Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a used 2015 90D from Tesla yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally made the plunge. Yes, I'm aware of the 90D potential battery issues, but the car has the 4 yr/50K bumper to bumper so I'm not worried at all.

2015 90D with ~31K miles, with the following options:

Model S 90D
All-Wheel Drive
Range Upgrade
Pearl White Multi-Coat Paint
All Glass Panoramic Roof
21" Silver Turbine Wheels
Grey Next Generation Seats
Piano Black Décor
White Alcantara Headliner
Autopilot Hardware 1 with Convenience Features
Premium Interior and Lighting
Smart Air Suspension
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Rear Facing Seats

It was the only car that met my color/options combination that had the rear child seats. We have 2 toddlers so they will come very handy. Paid $52.9K, will be taking delivery in the next few days.

manheimsandiego_5yjsa1v27ff099299_closeups_cu-24.jpg
manheimsandiego_5yjsa1v27ff099299_closeups_cu-23.jpg
manheimsandiego_5yjsa1v27ff099299_closeups_cu-21.jpg

Attachments

• manheimsandiego_5yjsa1v27ff099299_closeups_cu-18.jpg
    manheimsandiego_5yjsa1v27ff099299_closeups_cu-18.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 87
  • manheimsandiego_5yjsa1v27ff099299_closeups_cu-3.jpg
    manheimsandiego_5yjsa1v27ff099299_closeups_cu-3.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 90
Looks good. I am not a fan of the 21" wheels since they aren't as practical but it seems like a good price especially with the rear seats.
Not a fan either, but other than the wheels, it had almost everything I wanted. Free Superchrging would have been nice, but it's not a deal breaker.

I'll most probably end up trading the wheels with somebody for 19" wheels.

Reactions: erik_k
Looks good. I am not a fan of the 21" wheels since they aren't as practical but it seems like a good price especially with the rear seats.

Why are they impractical? Normally, (in this context) a 21" wheel is higher performance, less sidewall, more tread on the road. Better handling. But, if it is a summer tire, you would have to change it out or not drive it in the winter. Perhaps you meant this latter issue, which indeed does make the tire less practical. I have 20" all season tires on my Porsche Cayenne. Should be fine in snow. (In the market for a Tesla.)

Why are they impractical? Normally, (in this context) a 21" wheel is higher performance, less sidewall, more tread on the road. Better handling. But, if it is a summer tire, you would have to change it out or not drive it in the winter. Perhaps you meant this latter issue, which indeed does make the tire less practical. I have 20" all season tires on my Porsche Cayenne. Should be fine in snow. (In the market for a Tesla.)
Impractical because they are so fragile

Impractical because they don't last as long and cost more to replace? Even just cost more to replace makes them less practical. You tend to find more summer tires in that size (and that is what Tesla supplies) which require winter changes even in moderate climates. They generally have shorter tread life but I am sure you can find an exception to this.

No serious tester finds super low profile tires significantly better handling. They look better - period end of story. Nothing else is a positive - everything is a negative. They are the high heels of the auto world. I happen to love high heels....

In the interim, I saw a video on the Tesla 90 which said that the 21inch tires have more blow outs and have bent rim issues and short life spans. So yes, that is not too practical. With more tread on pavement, I would think the 21s would have better traction, but specially in the corners. How much better than the 19s, and whether it is worth the aggrevation, are different questions. I gather some people put 19 inch wheels on in the winter. Kapone, please keep us posted on your experience.

Well...this sucks.

Reached San Diego with my family, planning to spend a few days there, pick up the car and drive cross country back to Maryland. Except...

While the car was in fantastic shape with no difference from what was advertised...they expected me to pay the CA sales tax of 7.75% AND the MD sales tax of 6%. WTF?!?! I've never heard of paying sales tax twice on any car from any state of any brand. And this is AFTER I confirmed with them, before flying out to CA that I'll be charged the MD sales tax only, with ~$300 for tag/title etc.

Lots of back and forth between Tesla folks with zero results and lots of apologies. They finally offered to ship it to MD at no cost or a full refund, so that I won't be charged the CA sales tax, but now I've blown ~$4,000 on a trip that should have been less than half that, with no car to show for it.

Still trying to decide if I want to go through with this. Pretty pissed off.

• Informative
Reactions: morrisdl
Well...this sucks.

Reached San Diego with my family, planning to spend a few days there, pick up the car and drive cross country back to Maryland. Except...

While the car was in fantastic shape with no difference from what was advertised...they expected me to pay the CA sales tax of 7.75% AND the MD sales tax of 6%. WTF?!?! I've never heard of paying sales tax twice on any car from any state of any brand. And this is AFTER I confirmed with them, before flying out to CA that I'll be charged the MD sales tax only, with ~$300 for tag/title etc.

Lots of back and forth between Tesla folks with zero results and lots of apologies. They finally offered to ship it to MD at no cost or a full refund, so that I won't be charged the CA sales tax, but now I've blown ~$4,000 on a trip that should have been less than half that, with no car to show for it.

Still trying to decide if I want to go through with this. Pretty pissed off.

Yeah almost got burned by that myself. Any car purchase in California collects California state tax. They would have shipped it to Vegas for free where you wouldn't have had to deal with it.

Kinda surprised they dont make that more apparent for people picking up in CA, total BS.

Yeah almost got burned by that myself. Any car purchase in California collects California state tax. They would have shipped it to Vegas for free where you wouldn't have had to deal with it.

Kinda surprised they dont make that more apparent for people picking up in CA, total BS.
That's my point. I "specifically" clarified with them before flying out, and they said, yup, MD tax only.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
That's my point. I "specifically" clarified with them before flying out, and they said, yup, MD tax only.

One thing you will learn if you haven't already, tesla sales reps are inept. You could ask the same question 5 times and get 5 different answers. It's unfortunate that you got bogus info but at this point I would take them up on their offer to ship it for free if you like the car otherwise.

California has a stupid law unlike all other states to collect sales tax even when taken out of state and sales tax paid in other state. that law was up for repeal but the repeal failed. Moronic of Tesla to not tell you that, and to do not simply ship car across the line to Nevada for you to take delivery there.

Elon can't wait for AGI so that he can replace all stupid employees with robots.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
California has a stupid law unlike all other states to collect sales tax even when taken out of state and sales tax paid in other state. that law was up for repeal but the repeal failed. Moronic of Tesla to not tell you that, and to do not simply ship car across the line to Nevada for you to take delivery there.

Elon can't wait for AGI so that he can replace all stupid employees with robots.

Gee, and I thought MD was bad. The CA law is actually dumb. It is mostly for the uninformed. Anyone else will avoid registering the car in CA as long as possible. If CA is calling it a sales tax, it may even be unconstitutional, as no sale took place in CA.

Gee, and I thought MD was bad. The CA law is actually dumb. It is mostly for the uninformed. Anyone else will avoid registering the car in CA as long as possible. If CA is calling it a sales tax, it may even be unconstitutional, as no sale took place in CA.
Technically the sale is complete after signing for it, which occurs at pick up, so yeah the sale occurs in the state. However it is bogus

What is even more stupid is that I was being forced to pay the MD tax "in addition" to the CA tax. There's something called a "Reciprocity agreement" that handles these kinds of situations where if you paid more sales tax on a car in a state different than your home state, you can apply for a refund of the difference in your home state.

If Tesla had said, pay the CA sales tax because you're taking delivery here and you go figure out what the situation is in your home state, that would have been logical. The fact that I was expected to pay both taxes is 100% illogical. It's as if California is trying to say, "yeah we're CA, we don't give a $hit about other states or laws. My way or the highway".