Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought M3 with EAP end of 2018. Was sure it included FSD. Am I wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was the point when Tesla just introduced Enhanced AutoPilot and removed FSD, with Elon saying that FSD was too confusing to people. I understood it as they were just renaming FSD to EAP to avoid unrealistic expectations.. So I plunked down $5k thinking that I'm actually paying for FSD.

$59k total cost.

After visiting the store and with last week's email I was disheartened to learn that to get FSD I have to pay another $3k!!

I ate up the "Tesla is a technology company, not a car company" when fit-and-finish issues came up, but this one put it over the top for me. I feel mislead, f**d around with, and cheated.

Am I the only one who feels that way?

• Funny
Reactions: Maaz
That was the point when Tesla just introduced Enhanced AutoPilot and removed FSD, with Elon saying that FSD was too confusing to people. I understood it as they were just renaming FSD to EAP to avoid unrealistic expectations.. So I plunked down $5k thinking that I'm actually paying for FSD.

$59k total cost.

After visiting the store and with last week's email I was disheartened to learn that to get FSD I have to pay another $3k!!

I ate up the "Tesla is a technology company, not a car company" when fit-and-finish issues came up, but this one put it over the top for me. I feel mislead, f**d around with, and cheated.

EAP was never FSD. They took FSD off menu for a while while they changed structure, but I dont understand how you could possibly have interpreted that to mean they were equivalent.

The description of EAP was very clear when you purchased it that it would never include city driving.

So yes, I assume very few people feel the way you do

EAP was never FSD. They took FSD off menu for a while while they changed structure, but I dont understand how you could possibly have interpreted that to mean they were equivalent.

The description of EAP was very clear when you purchased it that it would never include city driving.

So yes, I assume very few people feel the way you do

No, it never said that it didn't include city driving, or that it excluded anything else in the description of EAP.

I agree with @kwest2 : What counts is what's written down, and not verbal assurance or interpretation of how to solve the FSD confusion.

It's not about written vs verbal. It's like if you were shopping for a data plan and you had two options - limited and unlimited. Then the carrier changed the unlimited to "awesome" and started selling it for the same price. You buy the awesome thinking it's unlimited. Then carrier comes back and says, no, for unlimited you have to pay extra now.

• Disagree
Reactions: LuPapa and MrBadger
It's not about written vs verbal. It's like if you were shopping for a data plan and you had two options - limited and unlimited. Then the carrier changed the unlimited to "awesome" and started selling it for the same price. You buy the awesome thinking it's unlimited. Then carrier comes back and says, no, for unlimited you have to pay extra now.

Not in the least. It's more like the carrier said "we sell limited and unlimited". Then a year later, "we are reworking unlimited, we only sell limited for now". And you for some reason, despite the name, feature set description, and price not changing thought "oh, I guess limited = unlimited now!".

Tesla is not responsible for the fact that you did not properly research what you were buying. It was spelled out extremely clearly what enhanced auto pilot gave you.

$59k total cost.

Your lucky they are offering it to you at 3k, it was originally supposed to be 4k or 5k more if you purchased it later.

heres my invoice

Attachments

• pa.JPG
    pa.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: TMThree
Did you read what I wrote? No-one talked about FSD anymore - they replaced FSD with EAP without any explanation given at that time! (It's not my job to know to ask for off-menu options!!) Elon tweeted that FSD was too confusing. I think it was natural to interpret that EAP was a moniker for FSD.

Yes, we read what you wrote. One may suggest that you could benefit from re-reading it and thinking about what you said.

Prior to your purchase, Tesla was selling EAP for $5k and FSD for an additional $3k.
Tesla then stopped selling FSD.
They continued selling EAP for the same $5k.
Tesla was talking about FSD - saying it was confusing and that they stopped selling it.

I dont think anyone can point to anything Tesla said that indicated the $5k EAP option was now the same as the prior $5k +$3k options.

I suspect few would find the misinterpretation above natural.

Did you read what I wrote? No-one talked about FSD anymore - they replaced FSD with EAP without any explanation given at that time! (It's not my job to know to ask for off-menu options!!) Elon tweeted that FSD was too confusing. I think it was natural to interpret that EAP was a moniker for FSD.

They did not replace FSD with EAP. They both existed prior to the short time FSD wasn’t available. If you thought you were getting a $3000 discount that’s on you.