Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought used car with AP 1.0 computer but Can't Upgrade/Add-Auto-Pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a used 2015 Model S with the AP 1.0 computer and I don't think it has the software but when I go to Software Upgrades, it says that I have all the upgrades and nothing is available. Shouldn't it tell me the cost of adding the Auto-Pilot software?

Same thing when I go and try to upgrade in the car too. Any idea what this means?

Attachments

• IMG_5079.PNG
    IMG_5079.PNG
    279.8 KB · Views: 788
Can you post some snapshots of the car settings screen.
AP needs to be enabled in the Autopilot menu.

487982EE-FCCD-4EE7-B99D-A544D7BC1449.png

found this on internet, it’s from an older sw version, but the menus are about the same.

If you don’t see that menu, then as mentioned earlier, the previous owner did not pay for that option, hence its not enabled.
I would not be surprised it’s not available as an upgrade on the app: there must be so few cases like that that it’s not worth the effort.
Just contact the service center.

Upvote 0
They stopped putting AP1 in cars long before they added the software upgrade page in the UI and the app.

My guess is there was no need or desire to even put any development work into adding it to the upgrade page at all, especially with the low number of AP1 cars in the world.

Best way is contact a service center and have them activate it.
Thank you! I scheduled a service but I would think they'd just able to fix it remotely? I haven't gotten any further info from them yet.

Upvote 0
By logic, since it's software, paying it online and Service Center should be able to activate it remotely.
You would think but talking with Tesla it seems either the person doesn’t know that they’re talking about or I have some kind of weird AP version?

Advisor claims my car HAS AP but not the “normal” AP 1.0 that has now been renamed Highway Autopilot. He says it only has Lane Assist and Steering Assist etc…but those aren’t even options in my car.

Do I have an Advisor that has no idea what he’s saying?!

Attachments

• 636A6755-E70C-4213-9ACB-DFCD46D5064C.png
    636A6755-E70C-4213-9ACB-DFCD46D5064C.png
    300 KB · Views: 161
  • CA07F72F-FDC6-47D0-825A-D9782FE70E24.png
    CA07F72F-FDC6-47D0-825A-D9782FE70E24.png
    308.2 KB · Views: 148
Upvote 0
Your advisor is wrong. If, as you've said above, you have AP1 hardware but pulling back twice on the stalk doesn't activate autopilot, it is not active on your car. This is rare but has been the case with a few others on this forum. Posting some pictures of the screen in the car, and / or your phone app (scroll down on the main screen and hit 'specs and warranty'), will confirm.

Where you are also barking up the wrong tree is thinking that you should be able to buy AP1 through your app. Sure, that would make sense, but it's not something Tesla has ever offered. You cannot and will not buy or otherwise activate AP through the phone app.

There are two ways to get AP on your car. The first is to find a service center who knows what they're talking about, and / or cares enough to research it. They can, and should, activate AP for a fee. The second is to talk to someone who knows how to tinker with these cars and ask them to activate it for you. It might be worth the road trip.

One final thought: If the service advisor with whom you've been corresponding is adamant that you already have AP1.0, then the only possible conclusion (albeit one that would be erroneous) must be that your AP is broken. So take it to the service center and ask them to fix it for you :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
... and because I'm bored and should be working, I did a little digging on Cargurus.

Here: CarGurus - 2015 Tesla Model S 70D AWD - $30,930 is a car in a similar situation to yours. (Bonus, for 'Crazy Ex Girlfriend' fans, it's in West Covina.) Look at the screenshots. It has the AP1.0 computer but autopilot is not active.

2015_tesla_model_s-pic-3880995428919633333-1024x768.jpeg

2015_tesla_model_s-pic-5448425341597341123-1024x768.jpeg

Here, on the other hand, is a car with AP1 active:

See the difference?

2015_tesla_model_s-pic-823481680518069119-1024x768.jpeg

2015_tesla_model_s-pic-7929203186090354029-1024x768.jpeg

Upvote 0
... and because I'm bored and should be working, I did a little digging on Cargurus.

