Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Helvetia (& Tesla?) no longer offering extended warranties

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
Found out today that Helvetia - the official partner for Tesla's extended warranty scheme - are no longer offerig policies to new customers, as of the end of last year.

Was made aware that their website had gone offline recently, and thought that maybe wasn't a good sign, but it has been confirmed this morning that they are out of the game.

Tesla still lists them as the provider on this page.

Annoyingly my car's warranty expires at the end of March and I was planning on extending it by 4 years, because whilst I haven't had anything major go wrong I've had enough bits and pieces to probably justify the cost.

Wonder if this means there won't be any official extended warranty now? The Helvetia one was integrated with the app, so it extended the dates shown by Tesla, and as I understand it warranty jobs just carried on as normal without any fuss.

Lucky I got in with extending my warranty last October. Never had any problems with the car until Christmas Eve. Failed HV battery coolant heater which was replaced no quibble under the Helvetia extended warranty for a grand total of £1600!!
I probably would not have hung on to my car if I couldn’t get an extended warranty.

Found out today that Helvetia - the official partner for Tesla's extended warranty scheme - are no longer offerig policies to new customers, as of the end of last year.

Was made aware that their website had gone offline recently, and thought that maybe wasn't a good sign, but it has been confirmed this morning that they are out of the game.

Tesla still lists them as the provider on this page.

Annoyingly my car's warranty expires at the end of March and I was planning on extending it by 4 years, because whilst I haven't had anything major go wrong I've had enough bits and pieces to probably justify the cost.

Wonder if this means there won't be any official extended warranty now? The Helvetia one was integrated with the app, so it extended the dates shown by Tesla, and as I understand it warranty jobs just carried on as normal without any fuss.
but Helvetia's warratny has soooo many exclussions that it is almost the same as no warranty.. it is better to put same amount as premium aside for anything unexpected

but Helvetia's warratny has soooo many exclussions that it is almost the same as no warranty.. it is better to put same amount as premium aside for anything unexpected
Apocryphal but I've heard that people have had things that are excluded fixed, e.g. condensation in lights, etc. I presume this is because it seemed to be integrated with the app/systems Tesla use, so it appears like it's wasn't scrutinised by techs, etc.

Anyone checked out the Cleevely EV Warranty? Underwritten by A1 Warranty in Leeds - £400 per year, any age vehicle any mileage. Perhaps worth considering once the Tesla motor and battery warranties expire. Max payout of 2.5k per claim though.

EDIT - Remembered them mentioning a specific battery warranty available for 1, 2 or 3 years following an in-depth condition test - no cost mentioned, but a Tweet about it here https://x.com/KateFantom/status/1719852659895574673

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MrBadger

Seems like in similar fashion, the Kia 7 year warranty is not all that is cracked up to be either but I digress.... This has been discussed before and I will mention it again... You dont really have to put money aside. There are plenty of credit cards going with 0% for over 2 years and others to carry on there after with cheap transfers if you need longer...

Looks like they're in the process of setting up a new one. https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/support/extended-warranty now says

The Sales Journey is temporarily unavailable. Contact [email protected] with your Tesla VIN and purchase request.

The date of the request will be honoured to determine your vehicle's eligibility for the program and you will be given an opportunity to complete your purchase at a later stage.

So if anyone is approaching their warranty expiry date (and is interested in an extended warranty), send them an email asap.

I asked about this at my local dealership this week in UK, I was told that the extended warranty is still available, but only when the standard 4-year cover expires. That it's also priced on a car by car basis depending on mileage, wear etc.

I asked about this at my local dealership this week in UK, I was told that the extended warranty is still available, but only when the standard 4-year cover expires. That it's also priced on a car by car basis depending on mileage, wear etc.
Hmmm. The old extended warranty had to be taken out before 4 yrs / 50k miles had elapsed, otherwise it wouldn't be offered. Helvetia withdrew from the market at the end of December, so I don't know who your dealer (do you mean Tesla service centre) was referring to. At present, the website says as has been mentioned above. You have to email in (before 4yrs / 50k miles) and they'll put you on a list which will honour the fact you asked before your Tesla warranty expired.

Reactions: pharwood and Durzel