Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake caliper painting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi TeslaMotorsClub! I am a new model 3 owner and want to get my brake calipers painted. I wanted to find out if anyone else has got their calipers painted and if they have had any issues after painting? Have you painted your calipers with them on or off the vehicle? I consulted with a technician who said they would paint the calipers while on the vehicle, however I heard that this method is dangerous in terms of getting paint in areas that were not intended to. Does anyone have any recommendations for brake caliper painting in the SF Bay area?

Lastly, would painting brake calipers void tesla warranty?

personally i would take them off and powder coat them, you can do them in situ clean everthing down with a good power wash let it dry mask off everthing you dont want to paint easy job and looks ok, i cant see any reason to void your warranty the calipers are coated with either zinc plate or flat black anyway.

Powder coating for sure.
Problem is that it would require fair amount of disassembly with brake line disconnection and complete degreasing, so the car will need to sit in a shop for a little.
Spray painting with quality surface preparation will be not much easier, still significantly weaker coating.

removing them, you are looking at 12-1500 or so from a shop to have them powdercoated and a few days downtime. (basically doing a brake job at the same time)

paint, its a day turn around and results are going to be 90% of what a PC job will yield since its not possible to paint them on the car 100%. But, when looking at the calipers from the side of the car, you will not see anything but painted calipers. If you get the wheel off and crawl under the car, you might see some missed spots that are too tight to get the air brush in...give and take