Here: CarGurus - 2015 Tesla Model S 70D AWD - $30,930 is a car in a similar situation to yours. (Bonus, for 'Crazy Ex Girlfriend' fans, it's in West Covina.) Look at the screenshots. It has the AP1.0 computer but autopilot is not active.

View attachment 884564
View attachment 884566

Here, on the other hand, is a car with AP1 active:

See the difference?

View attachment 884569

View attachment 884570
Yes. I see that and totally understand them not having the ability to upgrade via app (although a search of these forums told me instances where someone in this situation could upgrade via app).

The confusing part is when the service advisor tells you that no software upgrades are available for you and as we both know, s/he is wrong but we also know that going from wrong to hey, let me turn that on for you because you should have it are two very different things.

He seems adamant that my car can/does not have any more software for it. So this leaves me with finding someone who both understands the issue and is willing to do something about it. I'm not fully aware that those two things are not necessarily easily found at most Tesla SCs :(

Reactions: henderrj and JimmyB
Upvote 0
Yes. I see that and totally understand them not having the ability to upgrade via app (although a search of these forums told me instances where someone in this situation could upgrade via app).

The confusing part is when the service advisor tells you that no software upgrades are available for you and as we both know, s/he is wrong but we also know that going from wrong to hey, let me turn that on for you because you should have it are two very different things.

He seems adamant that my car can/does not have any more software for it. So this leaves me with finding someone who both understands the issue and is willing to do something about it. I'm not fully aware that those two things are not necessarily easily found at most Tesla SCs :(

It's straightforward: He's not educated on AP1. Someone needs to school him.

He assumed instead of asking the right question: Does your software menu say: "Highway Autopilot: Included package"?

He assumes that every AP1 car had that on their software menu even when the car AP1 was not paid.

Very classic!

Once he acknowledges that your car is missing "Highway Autopilot: Included package," the next challenging issue is to beg him to take your money and turn that on!

Upvote 0
It's straightforward: He's not educated on AP1. Someone needs to school him.

He assumed instead of asking the right question: Does your software menu say: "Highway Autopilot: Included package"?

He assumes that every AP1 car had that on their software menu even when the car AP1 was not paid.

Very classic!

Once he acknowledges that your car is missing "Highway Autopilot: Included package," the next challenging issue is to beg him to take your money and turn that on!
A little update on this saga:

Armed with this info, I messaged Tesla about my upcoming appointment to get my infotainment upgraded. The argued with the advisor and s/he finally said I could get it if I came into a service center. Went into SC, got the infotainment. Asked them to turn in AP. Was told no, their resident tech guru Scott looked into my VIN and vehicle records and said it’s not possible. I even showed them in my app where the SA said it was possible…no dice. This is the Tampa service center on N Florida btw who handled my infotainment within 24 hours. They seem nice enough..

What to do now?! I can’t seem to win this no matter what. Do I tweet Musk?! Saying I’d love to throw some money at them but their SCs don’t seem to want to cooperate. Shareholders should be rolling over…seems like their SCs are gonna be the death of them.

Upvote 0
You may just have to try multiple service centers until you find one that will play ball. Frustrating, because what you're asking for should be eminently possible.

Given your location, also have a chat with Electrified Garage and / or 057tech to see if they can help.

Upvote 0
I know! You want to give them an easy software way, to make money!

It's nuts!
Interesting development as I try to pay for AP now with the move towards vision and removing radar the new software update. How does affect older MS cars without the cameras needed for vision? Is radar still going to be removed? Or am I misunderstanding the issue and it’s affect? I don’t have the capacity for auto wipers either so…

I’m also seeing a ton of posts from people who would like to have “dumb cruise control” to avoid the phantom braking and other issues introduced with the recent regression.

Upvote 0
...misunderstanding the issue...
AP1 was designed and sold as ADAS and never to progress to FSD. It's a dead end. You need to pay for AP2 or above for FSD.

AP2 and above were claimed to have all the necessary hardware for FSD.

