Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought CPO Model S yesterday and now Tesla says they made a mistake and will not honor the Price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding of the deposit is it says you are agreeing to buy X car at Y price, and if you don’t, you forfeit the deposit.

Now if Tesla changes something on their end, through no fault of your own (like the price or the specific car), they’ve changed the terms of that deposit and you’re due a refund if you don’t accept them.
So the contract is binding to only one party - the buyer. The seller, as long as they are an official dealer, have absolutely zero obligation to deliver on the contract. Welcome to the real world.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Hi All

Thanks for the input and support. I really appreciate it.
I am just bummed, it is not that they are changing the terms as they please, it is how one-sided the laws are in favor of big companies and corporations. As someone rightly mentioned, if I "ordered a car by mistake" would they refund my money.
Also, there are other cars selling at about the same price with less mileage but they want to increase the price on the one I ordered, sound a typical bait-n-switch move.
The car is a 60D upgraded to 75D and was listed for $51,100, there are at least 2 more around that price and with almost similar features. They want $64.500 for it now. 90Ds are with similar milage and features are selling for way less. See for yourselves:

75D - 143785 San Diego Pickup $56,200 N Miles 15,456 3,400 1.0 Conv Black Solid Tan NextGen 19-Slipstream
90D - 124407 Georgia $54,200 N 23,019 Miles 13,500 1.0 Conv Mdnght Silv Mtlic Grey NextGen 19-Cyclone 90D - 128538 Baltimore Pickup $55,100 N Miles 23,299 20,600 1.0 Conv Pearl White Grey NextGen 19-Cyclone

I have written to customer service and the corporate HQ and even tweeted at @elonmusk.

Thanks again!!

Sadly, they can. I went through something similar on a new ICE car. Went to the dealer, found that the car I want is in transit to the dealer, spent couple of hours negotiating, we agreed on the price, signed a contract, I put down a deposit, car was supposed to arrive in a few days. A day or two later, I get a phone call that "the sales manager made a mistake, and the price is 10% higher". I spoke with an attorney and it turns out the dealer association over the years has sucessfully lobbied for some great laws to car dealers - after signing the contract I am the only one obligated. The dealer can refund my deposit and sell to someone else up until they hand me the keys. On the other hand, if I wanted out, they could actually sue me for the entire price of the car (though typically they would just keep my deposit and move on).

So, while Tesla and NADA and not friends, it doesn't stop Tesla from benefiting from laws paid for by NADA.

Ps) I complained to Toyota corporate about the aforementioned dealer experience, they told me they can't force the dealer to honor the contract because they are independent from Toyota, but at least they offered me $500 cash if I still bought a Toyota at any other dealer, which I did. Tesla being their own dealer, there would be nobody to complain to.

Hmmmm is tesla part of the NADA i think not based on the exclusions in texas and michigan

My understanding of the deposit is it says you are agreeing to buy X car at Y price, and if you don’t, you forfeit the deposit.

Now if Tesla changes something on their end, through no fault of your own (like the price or the specific car), they’ve changed the terms of that deposit and you’re due a refund if you don’t accept them.

Many posts here about getting a refund/transfer of deposit.

Lots of retailers have honored price mistakes for us over the years. I've flown to Iceland for $60 .Depends on the company.

In my case Delivery manager sent me an email confirming that EAP will be on my 2015 MS and I'll request they add it somehow or add free SC toward a M3 that does have EAP (same price after tax credit)

Last edited:
I'm sorry to learn of your troubles! Based on my many positive experiences with Tesla, though, I wouldn't be inclined to call this "bait and switch". It sounds more like someone making a mistake for some reason.

In any case, $64,500 does seem high for a 75D. Is it a very new car? Does it have additional options? If you can find a comparable car for a price that you like, it's probably not worth investing too much energy on the first car. That said, I'm glad that you escalated the issue because Tesla shouldn't be squandering goodwill with customers like this.

We acquired our pre-owned Model S from Tesla in 2016 and are very thankful to be Tesla owners.
The car is a 60D upgraded to 75D and was listed for $51,100, there are at least 2 more around that price and with almost similar features. They want $64.500 for it now. 90Ds are with similar milage and features are selling for way less. See for yourselves:

75D - 143785 San Diego Pickup $56,200 N Miles 15,456 3,400 1.0 Conv Black Solid Tan NextGen 19-Slipstream
90D - 124407 Georgia $54,200 N 23,019 Miles 13,500 1.0 Conv Mdnght Silv Mtlic Grey NextGen 19-Cyclone 90D - 128538 Baltimore Pickup $55,100 N Miles 23,299 20,600 1.0 Conv Pearl White Grey NextGen 19-Cyclone

I have written to customer service and the corporate HQ and even tweeted at @elonmusk.

