC in Quebec. Shipped to my door balanced and ready to mount for ~ $2500 including tax and TMPS sensors. While you don't need the sensors I would recommend getting them so the tire pressure warning message goes away.

For our Performance model I have a set of michelin X-ice tires 255/45R19 on similar rims.

There are lots of threads if you search for winter tires to help with more advice and other suggestions as well.

Upvote 0
Do you have a model Y or a model 3? I ask because the wheels you listed are only listed as fitting the model 3.

Thanks,

Keith
Not sure if they fit, but check the load rating on them. I don’t believe they are rated for them Model Y with two motors. Fast Wheels has good communication. They let me know their Replika R241 18x8.5” would fit my MYLR and it did. This was back in 2020 before anyone really knew.

Upvote 0
I have a LR Model Y with 18" rims from a Model 3. There are (at least) two versions of the 18" rims on the Model 3, the ones I have are rated for the Model Y weight (both fit physically fine). I run X-Ice 235/55R18 and have no issues at all. I average around 271 Wh/mi on those (~4,000mi last winter).

On the same set of rims I just installed (~600 miles so far) the Kumho Majesty 9 Solus TA91 XL in 235/55R18. They are a little noisy and I average around 255Wh/mi (on OEM I averaged 246Wh/mi over 28k miles). They are a little rougher than expected, I was hoping the additional sidewall would help soften the ride. The X-Ice do ride softer.

Upvote 0
Pretty much any 18" will fit the LR as far as I know.

Only some 18" fit on the Performance. If you have a LR Model Y, don't worry about it, the brakes are smaller.
I disagree. I had the same impression that all 18 will fit the Y, and found out thats not the case the hard way. The RTX rims I bought brand new doesn’t fit the front as the front brake calliper seem slightly larger than the back. Now I have to sell the brand new tires and rims and trying to find another set that will fit.

Upvote 0
You have a Long Range?
I disagree. I had the same impression that all 18 will fit the Y, and found out thats not the case the hard way. The RTX rims I bought brand new doesn’t fit the front as the front brake calliper seem slightly larger than the back. Now I have to sell the brand new tires and rims and trying to find another set that will fit.

Upvote 0
Can you link these rims? I’m curious to see the details.

I just ordered a set of 18 wheels and hoping they fit. I also have a 2023 MYLR
They should fit. Should...

We actually just put a set of "non-fitting" (According to tire rack) 18" wheels on my friend's 2023 MYP. The only thing we had to do was remove the metal caliper covers on the rear calipers. The front caliper fitment was no issue, there was actually a lot of clearance up there. It's only the rears we had to worry about.

With the "beauty cover" removed by taking out a single allen-head bolt, it added a lot of room for the 18s. They technically fit before, but the balancing weights were a hairs-width away from the caliper and it was way too close for comfort. I installed low profile balancing weights too, standard sticky weights would rub.

FWIW these were 18" ASA branded Tire Rack wheels from his old 2020 Model 3. Got away without having to purchase new wheels for winter on this car.

Last edited:
Upvote 0