Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought Used Model S from Tesla website, can I extend warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

The original warranty expires this month (Dec 2021).

Online it states the the warranty can be extended within 30 days of expiration. Since I'm the second owner, would I be allowed to extend it? I have the one year used warranty from tesla, however wouldn't mind paying for the Extended Service Plan if if they allow.

Please advise. I can't get a clear answer form tesla, they keep telling me 'good question' and that someone in the service department will get back to me.

Sure you can, from any local Tesla dealer (store). There is also an extended warranty for EVs like tesla offered by Xcelerate X-Care EV Protection, who I believe is an advertiser on this site. The coverage is very similar to Tesla. I previously posted the exclusions by both contracts. Check them both out.

I believe the one-year used car warranty for cars bought directly from Tesla removes the ability to also add-on the ESA.

You get one extra year, and that's it.
Interesting that this is not on the Tesla site anywhere that I can find, but I believe what you are saying. No wonder the local Tesla store does not know if it is offered. In any event, the Xcelerate warranty is available and has only a $100 deductible per service visit. I see the used car warranty is extended for one year after the 4 year factory warranty, or one year if that warranty has expired, but neither of these is a Tesla Extended Service Agreement plan. It is the way the Tesla original warranty works for a non-original owner. Funny Tesla does not state the extended warranty is only available to original owners.

So purchasing from Tesla does have a downside i guess. With not being able to purchase the ESA... The one year used car warranty is nice, but a year passes by so quickly and I'm worried about issues after that.
Sadly, at the present time XCare is only available in the U.S. but we have future expansion plans for Canada. At least a year away, unfortunately.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS
When will you be available in WA?
Sadly, WA is actually harder to set up than anywhere else. Not to bore you with the regulations, but essentially to set up in WA would be cost prohibitive now, or in the foreseeable future. For WA residents that have another property outside WA (second home, vacation home, etc) we can help, but not if the member's sole address is in WA. Sorry, wish we could help, I actually lived in the Seattle area for five years and would love an excuse to visit :)