Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought used car with AP 1.0 computer but Can't Upgrade/Add-Auto-Pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a used 2015 Model S with the AP 1.0 computer and I don't think it has the software but when I go to Software Upgrades, it says that I have all the upgrades and nothing is available. Shouldn't it tell me the cost of adding the Auto-Pilot software?

Same thing when I go and try to upgrade in the car too. Any idea what this means?

Attachments

• IMG_5079.PNG
    IMG_5079.PNG
    279.8 KB · Views: 781
FYI - I just bought a 2016 S 90D in the same situation - says no software upgrade but that only applies to newer cars - the software for this car AP1 is referred to as Highway Autopilot - it was Just under $3,100 to activate it, Trying to figure these cars out is quire challenging and of course Tesla is no help - they will tell you buy the car and then make an appointment in the Tesla app - the only way - and don't bother trying to call or chat with anyone - once you make an appointment in the Tesla app - then chat and ask questions - they generally provide an answer not always the correct one. I was told I could not software update my car when in fact that was not correct.

Upvote 0
FYI - I just bought a 2016 S 90D in the same situation - says no software upgrade but that only applies to newer cars - the software for this car AP1 is referred to as Highway Autopilot - it was Just under $3,100 to activate it, Trying to figure these cars out is quire challenging and of course Tesla is no help - they will tell you buy the car and then make an appointment in the Tesla app - the only way - and don't bother trying to call or chat with anyone - once you make an appointment in the Tesla app - then chat and ask questions - they generally provide an answer not always the correct one. I was told I could not software update my car when in fact that was not correct.
Yea, I've done a few rounds with this. Whenever I've gotten someone to say they can do it, I go to a service center and they say it can't be done. ;(

Upvote 0
Nope. Gave up after going back and forth with Tesla saying yes and then no three times.
That sucks! I did find one additional thing just recently. If you go to the software tab where you can see that you have autopilot 1.0 computer. It says view addition vehicle information below that and I read at least one thread saying if you select that option it will tell you if it's actually enabled or not. But I'm here looking for answers obviously like you are. If I buy the one I'm looking at and find anything more concrete I'll respond again.

Upvote 0
That sucks! I did find one additional thing just recently. If you go to the software tab where you can see that you have autopilot 1.0 computer. It says view addition vehicle information below that and I read at least one thread saying if you select that option it will tell you if it's actually enabled or not. But I'm here looking for answers obviously like you are. If I buy the one I'm looking at and find anything more concrete I'll respond again.
Hi, please see my post on this thread from Jan 22, 2023 it's actually easy to get AP activated if you follow the instructions in there. Not sure why everyone is making it seem so difficult.

Upvote 0
Ok guys, I want to share my experience. I bought a Model S about 2 months ago with AP1 hardware, but no autopilot. At first I ran into the same thing like others, the techs told me there is no such thing. The 6th person I spoke to scheduled another appointment for me, then I got message telling me that I can get it enabled remotely for $3000 plus tax. After I submitted payment, they sent a firmware remotely. 2 hours later I was driving on the freeway with auto steer and auto cruise control. I have attached all of the info I have. Hopefully others have the same luck I got. Thank you to Dreier for the info. If not for your post from January I would've give up long ago.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

Upvote 0
Didn't you say your AP1 worked before the MCU infotainment upgrade and after you got it back the option was no longer there? ;);)
YESSSS....too bad they already have my messages to the contrary, although the way their service dept is run, no one is going to look at previous messages. They don't even seem to look at messages IN the same thread that deals with your current issue.

• Funny
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Upvote 0
Have any car owners outside the United States successfully activated ap1.0? The service center in China said that they no longer have the authority to request the server to push software with ap1.0, and such an option cannot be found on their operating devices. I said that there have been successful launches in North America recently, but they said that the situation outside US is different. Only versions 2.0 and later can be purchased from them for a fee - but these versions can be purchased on the car owner's app, what's the point.

Upvote 0