If AP2 and above are not enough for FSD, then it's up to Tesla to make whole for those who already paid.

Tesla does attempt to make hardware more capable for FSD because you can see that instead of adding more hardware for FSD, Tesla is taking them away, such as radar and sonars, claiming that it's superior.

Upvote 0
I purchased a used 2015 Model S with the AP 1.0 computer and I don't think it has the software but when I go to Software Upgrades, it says that I have all the upgrades and nothing is available. Shouldn't it tell me the cost of adding the Auto-Pilot software?

Same thing when I go and try to upgrade in the car too. Any idea what this means?
Hey, I'm not sure if you're still dealing with this issue but I dealt with exactly the same thing last year with my 2016 Model S 90D.

So, any AP1 cars came with the software as an added feature called "autopilot with convenience features" for $2,500 on new deliveries and $3,000 as an upgrade after. They renamed this "highway autopilot" a few years later to differentiate it from the newer Autopilot packages offered later on for AP2 and AP3 cars.

The Tesla service people generally don't know much about this since they really only deal with AP2 and AP3 cars these days. Most people before 2017 already bought the upgrade since it was only $2,500 so they never see people add it years later like in your case.

In order to get this added, you have to find someone at the service center that knows about it and is willing to help you. I probably had to talk to at least 4 people 2 years ago to get somewhere and get it added. Internally they call it "Monocam Autopilot." They charged me $3k at the service center and then did a software uograde over the air and it took about 3 days for it to get pushed through after payment.

The feature itself is well worth it. It's not FSD and it won't navigate for you but it does about 90% of what you need on the highway and it does it really well. It also does lanw changes and parking assist which is a game chnager in the city. FSD is way more advanced but due to this it is still very far away from its potential use. So AP1 is a great deal and I hope you can get them to enable it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Upvote 0
Hey, I'm not sure if you're still dealing with this issue but I dealt with exactly the same thing last year with my 2016 Model S 90D.

So, any AP1 cars came with the software as an added feature called "autopilot with convenience features" for $2,500 on new deliveries and $3,000 as an upgrade after. They renamed this "highway autopilot" a few years later to differentiate it from the newer Autopilot packages offered later on for AP2 and AP3 cars.

The Tesla service people generally don't know much about this since they really only deal with AP2 and AP3 cars these days. Most people before 2017 already bought the upgrade since it was only $2,500 so they never see people add it years later like in your case.

In order to get this added, you have to find someone at the service center that knows about it and is willing to help you. I probably had to talk to at least 4 people 2 years ago to get somewhere and get it added. Internally they call it "Monocam Autopilot." They charged me $3k at the service center and then did a software uograde over the air and it took about 3 days for it to get pushed through after payment.

The feature itself is well worth it. It's not FSD and it won't navigate for you but it does about 90% of what you need on the highway and it does it really well. It also does lanw changes and parking assist which is a game chnager in the city. FSD is way more advanced but due to this it is still very far away from its potential use. So AP1 is a great deal and I hope you can get them to enable it. Let me know if you have any questions.
Yea, unfortunately for me I found one of those people. They gave me a price and then the service center said that person was wrong and I couldn't do it/my car is not capable even though it VERY CLEARLY says AP 1.0 Hardware on the screen. It seems whenever I've solved this problem, it just comes back to me! :(

Upvote 0
Yea, unfortunately for me I found one of those people. They gave me a price and then the service center said that person was wrong and I couldn't do it/my car is not capable even though it VERY CLEARLY says AP 1.0 Hardware on the screen. It seems whenever I've solved this problem, it just comes back to me! 

Yea, unfortunately for me I found one of those people. They gave me a price and then the service center said that person was wrong and I couldn't do it/my car is not capable even though it VERY CLEARLY says AP 1.0 Hardware on the screen. It seems whenever I've solved this problem, it just comes back to me! :(
I'd go back to the service center and ask them to add Autopilot Basic(150723503-A) I've attached the receipt as proof that it was added to mine along with the info. Hope it helps. Good luck!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230122_231346_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20230122_231346_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 187
Upvote 0