My two cents: be polite and understanding while trying to find a middle ground. No, they are not required to sell you the car (in other countries they would) but you deserve some fair compensation for your trouble, especially if you are committed to join the Tesla family.

Perhaps they can waive shipping for any other car that you might want? Or the can give you extended warranty at no cost? Extended free supercharging? You might end up getting a different kind of good deal after all.

Reactions: vickh
To be completely honest I don't think I'd buy a CPO Model S right now unless it was a really good deal.

I expect to see the price of the used Model S to continue to drop especially with the 70/75 batteries. It's just really hard for a used car to compete with a new car that's priced so competitively.

As an example lets assume the price of the CPO Model S is $51,1000

For that money you can get the Model 3 AWD along with EAP, and maybe some small option. The reason is you get the $3750 federal tax refund, and possibility the California $2500 state rebate.

What does the CPO Model S really have to warrant getting it? Especially when Tesla doesn't refurbish anything, and won't even let you test drive it.

Better looks
More room
Better UI layout
Heated Steering wheel (possibly)
Automatic Lift gate (possibly)

At $51K for it's a tough decision.

If the Model S is a lot higher then it becomes harder and harder to justify.

My two cents: be polite and understanding while trying to find a middle ground. No, they are not required to sell you the car (in other countries they would) but you deserve some fair compensation for your trouble, especially if you are committed to join the Tesla family.

Perhaps they can waive shipping for any other car that you might want? Or the can give you extended warranty at no cost? Extended free supercharging? You might end up getting a different kind of good deal after all.

good advice
wonder what lifetime free supercharging costs Tesla?

I know EAP is a 5k upgrade on the M3, but doesn't cost them extra like it would on my 2015 MS

To be completely honest I don't think I'd buy a CPO Model S right now unless it was a really good deal.

I expect to see the price of the used Model S to continue to drop especially with the 70/75 batteries. It's just really hard for a used car to compete with a new car that's priced so competitively.

As an example lets assume the price of the CPO Model S is $51,1000

For that money you can get the Model 3 AWD along with EAP, and maybe some small option. The reason is you get the $3750 federal tax refund, and possibility the California $2500 state rebate.

What does the CPO Model S really have to warrant getting it? Especially when Tesla doesn't refurbish anything, and won't even let you test drive it.

Better looks
More room
Better UI layout
Heated Steering wheel (possibly)
Automatic Lift gate (possibly)

At $51K for it's a tough decision.

If the Model S is a lot higher then it becomes harder and harder to justify.

Mine was $40K which is the same as MR M3- Fed tax credit. But it has free AP+SC

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Are we still holding on to the idea that buying from Tesla is so much better than buying from a regular dealer?

New? Yes

Used? No. Even the greasy hair stealership will let me test drive the car before signing for it.

If you look at the complaints on TMC the vast majority of the Model S/X buying experiences are with CPO's. Of being lied to, or the car not being what was promised. Just massive thread after thread.

I was so hesitant in trading in my car not because Tesla would give me less money, but that Tesla would sell it as a CPO and my car deserved better. :)

At this point Tesla has to decide whether they really want to improve the CPO buying experience or if they should simply partner up with someone like CarMax to do it.

Last edited:
New? Yes

Used? No. Even the greasy hair stealership will let me test drive the car before signing for it.

If you look at the complaints on TMC the vast majority of the Model S/X buying experiences are with CPO's. Of being lied to, or the car not being what was promised. Just massive thread after thread.

I was so hesitant in trading in my car not because Tesla would give me less money, but that Tesla would sell it as a CPO and my car deserved better. :)

At this point Tesla has to decide whether they really want to improve the CPO buying experience or if they should simply partner up with someone like CarMax to do it.

It's a shame they can't hire a few guys from Kia CPO to run it... :p

Look how well Kia customers are treated...

{{mctrl.meta.metaTitle}}

Reactions: Inside
I don’t know about the law in CA, but getting a lawyer will probably cost you too much to be worth the trouble. Assuming you’d even get anything.

You might want to present your case to the local TV news. Many stations (at least here) routinely have a “help out the consumer who got hosed” type of feature once a week.

Even if that doesn’t motivate them to honor the lower price, at least it lets more people know the shady stuff that goes on. Daily price changes of $1000 or so are ludicrous and not in a good way.

Reactions: Foxyboy